Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(11-15-2016, 07:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The fact that WestJet is ramping up its flights from YHM would seem to favour YKF for Canada Jetlines, no?  I have trouble seeing a discount start-up going head-to-head with either WestJet or Air Canada.

True, but they convinced NewLeaf to start up there, what incentives are they giving that we are not?

Coke

London seems like a weird one to throw in. It's reasonably far from population centers, and so it seems a poor fit for overflow.

Hamilton and Kitchener, however, aren't too too far from Pearson or Toronto. Hamilton is mentally closer for GTA flyers, and the drive is probably a bit shorter, and certainly fewer directions to follow (don't underestimate this).

I would hazard that the biggest boost Kitchener could get towards getting sub-hub status would be getting a good Breslau GO connection and more reliable service to work with flights, if possible.
(11-16-2016, 10:53 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: London seems like a weird one to throw in. It's reasonably far from population centers, and so it seems a poor fit for overflow.

Hamilton and Kitchener, however, aren't too too far from Pearson or Toronto. Hamilton is mentally closer for GTA flyers, and the drive is probably a bit shorter, and certainly fewer directions to follow (don't underestimate this).

This is a really important point about Hamilton seeming more accessible to Torontonians. QEW to the 6- what could be simpler? And it's the 'H' in GTHA.

Your point about London is probably a good one, too, but London is of course a population centre (just a relatively smaller one). And it's not hard to get to from as far as KW or Brantford, with better traffic than KW or Hamilton.
(11-16-2016, 10:53 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: London seems like a weird one to throw in. It's reasonably far from population centers, and so it seems a poor fit for overflow.

I would hazard that the biggest boost Kitchener could get towards getting sub-hub status would be getting a good Breslau GO connection and more reliable service to work with flights, if possible.

The proposed Breslau GO station might clinch the deal with Canada Jetlines.  They weren't aware of it until I mentioned it in an email.  

Quote:Thank you for the information on the proposed Breslau GO station. A direct line into the GO system would be very beneficial to any airline passengers arriving or departing Waterloo Regional. I’ll probe this possibility with the airport officials when I meet with them next week.

They met yesterday and I'd love to know how things went.
I emailed Canada Jetlines today about coming to the region as well as suggesting they establish routes from YKF to Vancouver, Halifax, SanFrancisco/San Jose and Tampa/Sarasota.

I received a response from a Canada Jetlines Manager stating:

"We certainly agree that there needs to be a larger presence at YKF and we are working very closely with the Region! Absolutely we will be coming into YKF and are also looking at it as a possible base as well. Great suggestions on destinations and those are on the route planning model along with Las Vegas."
So many great day trips out of Vegas.
I was checking the Arrivals/Departures from YKF and was surprised to see Sudbury and Sunwing listed.  Any ideas on what's going on?

(12-29-2016, 09:30 AM)jgsz Wrote: I was checking the Arrivals/Departures from YKF and was surprised to see Sudbury and Sunwing listed.  Any ideas on what's going on?

Sunwing flies from Sudbury with passengers to YKF, pick's up the locals then heads on to DR.

On the return flight, everybody gets off at YKF (Sudbury has no Customs/Immigration), clears CBSA and collects their bags.  The locals head home, and the folks from Sudbury line up to check in for their flight back home.  They've done this the last few years.

Here they are going out this morning...

(Previously Sunwing did this with Ottawa and/or Toronto, in what is called Progressive Clearance... the Ottawa/Toronto folks stayed on board, and would clear Customs when they got to their final destination)

Coke
Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize Sudbury wasn't an international airport.  I suppose they could get customs clearance in Toronto but I'm glad they're using YKF.  I assume it means more money for the airport.
(12-29-2016, 02:06 PM)jgsz Wrote: Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize Sudbury wasn't an international airport.  I suppose they could get customs clearance in Toronto but I'm glad they're using YKF.  I assume it means more money for the airport.

Not sure if RoW actually makes any extra cash on the Sudbury patrons.  I'm assuming the airline pays a flat "landing fee" and they don't profit from the extra Sudbury pax.  The only thing that may work in their favour is after the Sudbury folk clear Customs, they check in for their homeward flight... perhaps there is "airport improvement fees", etc. for that leg over and above the Dominican portion.  The café here may get some extra money while they wait for the flight too, but it is a pretty quick turn around.

Coke
From the CBC: NewLeaf cancels 'sun' service from Hamilton, refunds 3,000 tickets

NewLeaf has cancelled service from Hamilton to Melbourne, Florida and from Calgary and Edmonton to Mesa, Arizona. 3,000 reservations were cancelled. The company claims that WestJet threw a wrench in its plans by offering the same service to Arizona from Alberta.
Yet another reason for Canada Jetlines to chose YKF over YHM. To succeed, they will need routes that aren't competing directly with WestJet and AirCanada.
Well, supposedly NewLeaf started serving a route (Calgary- and Edmonton-Mesa) that WestJet wasn't serving, but WestJet chose to immediately following NewLeaf's announcement. So, if Canada Jetlines runs to YKF, there's no guarantee WestJet or even Air Canada won't just set up shop here afterwards to drive them out.

Of course, that would be good for us, too (at least in the short term).

(01-05-2017, 10:17 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Well, supposedly NewLeaf started serving a route (Calgary- and Edmonton-Mesa) that WestJet wasn't serving, but WestJet chose to immediately following NewLeaf's announcement. So, if Canada Jetlines runs to YKF, there's no guarantee WestJet or even Air Canada won't just set up shop here afterwards to drive them out.

If Air Canada's and Westjet's predatory competitive practices (as, I believe, some might describe them) brought them to YKF, I would be OK with that (even if prices subsequently went up).  It just seems to me that the risk is higher at YHM, given the increasing number of flights from that airport.
(01-05-2017, 10:17 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Well, supposedly NewLeaf started serving a route (Calgary- and Edmonton-Mesa) that WestJet wasn't serving, but WestJet chose to immediately following NewLeaf's announcement. So, if Canada Jetlines runs to YKF, there's no guarantee WestJet or even Air Canada won't just set up shop here afterwards to drive them out.

This practice is Air Canada to a T!  Its one of the reasons I'm secretly happy AC doesn't fly out of YKF.... although I am surprised that WJ is sinking to that level.

Even short term, this wouldn't be good for YKF, as if past practice is any indication, when the competing airline fails, AC pulls out completely!  Two weeks of cheap flights to lose ALL flights I don't even consider a short term win.

The only airline so far to be able to fight AC at this game is Porter... and it's likely only because they were able to block them them from getting into BBTCCA until they grew enough.

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »