Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 municipal election publicity
(09-26-2022, 04:57 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-25-2022, 05:19 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: While I'm no longer mystified that this 'vacant condo' myth exists, I am frustrated when it doesn't seem like those who hold it (especially elected officials) feel like they need to back it up by any evidence at all. And, IMO, the Record seems to align with some of this thinking and don't seem to be asking (or looking for) any evidence to support such claims.

To convince Debbie Chapman and her followers we need to tell a narrative tell a story of how building more housing gives us a stronger healthier happier community. That is the only thing that will convince them. It doesn't even have to be true, just compelling.

This is exactly what I've been trying to do; building missing middle allows for density without the dreaded condo towers being the only form of densification. I've actually gotten plenty of good responses to this, people seem fairly supportive of it!

I think we should all realize that our politicians know best, which is why we elect them to choose what housing they (scientifically and objectively) prefer and drag us all along with them. That's leadership!
local cambridge weirdo
(09-28-2022, 02:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 01:14 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: It boils my blood how Debbie lives in a large beautiful detached home right around the corner from the development she rejected. She claims that she wants more affordable housing. I believe the majority of those condos would have been much more affordable than a million dollar detached house. Such a hypocrite. Now that lot will sit empty for the next decade while future generations are forced to leave Kitchener or live in tents.

Hear hear!

Do you have a source for where her home is? I feel like that would qualify as a pecuniary interest no?

It feels weird to share, but since it's publicly listed on the Kitchener.ca candidate page I guess it's ok (https://www.kitchener.ca/en/council-and-...dates.aspx). It is listed as 45 Strange St.
(09-28-2022, 02:59 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 02:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Hear hear!

Do you have a source for where her home is? I feel like that would qualify as a pecuniary interest no?

It feels weird to share, but since it's publicly listed on the Kitchener.ca candidate page I guess it's ok (https://www.kitchener.ca/en/council-and-...dates.aspx). It is listed as 45 Strange St.

Thanks! 

I guess I took "around the corner" a bit more literally. That's 600 m away, which .... probably makes it not a pecuniary interest.

FWIW...I lived right around the corner from that home...(like, literally just on Herlan) and must have walked past it 100 times. I didn't know she lived there, I never once saw her outside.

As an aside, there was a recent article I saw which suggested that we should not be putting our address on Resumes or CVs anymore (maybe just City/Country for relevancy reasons). I guess that makes sense, given that they are usually public documents. It's also strange, because I think information about individuals has become harder to come by. I think address used to be more public and certainly I remember some giant book with everyone's phone number in it from my childhood.
Debbie "Fuck You I Got Mine" Chapman 2022! Make Kitchener Great Again.
(09-28-2022, 02:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 01:14 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: It boils my blood how Debbie lives in a large beautiful detached home right around the corner from the development she rejected. She claims that she wants more affordable housing. I believe the majority of those condos would have been much more affordable than a million dollar detached house. Such a hypocrite. Now that lot will sit empty for the next decade while future generations are forced to leave Kitchener or live in tents.

Hear hear!

You can see it on the City election website.
I intend to resign from the campaign to focus on my new family, consulting business, and my own mental health. I will be supporting Brooklin as I believe she has the best opportunity to defeat Debbie. More to follow on this

(09-28-2022, 03:31 PM)ac3r Wrote: Debbie "Fuck You I Got Mine" Chapman 2022! Make Kitchener Great Again.

Real LOL
(09-28-2022, 02:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Do you have a source for where her home is? I feel like that would qualify as a pecuniary interest no?

I would have thought that the pecuniary interest would be in being able to sell ones home for skyscraper construction. But of course if somebody wants to keep living there and is of the attitude that large developments ruin the city, they may well oppose development even if they would have a higher net worth with development allowed.
She has benefit to gain, getting the votes of her constituency, keep here neighborhood single family dwelling(higher value of home) She should have obstained just on principle and declared conflict of interest. Speaks to who she really is.
(09-28-2022, 08:28 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: She has benefit to gain, getting the votes of her constituency, keep here neighborhood single family dwelling(higher value of home) She should have obstained just on principle and declared conflict of interest.  Speaks to who she really is.

I mean, this is a bit of a tough one to say other than criticizing the motivations of her voting choice. You could assume lots of councillors would be in the area of major developments in their ward.

Meanwhile, both Councillors Singh and Marsh had to abstain based on conflict, which likely didn't help the overall tenor of the debate.
(09-29-2022, 01:54 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 08:28 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: She has benefit to gain, getting the votes of her constituency, keep here neighborhood single family dwelling(higher value of home) She should have obstained just on principle and declared conflict of interest.  Speaks to who she really is.

I mean, this is a bit of a tough one to say other than criticizing the motivations of her voting choice. You could assume lots of councillors would be in the area of major developments in their ward.

Meanwhile, both Councillors Singh and Marsh had to abstain based on conflict, which likely didn't help the overall tenor of the debate.

I agree with Councillor Chapman not declaring a conflict. She would be opposed to a similar development not within her ward. It's disheartening when someone in power doesn't understand economics, planning, construction financing, real estate... it's not rocket science . Let the academics stay in the institutions and not "lead" our city. If it becomes too expensive with municipal taxes/fees, developers will simply not build. We need developers to build the much needed housing to satisfy the demand and help reduce the current rental rates. Forcing 3 bedrooms and affordable housing into a project can make it unviable to get financing, the banks don't just hand out money without the expectation to get it back. 

Also, we should have 3 storey walk ups (8-16units) as of right throughout the whole City. That would help solve the housing crisis and bring more rental housing stock on board.

Please vote for Brooklin and not Robson. 

Bye for now.
This is a bit offtopic, but for those who might be interested: I am giving a talk on waterlooregionvotes.org this Monday. The meeting starts at 7pm and I will likely start my presentation at 8pm. See https://kwlug.org/node/1298 for more information. To join the meeting visit https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug in Firefox or Chrome.

(09-24-2022, 06:30 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Any thoughts on the Kitchener Ward 5 Candidates? Despite it being super suburban the councillor here will make decisions on projects in the core.
We will see a new face here. Most websites for the candidates, if they exist, seem very vague on policy.

The one Candidate, Jon Massimi seems to have this NIMBY Centric policy.
Say no to projects that our community is not properly consulted on.….. so I’m not voting for him.

neonjoe, consultation isn’t only in relation to housing, and jumping to conclusion that I have a NIMBY centric policy is overstating the case. In fact, I do believe in projects that put roofs over peoples heads. Here is an example of consultant. As a former supervisor of community centres, I was tasked with finding a consultant for the Mill Courtland Community Centre expansion. I found previous engagements lacking. For this reason, I sought and secured the services of Jay Pitter who takes an equitable approach and works hard to listen to underrepresented voices in the community. So in relation to housing, when a developer brings forward a design, who have they engaged in creating it? I think early community input would save a lot of housing projects.  Again,  When I speak of “proper” consultation, I am applying it to a range of projects.  In relation to housing, in ward 5 other candidates are connected to properties, developers, and Real Estate Investment Trusts which have an effect on the cost and availability of housing.
CTV Interviewed the candidates for ward 9 (probably other wards too):

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/meet-the-ki...-1.6096212

It is amazing how much Debbie Chapman talks about housing given her regressive politics there. So frustrating.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »