Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-29-2015, 08:26 PM)curiouschair Wrote: I think Laurel Creek is on the other side of campus.

Correct. This is a drainage ditch.

Laurel Creek is on the other side of the campus. A few years ago I started a project to photograph the creek from end to end, that remains unfinished but my travels certainly had me following the creek west of here.
My brain got confused with the Laurel Trail. Whoops.
I took a long walk yesterday, and took a lot of photos of the current status of the LRT route.

Here's the album on facebook, about 50 photos.

Here's a couple:

Very cool idea Markster, thanks for sharing your photos.
The ION stop anchor wall concept report is now available: http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...mittee.pdf

There's also some insight into how the stop design has evolved over all. I've been told these renders are somewhat cut-down in detail (being focused on the anchor walls) but they're fairly representative. It's nice to see that the stops appear to have at least a small enclosed shelter area, and they're being roughed in for power for heating and data for future interactive stuff.

Let the subjective judgement of the anchor walls begin! I'll start: I like them, mostly. I really like the way they present a large easily visible visual element.

Extra tidbit: the GRH stop has been shifted, again. The hospital emergency entrance will remain where it is (not on Mount Hope) and Pine St. will be a signalled intersection.

[Image: QQNoKpC.jpg]
Absolutely LOVE them! Fantastic job of adding to the feel of each station. I've ridden countless systems that have stations that evoke the "feel" of the surrounding area and it really helps with wayfinding. Well done, team!

Here I was hoping that the walls would use brick rather than stone - I hadn't considered ceramic/glass tiles.
Those walls will be tagged with graffiti by the local bone heads quickly just like the Weber St underpass. I hope there is some kind of scientific coating that repels paint or spits it all over them.
(05-05-2015, 05:05 PM)Drake Wrote: Those walls will be tagged with graffiti by the local bone heads quickly just like the Weber St underpass. I hope there is some kind of scientific coating that repels paint or spits it all over them.

I suspect that may be part of why glass/ceramic has been chosen - it's easier to clean off the inevitable graffiti.  Unfortunately, it is easier to vandalize by scratching, which I'm sure won't take long to figure out.

The report in the Record on the stations quotes Coun Wayne Wettlaufer as saying they (seems to include Mayor Vrbanovic) had pressed for stone at the Market Square station, which leaves me wondering what, in his mind, stone has to do with Market Square or Downtown Kitchener?  Seems like the sort of limited vision that saw Market Square clad in brown brick with distelfink panels slapped on the walls, instead of the planned concrete brut.  Politicians with the "warm and fuzzies" should be kept far away from our public architecture, imho.
(05-05-2015, 05:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I suspect that may be part of why glass/ceramic has been chosen - it's easier to clean off the inevitable graffiti.  Unfortunately, it is easier to vandalize by scratching, which I'm sure won't take long to figure out.

Or just plain hitting or throwing projectiles, all of which will happen a lot. The cheap comes out expensive.
Does anyone know if the LED lighting that will change color when trains approach is still being considered?

Thank you.
(05-05-2015, 08:35 PM)DHLawrence Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 05:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I suspect that may be part of why glass/ceramic has been chosen - it's easier to clean off the inevitable graffiti.  Unfortunately, it is easier to vandalize by scratching, which I'm sure won't take long to figure out.

Or just plain hitting or throwing projectiles, all of which will happen a lot. The cheap comes out expensive.

Two points from the focus group consultation I was at: one, this stuff is tough. Couldn't easily scratch it. I doubt it's indestructible, but it won't be casual defacing-- it'll take an earnest effort. Secondly, they are treated with anti-graffiti coating. We were able to wipe sharpie right off it.

If they are damaged or defaced, the tile nature means that they can be individually replaced. From the P&W meeting report yesterday, GrandLinq has a requirement to stock replacement tiles and will have a damage replacement timeframe as part of their service standard.

We'll see, in time, how effective this is. But it's not like it hasn't been a primary consideration.

The Waterloo Spur is being realigned near Columbia St as I type.  I took some photos and video as I walked to work:

Hydro towers are being dismantled today along the Fairway corridor
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »