Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
236 Victoria St N | 40 & 35 fl | Proposed
(04-18-2024, 08:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 08:34 PM)Acitta Wrote: Maybe GRR could buy that derelict building on Madison next to the tracks. I am tired of looking at it when I go by on Stirling. It needs to be either demolished or fixed up and used for something.

You mean the old Robson Lang Tannery?   I suspect that site is too toxic to be put to any use involving humans.

I don't know what it was originally. It has been derelict for a long time, certainly for the 5 years that I have been living near it on Stirling.

(04-18-2024, 08:39 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 08:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: You mean the old Robson Lang Tannery?   I suspect that site is too toxic to be put to any use involving humans.

I don't know what it was originally. It has been derelict for a long time, certainly for the 5 years that I have been living near it on Stirling.

I could tell you stories of the railcars and tanks full of slimy, fetid green tannery waste leaking all over the ground, but you'd think I was exaggerating.  I don't know what substances are used in the leather tanning process, but I can't see the site as being anything other than heavily contaminated.
(04-18-2024, 08:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 08:34 PM)Acitta Wrote: Maybe GRR could buy that derelict building on Madison next to the tracks. I am tired of looking at it when I go by on Stirling. It needs to be either demolished or fixed up and used for something.

You mean the old Robson Lang Tannery?   I suspect that site is too toxic to be put to any use involving humans.

They made it work for the Lang Tannery building downtown...
(04-18-2024, 09:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 08:39 PM)Acitta Wrote: I don't know what it was originally. It has been derelict for a long time, certainly for the 5 years that I have been living near it on Stirling.

I could tell you stories of the railcars and tanks full of slimy, fetid green tannery waste leaking all over the ground, but you'd think I was exaggerating.  I don't know what substances are used in the leather tanning process, but I can't see the site as being anything other than heavily contaminated.

Chromium would be the green in the tanning process likely. Nasty stuff.
(04-19-2024, 06:48 AM)nms Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 08:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: You mean the old Robson Lang Tannery?   I suspect that site is too toxic to be put to any use involving humans.

They made it work for the Lang Tannery building downtown...

I mean, if you put in millions of dollars, then you can remediate... That's why the US has Superfund.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »