Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Q Condos (20 Queen St N) | 34 fl | Proposed
What about Vanmar Developments working on Station Park ?

(04-06-2021, 11:03 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: What about Vanmar Developments working on Station Park ?

VanMar is based out of Cambridge but the architecture and planning was by the Toronto architecture group Kirkor.
Ellis don, while neither an architect nor from toronto, have done numerous incredible projects and are doing grand market district as well
Thanks for the welcome!

Apologies! I couldn't get past the paywall so I didn't read the article, and just based my opinion on the renderings! Happy to see no parking is being included!

I see the point about Queen, but I don't agree. Queen ends at Lancaster. If anything, I like it as an 'approach' to downtown ending at a pedestrian space. Many squares in Europe and South America have this same principle embedded in their design - streets that lead somewhere!

For the laneway, I appreciate that the performance space may lead to the lane, but it would so much nicer in my opinion if the laneway was more actively used. Something like the laneway cafes in Melbourne (https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au/thi...ys-arcades), or this in Utrecht (https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0920284,...312!8i6656).

Fun to think about the potential here!
This is outstanding. Momentum has surely done it again!

Anyone know if the actual existing building is staying and being built upon, or just the façade being saved?
It would be surprising if more than the facade were to be saved.  I can't recall what the interior is like, apart from the dance studio.  Iirc correctly, rych mills did one of his "Flash from the Past" pieces for the Record on the history of the building.
(04-14-2021, 10:04 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It would be surprising if more than the facade were to be saved.  I can't recall what the interior is like, apart from the dance studio.  Iirc correctly, rych mills did one of his "Flash from the Past" pieces for the Record on the history of the building.

Yeah I agree.  I would think that the foundations of a new building this tall will need to take up pretty much the whole site, and working under and then up through an existing building would add too much cost.  On top of that, arranging the new elevator and stairwells and meeting all the codes while working around an existing building layout in the lower levels would probably limit the efficiency of the design up above.

(04-14-2021, 10:04 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It would be surprising if more than the facade were to be saved.  I can't recall what the interior is like, apart from the dance studio.  Iirc correctly, rych mills did one of his "Flash from the Past" pieces for the Record on the history of the building.

It would surprise me, too. The main floor of the interior at present houses Encompass Health, a wellness clinic (massage, chiropractic, social work and counselling). The interior makes me think it was lawyers or similar professional services offices before them. Large rooms with very high ceilings, nice looking dark wooden panelling that appears authentic though I'm no carpenter. Nicely carpeted, browns and beiges and golden yellows. I've only been in a couple of the practitioner's rooms, and they both could easily hold a very large desk and some comfortable client chairs, lots of bookshelves and suchlike. It would definitely have to be significantly reworked to act as a lobby but there's a lot of space to do a lot with.
Here's the link to rych's article. https://www.therecord.com/life/2012/08/1...music.html
Momentum seems to be aiming for a spring 2022 sales launch, so this project will not break ground for quite some time.
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ected.html
(05-27-2021, 12:19 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ected.html

A bit more information:

"Kitchener condo developer plans to save the facade of the century-old Queen Street building, but heritage advocates want more protected"

Heritage advocates (note: not the city's own heritage committee) want the building's interior to also be preserved.
(05-27-2021, 01:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-27-2021, 12:19 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ected.html

A bit more information:

"Kitchener condo developer plans to save the facade of the century-old Queen Street building, but heritage advocates want more protected"

Heritage advocates (note: not the city's own heritage committee) want the building's interior to also be preserved.

Of course they do...

I would agree with saving as much as possible. It's a classic piece of architecture. Momentum can easily afford to do this.
(05-27-2021, 02:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: I would agree with saving as much as possible. It's a classic piece of architecture. Momentum can easily afford to do this.

Maybe if the Kitchener housing market could support $1500 per square foot
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »