Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Yeah, they're paving it with asphalt this morning. It should be good to go by Wednesday, but of course that's a holiday.

I was walking along the spur this morning when the track laying equipment powered up and started racing me. It was amusing to see the front-end loader wheels travelling in reverse to power the rail wheels forward.

Work on Caroline was continuing. Some of the filtration equipment from the western parking lot has been removed. There was some set up in Waterloo Park on the Northwest bank of Laurel Creek at the spur.

Also, asphalt removal between Laurel Creek and the rail crossing on Caroline was beginning this morning.

The GRT detours page suggests that Caroline will be closed to GRT traffic through September 2015. Makes sense seeing as they still need to complete the William/Caroline intersection and replace the tracks at Erb. At least they've been doing work every day I've passed by, most of the time with multiple crews working simultaneously.

Also, I did some basic calculations based off the presentation made to the Region in March and one could presume that the King stretch from Union to Wellington is past the halfway mark. In theory, we should start to see the outer ends of that stretch with the top layer of asphalt in place over the coming weeks.
You were walking along the tracks?
On the path beside them from Erb to Seagram through Waterloo Park, so not on the spur itself, but close enough.
Ahh gotcha. I saw lots of folks walking along the right of way behind McCormick Arena/Quiet Place during the Bearanger construction, and wondered why they thought it was OK to walk through a construction zone (or on train tracks, however infrequent the traffic on it may be). Being a train fan from childhood and having Operation Lifesaver drilled into my head at an early age has me a bit on edge when I see people around tracks. Smile I misunderstood you.
No worries. In my younger days in small town Southern Ontario, I used to walk along the tracks if there were no trains in sight on a very minimally used line although we were VERY aware of our surroundings ready to jump at a moment's notice. Not so much anymore.
(06-27-2015, 07:36 PM)timio Wrote: I believe it's supposed to be open to traffic on July 2nd.  On July 1st that stretch of Columbia is closed for Canada Day.

Columbia Street is traditionally closed west of Hagey. I hope that it is open for Canada Day. I'm optimistic after seeing the paving work yesterday.

plus, open for pedestrian is different than open for cars
I'd guess they'd be open for pedestrians for July 1st, but not cars
What is the relationship between Columbia Street and Canada day ?
(06-30-2015, 12:06 PM)Canard Wrote: What  is the relationship between Columbia Street and Canada day ?
University of Waterloo Canada Day Celebration "Join us at Columbia Lake Fields and share your national pride with #UWCanadaDay."

Hard to do if Columbia St is closed.
(06-30-2015, 12:25 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 12:06 PM)Canard Wrote: What  is the relationship between Columbia Street and Canada day ?
University of Waterloo Canada Day Celebration "Join us at Columbia Lake Fields and share your national pride with #UWCanadaDay."

Well, more specifically, UW traditionally closes Columbia to automotive traffic from Westmount to Hagey. The playing field and various other fields between the lake and Hagey are all pedestrian Valhalla while still allowing access from the East to the UW Visitor parking lots just north and south of Columbia.

If Columbia's still closed at the tracks as well as Westmount to Hagey, then the only access to those lots is via Ring Road or Bearinger. Neither can move the number of cars Columbia could.

If they aren't closing from Westmount to Hagey (I haven't seen any signs) to allow access via the West, then there might be an increase in car-pedestrian interactions along that stretch of Columbia tomorrow. Especially just after the fireworks display completes (when it'll be dark).

Luckily, the moon's almost full, so that'll help with visibility.
(06-30-2015, 01:12 PM)chutten Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 12:25 PM)ookpik Wrote: University of Waterloo Canada Day Celebration "Join us at Columbia Lake Fields and share your national pride with #UWCanadaDay."

Well, more specifically, UW traditionally closes Columbia to automotive traffic from Westmount to Hagey. The playing field and various other fields between the lake and Hagey are all pedestrian Valhalla while still allowing access from the East to the UW Visitor parking lots just north and south of Columbia.

If Columbia's still closed at the tracks as well as Westmount to Hagey, then the only access to those lots is via Ring Road or Bearinger. Neither can move the number of cars Columbia could.

If they aren't closing from Westmount to Hagey (I haven't seen any signs) to allow access via the West, then there might be an increase in car-pedestrian interactions along that stretch of Columbia tomorrow. Especially just after the fireworks display completes (when it'll be dark).

Luckily, the moon's almost full, so that'll help with visibility.

When I was out earlier this afternoon, Columbia had been painted, and they had a street sweeper out cleaning things up. So I'm hopeful that it will actually be open tomorrow.
Laurier-Waterloo Park
June 30, 2015

[Image: rgzej9.jpg]

[Image: 2zjjm82.jpg]
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Just out of curiousity, have the buses for the BRT been decided yet?  I'd love to see something modern as opposed to just a differently branded bus.

[Image: 6142226959_4b13c5678b.jpg]
(07-01-2015, 09:42 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Just out of curiousity, have the buses for the BRT been decided yet?

Yes. They will be the existing bus fleet.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »