Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 King St W | 50, 55 fl | Proposed
300-400 King st West. Across from Kaufman Lofts. Developer is Hallman Construction and architect is Chamberlain. 50 and 55 storey towers. 

Colour me sceptical (not for the first time).
(03-27-2024, 09:40 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: 300-400 King st West. Across from Kaufman Lofts. Developer is Hallman Construction and architect is Chamberlain. 50 and 55 storey towers. 

That is the whole block between Francis and Water. There are the recently built LCBO and the Beer Store. It seems unlikely that those will be demolished to build this.
(03-28-2024, 12:00 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 09:40 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: 300-400 King st West. Across from Kaufman Lofts. Developer is Hallman Construction and architect is Chamberlain. 50 and 55 storey towers. 

That is the whole block between Francis and Water. There are the recently built LCBO and the Beer Store. It seems unlikely that those will be demolished to build this.

Perhaps they made a deal where a couple of the store fronts of the condos will be LCBO and beer store?
(03-28-2024, 12:02 AM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 12:00 AM)Acitta Wrote: That is the whole block between Francis and Water. There are the recently built LCBO and the Beer Store. It seems unlikely that those will be demolished to build this.

Perhaps they made a deal where a couple of the store fronts of the condos will be LCBO and beer store?

It just seems crazy to me to demolish such new buildings. It took quite a while to build that LCBO.
Was this block sold or something? Or has Hallman always owned this?

I could see the LCBO and The Beer Store moving eventually if this was approved, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Not that I am an architect, but just looking at the drawings, I think it would be cool if they mimicked the podium to look like the Kaufman Flats. If this actually gets built..

Looks like they forgot the portico along King St. Just a small, less useful, one along Francis St., enough to prove that they can do it but that they just don’t care to meet the street properly.

I will also say that it could very well make perfect sense to demolish newer buildings in order to build something that huge. It doesn’t really matter what is there or when it was built if we’re going from 3 stories (or is it just 2?) to dozens. Unfortunate timing, sure, but not fundamentally different from demolishing (hypothetical) Grandma’s house with the new kitchen she had built 2 years before she died.
Wow this looks amazing! Well thought out podium and clean design for the towers. Which probably means this will never be built.

Looks like the podium would have retail space for a new LCBO and beers store. They could find temporary homes while it is being constructed. Timing is a little unfortunate considering they just built those buildings in the last 10 years.
(03-28-2024, 09:37 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Wow this looks amazing! Well thought out podium and clean design for the towers. Which probably means this will never be built.

Looks like the podium would have retail space for a new LCBO and beers store. They could find temporary homes while it is being constructed. Timing is a little unfortunate considering they just built those buildings in the last 10 years.

There is no reason why LCBO and the beer store need to be specifically on that block. There is already renovated space available in Eaton Lofts building and brand-new space in the Young Condos King St retail storefronts, among others. Maybe Station Park, too?
(03-28-2024, 11:03 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 09:37 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Wow this looks amazing! Well thought out podium and clean design for the towers. Which probably means this will never be built.

There is no reason why LCBO and the beer store need to be specifically on that block. There is already renovated space available in Eaton Lofts building and brand-new space in the Young Condos King St retail storefronts, among others. Maybe Station Park, too?
These were purpose-built for the Beer Store and the LCBO. I am surprised that those companies don't own the buildings.
I was under the impression that Tony diBattista still owned most of this block. Maybe this is his project?

Honestly he owns like half of King St between Water and Ontario. If this pans out, it might not be the only full-block teardown that we see.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...6165f.html
(03-28-2024, 12:07 PM)SF22 Wrote: I was under the impression that Tony diBattista still owned most of this block. Maybe this is his project?

Honestly he owns like half of King St between Water and Ontario. If this pans out, it might not be the only full-block teardown that we see.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...6165f.html

I believe he owns the entire block, including the LCBO and Beer Store which are on very long term leases. I don't believe he would be involved in this development.

He also owns La Cucina, Players, McCabes (if it ever reopens), and Dallas on that block. So those along with the leases complicate the idea of this development a bit, but the land is all assembled...

I guess one possibility would be doing the project in 2 phases. They could take down the existing buildings that go from the convenience store to the Slices restaurant on Water Street, build that and then let the LCBO and The Beer Store move into the podium there. Then, they could continue on by demolishing the rest of the buildings and build another tower closest to Victoria. If for some reason the units in the first skyscraper didn't sell as good/fast as they hoped, they could put it on pause and not have to kick The Beer Store and LCBO out until necessary. It would be an incredible economic waste to tear those buildings down considering they only went up fairly recently, not to mention the extreme environmental damage that construction (and demolition) does.

I'd feel bad for the rest of the tenants. Slices is a popular spot that has been here for a very long time. Something else opened up above it, too. Chances are neither of those businesses would be able to lease space in the ground floor of a new skyscraper project due to the high cost of leasing a space like that, so we'd probably get more globohomo corporate gentrified businesses opening up.
(03-28-2024, 04:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: It would be an incredible economic waste to tear those buildings down considering they only went up fairly recently, not to mention the extreme environmental damage that construction (and demolition) does.

Large cost considered as part of the life of the small buildings. Not large in the context of the huge new project.

But yes it’s still unfortunate timing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »