Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Manulife (King Centre) redevelopment project
(01-12-2022, 01:44 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 10:46 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: I think Google leased the office space, which includes parking. I doubt we'll see development in this lot for at least a few more years.

Surely they'll move out once Breithaupt St 3 opens. The question is if another office tenant moves in, or Manulife makes a change.

My understanding is that even Breithaupt 3 isn't adequate to meet Google's currently planned requirements. A fourth building is actively in the works, of similar or larger scale than Breithaupt 3. I expect Google will have the Manulife space for a while, it'll be years before the fourth building is ready.

How many employees does Google have in KW now, and what might they be forecasting?
(01-12-2022, 09:11 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 01:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Surely they'll move out once Breithaupt St 3 opens. The question is if another office tenant moves in, or Manulife makes a change.

My understanding is that even Breithaupt 3 isn't adequate to meet Google's currently planned requirements. A fourth building is actively in the works, of similar or larger scale than Breithaupt 3. I expect Google will have the Manulife space for a while, it'll be years before the fourth building is ready.

I thought fourth was only going to be four floors?
(01-12-2022, 10:10 PM)jamincan Wrote: How many employees does Google have in KW now, and what might they be forecasting?

Back in 2020 they were forecasting 1.5k then and 5k by end of 2022:

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/google-to-e...-1.4800642
(01-12-2022, 10:36 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 09:11 PM)taylortbb Wrote: My understanding is that even Breithaupt 3 isn't adequate to meet Google's currently planned requirements. A fourth building is actively in the works, of similar or larger scale than Breithaupt 3. I expect Google will have the Manulife space for a while, it'll be years before the fourth building is ready.

A fourth building? Unlikely. They already have so many employees that they are rotating the use of office space because there isn't enough room. They're growing very fast since they are able to prey on kids fresh out of undergraduate studies.
The application for the fourth building was submitted by Perimeter on Nov 22nd. Indicating 4 storeys tall - currently under review
(01-12-2022, 10:10 PM)jamincan Wrote: How many employees does Google have in KW now, and what might they be forecasting?

My understanding is their planning target is now 5000 in KW. The Breithaupt 3 building will give them capacity for 3000. The CTV article linked above refers to 5000, but that was for all of Canada, split 1k/1k/3k Montreal/Toronto/Kitchener.

(01-12-2022, 10:36 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 09:11 PM)taylortbb Wrote: My understanding is that even Breithaupt 3 isn't adequate to meet Google's currently planned requirements. A fourth building is actively in the works, of similar or larger scale than Breithaupt 3. I expect Google will have the Manulife space for a while, it'll be years before the fourth building is ready.

Perimeter is building a small 4 floor building, which may end up being building 4 (no tenant announced), but there's definitely a plan for another major building whatever its number is. Spear Street's purchase of the plaza at Victoria/Duke is rumoured to be for Google.

(01-12-2022, 11:43 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 10:36 PM)CP42 Wrote: I thought fourth was only going to be four floors?

A fourth building? Unlikely. They already have so many employees that they are rotating the use of office space because there isn't enough room. They're growing very fast since they are able to prey on kids fresh out of undergraduate studies.

I would hardly describe Google as "preying" on new grads. They're a highly desirable destination because the pay, perks, and work/life balance are all fantastic. I have at least a dozen friends that work for them, not all in KW, and reviews of them as an employer are quite positive.

All this of course for engineering roles, I can't speak to the rest of the company. But Google KW is over 90% engineers last I heard.

Still can't believe how big Google is in Kitchener. Totally insane.

I can't imagine that when city hall decided to spend the money for downtown development, they thought this would be the outcome. It really exceeded expectations.
I'm fairly sure that phase 4 is supposed to be more of a lab/manufacturing/prototyping space. They'll have offices as well, but I think the intent is more like the Velocity lab in the Tannery.
(01-13-2022, 12:09 AM)taylortbb Wrote: I would hardly describe Google as "preying" on new grads. They're a highly desirable destination because the pay, perks, and work/life balance are all fantastic. I have at least a dozen friends that work for them, not all in KW, and reviews of them as an employer are quite positive.

All this of course for engineering roles, I can't speak to the rest of the company. But Google KW is over 90% engineers last I heard.

I mean, unless they mean preying in the sense of snatching up all the new talent with that desirability. In some cases to the detriment/challenge for other smaller local firms.
Well, the other firms are free to poach from Google. In the meantime, at least they are finding jobs locally rather than moving to the USA.
Agreed!
(01-13-2022, 04:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Well, the other firms are free to poach from Google.  In the meantime, at least they are finding jobs locally rather than moving to the USA.

I often say, look, it's a job market, and employers have to realize that as well.

(01-13-2022, 12:26 AM)jeffster Wrote: Still can't believe how big Google is in Kitchener. Totally insane.

I can't imagine that when city hall decided to spend the money for downtown development, they thought this would be the outcome. It really exceeded expectations.

I remember when Google first announced the space in the Tannery. I was blown away. Never could have expected this.
They didn't last too long in the Tannery building either, from what I remember. Feels like they opened that up and within a year or two they had the huge building on Breithaupt and now an entire office tower, this Manulife building and plans for even more expansion.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »