Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Maybe they'll store a bunch of shovels on whichever train is the "snow train" and ask the passengers to get out and shovel.

They use trucks with a shovel to remove excess snow from the tracks.

And yes, they do ask the LRV operators to carry a shovel and broom on board, and they get out and shovel off the switches when they go by!

On that note, I noticed that they've "black bagged" the aspects (signals) at the Cameron crossover (and I presume they've done the same at the Green crossover). My guess? It's a legal thing, just like when they bag a stoplight, if the signal can't be trusted to indicate a valid state.
Another huge backup at the University Ave crossing this morning. Are they doing some special testing today or is it more of the usual?
Not sure. What did you observe?
Here's how railways still plow. Back when the Grand River Railway ran electric motors on what is now the Iron Horse I assume they used the same kind of plow, these things have been around forever. This plow would take care of anyone parked on the tracks too.
(01-30-2019, 01:32 PM)Canard Wrote: Not sure.  What did you observe?

Signal arms stuck down for 10+ minutes with no train in sight. Typically backups here are caused by the traffic lights getting stuck on red, so it was a little different. Perhaps weather-related? In any case it's a huge pain in the ass as soon as it gets backed up past Seagram because there's nowhere else to go in that stretch of road.
(01-30-2019, 01:15 PM)Canard Wrote: And yes, they do ask the LRV operators to carry a shovel and broom on board, and they get out and shovel off the switches when they go by!

Aren't the switches heated?

(01-30-2019, 02:06 PM)timc Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 01:15 PM)Canard Wrote: And yes, they do ask the LRV operators to carry a shovel and broom on board, and they get out and shovel off the switches when they go by!

Aren't the switches heated?

I know the ballasted track sections are but the embedded track sections have indicator lights that get buried in the snow easily.

Kitchener PUC (assuming the date is correct) had a snow sweeper.

Source, with larger image.
(01-30-2019, 02:10 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: I know the ballasted track sections are but the embedded track sections have indicator lights that get buried in the snow easily.

Oh, yeah, I guess I only think about the ballasted track because that is what I see the most. Where are the embedded switches?
(01-30-2019, 03:11 PM)timc Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 02:10 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: I know the ballasted track sections are but the embedded track sections have indicator lights that get buried in the snow easily.

Oh, yeah, I guess I only think about the ballasted track because that is what I see the most. Where are the embedded switches?

One near Cameron Street and another near Green Street

(01-30-2019, 04:14 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 03:11 PM)timc Wrote: Oh, yeah, I guess I only think about the ballasted track because that is what I see the most. Where are the embedded switches?

One near Cameron Street and another near Green Street

Two of them at each location, one at each end of the crossover.

Why are there indicator lights near the ground? Aren’t there signals higher up? Most switches don’t have indicator lights in addition to the regular signals, and it seems imprudent to put any sort of light that is meant to be interpreted where it could get covered in snow. Plus isn’t it redundant to have two sets of lights?
(01-30-2019, 07:10 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 04:14 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: One near Cameron Street and another near Green Street

Two of them at each location, one at each end of the crossover.

Why are there indicator lights near the ground? Aren’t there signals higher up? Most switches don’t have indicator lights in addition to the regular signals, and it seems imprudent to put any sort of light that is meant to be interpreted where it could get covered in snow. Plus isn’t it redundant to have two sets of lights?

it's a requirement to have redundant indicators because the interlocking signals may not reset properly while the switch may be in the correct position. the switch point indicators are also required to be on the ground by the switch points
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »