Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
They could use flag men at crossings. I've seen them do this in Guelph (OSR/Guelph Junction). But in our case, if the power goes out, and the signals stop, wouldn't the train be dead in its tracks as well?

Lots of rail crossing lights (and crossbucks) went up today between King and Caroline along the spur.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Between King and Caroline... zuh?

Starting at Erb/Caroline, yeah there are lights and arms, there - they've been there for months. So have all the lights in through Waterloo Park. Where exactly are you talking about?
Along the spur, between the streets of Caroline and King.
I'm assuming he means alongside Waterloo Town Square?
What, the one little crossing between the parking lots?
Possibly also King St itself.

And maybe also pedestrian crossings.
Yes, I meant along section along the Waterloo Public Square and the Shops at Waterloo Town Square parking lot. I will try to get actual pictures today. I think I counted at least five or six combined for the parking lot crossing and the pedestrian crossing. I think a saw one of those smaller rail signals between the tracks installed too.

Another thing I have been trying to figure out is at Erb and Caroline. It seems that one of the rail crossing arms has been positioned so that it will hit the road traffic signal.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Ahh, I see what you mean now. I didn't realize there was going to be a pedestrian crossing mid-block, but it makes sense that there is. You're right, it looks like there are at least 4 crossing signals/arms. And yeah there's a dwarf signal here for the switch now, too.

I also got to take a look at the arm at Erb/Caroline above - while driving by, so only a brief glance, but you're right - it totally looks like it's going to hit that other pole. I'll have to check that out in more detail on my bike ride tomorrow when I can stop and examine it for a bit!
Progress on Frederick - tarps are off the embedded track, and the base layer under the platform has been poured.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the date that drum118 provided for the delivery of our first LRV is, as per Region of Waterloo, "Not Accurate."

Details of the departure from Thunder Bay and arrival in the Region will be announced closer to the actual date.
Errant crossing arm installation at Erb/Caroline:

The guide fork at the top is not in the same angular orientation as the drive down below. Both are clamped onto the mast with U-bolts - if the twist the lower drive assembly anticlockwise ~15 degrees, it'd probably work fine.

Saturday, January 28, 2017:

Friday, February 3, 2017

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »