Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viva Towns (19-41 Mill St) | 4 + 3fl | U/C
(03-10-2021, 09:07 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 02:24 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That's on the opposite side of the city! So wait...which neighbourhood association is he from?

Yeah...honestly, these folks are self defeating. You could argue there are reasonable objections that could be raised, but the reliability which certain groups oppose ANY development whatsoever makes it impossible to take ANY objections seriously, it's easy to dismiss them all, because they're usually anti-progress bullshit.

Assholes like that harm ALL of our ability to raise legitimate issues. So even if you don't care about affordable housing, or any serious issues, and just want front porches or something like that (a legitimate, but in my opinion minor objection), he's still screwing us over.

First of all, I want to agree with you and the general sentiment of this thread. 1) I don't believe the use of this land is in the purview of anyone but the property owner, and the city to make judgements based on infrastructure capabilities. This is despite the fact I don't really like this building. 2) It's hard to imagine any showstopping complaints against this development even if neighbourhood feedback is taken into consideration...

With that said, I want to call you out on "anti-progress". I think it's a unfair term used to put down and build public resentment towards those you disagree with. As far as I'm concerned, progress is subjective. It suggests a goal with measurable progress, and the reality is there is no such "goal" to life, humanity, society, etc... Your personal goal(s) have been built up layer by layer over the course of your life, and your circumstances may have built up a very different idea of progress from other individuals. On top of that, it's extremely difficult for us to go back and reflect upon each layer, one at a time, and see if the foundations even hold true. I try to do it, but it's hard to admit when we are wrong, and it's even harder to propagate a fundamental change throughout the outer layers because we aren't computers.

Basically, the older I get, the more times I've experienced being wrong, to the point that I'll never consider my ideas (such as what progress is) to be uniquely correct. There seems to be the notion in our current political climate that all change is progress, and I don't think it's fair to label those who disagree as anti-progress.

Would you prefer if I used the word anti-change? The problem I see is that these folks would be upset about anything they perceive as a change to their neighbourhood.

As for whether putting people down like this is productive, it probably isn't, but I also don't think coddling them helps. Probably we just need to refocus things on the need for housing, and ignore the anti-change folks.

By the way, you have no idea how old I am (nor I you), I've also experienced being wrong plenty (I have literally been wrong about this before). But I also know exactly what to think about NIMBYs during a housing crisis. There is a lot I don't agree with how development is going on in the city (I think we should have a LOT more 3-6 storey developments, and then there'd be less need to focus on larger developments), but ultimately, I want to see as much housing built as sustainably as possible as quickly as possible, IMO we're beyond the point where we can realistically be choosy about what we get. We're seeing the price of homes rise 10% per month...that doesn't have a good outcome.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 12-09-2019, 05:44 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 12-13-2020, 10:05 AM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 02-09-2021, 10:54 AM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by Bytor - 03-09-2021, 05:35 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by danbrotherston - 03-10-2021, 09:16 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 03-09-2021, 12:36 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by nms - 03-10-2021, 09:43 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by nms - 03-11-2021, 10:18 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 8 + 3fl | Proposed - by nms - 03-13-2021, 05:14 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 4 + 3fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 04-25-2021, 10:16 AM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 4 + 3fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 04-25-2021, 11:18 AM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 4 + 3fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 05-27-2021, 11:00 AM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 4 + 3fl | Proposed - by nms - 05-27-2021, 09:04 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 4 + 3fl | Proposed - by nms - 05-31-2021, 11:10 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 4 + 3fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 06-01-2021, 03:36 PM
RE: 19-41 Mill St | 4 + 3fl | Proposed - by nms - 06-01-2021, 09:01 PM