Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

[edit]
Did it look like temporary materials?
Perhaps it's an easier way to enclose for the purposes of pouring concrete and keeping it warm.

Sure doesn't look temporary!
It's a warming tent.
Those definitely are temporary structures (can easily be disassembled and used elsewhere).

As others have said, it will be a warming tent; it will be wrapped in tarps and surrounded by heaters, so its internal temperature can be kept above freezing while a concrete pour cures. The pour should be for the embedding of the track between the platforms.
Yep. Same deal as other locations, just a different method due to the span.

It's new to us because Conestoga happened over the summer!
Surely there are milestones outlined in the contract but at any time is the delay from Bombardier being considered when these winter concrete pours are scheduled? Just seems like a heck of a lot of a 'make work' project that won't impact the grand scheme of things. Yes multi-million dollar projects have a lot to manage and a lot of subcontractors etc. but it would be reassuring to know the left hand knows what the right hand is doing and mitigate cost overruns
I hate to have to ask this question as I'm sure it's completely stupid and what's more I should know the answer this far along in the game, but... the line essentially ends/begins at Conestoga Mall correct? So will the train simply loop around and go back the direction it came?

Thanks

Yep.
It will have a bit of a break at the mall, but it will eventually just start heading back south.
It doesn't literally loop around - unlike Toronto streetcars, the trains are bidirectional. So it just pulls into Conestoga (or Fairway), then leaves in the opposite direction. This is wahy a crossover exists just before the platforms at the two terminal stations - so it can switch tracks to be going in the right direction.
It's not a stupid question at all!  Just to add a little more information to Markster's (Edit: And Kevin's!) reply, the train will pass through a (double/full) crossover, which permits it to move onto the other track:

Maybe the regions getting a big valentines day gift:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ion...st-1187980

Anyone know how long after delivery we will see it running? I assume not right away.
That's a great question actually, because it now saves me from having to ask about the crossovers! Thanks!!
/\ You're welcome Spokes! Big Grin

And thank you to Markster, KevinL, and Canard for the answers. Much appreciated!

Here goes my stupid question lol : Will the LRT vehicles have cab controls on both ends? Thank you.
Yep! They are completely bi-directional/symmetric.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=106684&d=1398677761]

If you want to get really picky, the only difference is module A, B and C are rigid in "pitch", and D and E are rigid in pitch, with a full 3-axis articulation point between C and D (I really have to get that animation finished I started to explain the fixed bogie and articulation points of our trains...) You could think of it as a 3-module LRV with a 2-module "trailer" coupled to it.

Come to think of it there might only be one pantograph, too - so the "<" would be backward in one direction vs. the other. I can't remember if there are two and they only use them in one direction...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »