Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Video of what the Kitchener to Toronto flight looked like in 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJWF9E99UnM

I forgot I had this footage, not sure if FlyGTA still run this.

(07-31-2019, 12:47 AM)asyncpulse Wrote: Video of what the Kitchener to Toronto flight looked like in 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJWF9E99UnM

I forgot I had this footage, not sure if FlyGTA still run this.

I think they do. Gave you a thumbs up on YT....
(05-13-2019, 04:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 03:51 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Next winter as in 6-7 months from now? This is amazing news and will make our travels to Cozumel that much easier!

*edit: It is this winter, the Cancun flight appears to be leaving/returning on Wednesdays. Not ideal, but better than schlepping through Pearson.

I wonder why they're going Wednesdays, a weekend flight would seem to make far more sense.

Presumably they have some higher-revenue-opportunity flights for those aircraft on weekends. You can bet that they will be flying every day of the week; the airlines then optimize the schedules to maximize revenue.
(08-25-2019, 08:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 04:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I wonder why they're going Wednesdays, a weekend flight would seem to make far more sense.

Presumably they have some higher-revenue-opportunity flights for those aircraft on weekends. You can bet that they will be flying every day of the week; the airlines then optimize the schedules to maximize revenue.

This is a good point.

Airline economics are interesting.
Are the flights to Toronto ending? I was looking on the FlyGTA site for a date in October but there doesn’t seem to be anything available after the end of August.
It's been months since I've seen them here....
I noticed a low flying commercial jet a few minutes ago, and was curious what flight it was. It showed up on flightaware as a sunwing 737 from Hamilton. I thought this was highly strange as I thought sunwing canceled the flights from ykf due to covid.

I don't know if it's accurate, but I had read somewhere that YKF was being used to park a number of aircraft that had been taken out of service. Anybody been out there?
(03-22-2020, 03:53 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I noticed a low flying commercial jet a few minutes ago, and was curious what flight it was. It showed up on flightaware as a sunwing 737 from Hamilton. I thought this was highly strange as I thought sunwing canceled the flights from ykf due to covid.

I saw that too. My first though that it was a WestJet from Calgary -- but unsure if those flights are still on, plus this one didn't actually look like a WestJet.
There was a release earlier this week that said the secondary runway and taxiway was going to be closed to allow storage of unused planes.

Quote:Our Secondary Runway and Taxiway B will close Sunday, March 22, 2020 for approximately one month to accommodate parking of commercial aircraft grounded in response to the global pandemic.

Edit:  Adding link and quote.
(03-22-2020, 05:09 PM)timio Wrote: There was a release earlier this week that said the secondary runway and taxiway was going to be closed to allow storage of unused planes.

Quote:Our Secondary Runway and Taxiway B will close Sunday, March 22, 2020 for approximately one month to accommodate parking of commercial aircraft grounded in response to the global pandemic.

Edit:  Adding link and quote.

Ah thanks. I looked at ykf's history for today on flightaware, and it showed two sunwing planes from Edmonton, two from Toronto, and the one from Hamilton I saw earlier so I guess sunwing are parking them here.
There's a photo on Reddit of several parked Sunwing planes at YKF. https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...t_waterloo
A bit of revenue for YKF in slow times ...

WOW.. Picture looks cool
If I am reading Flightaware correct, there are 13 of them here now. Tails C-GYUK, C-GTUO, C-GNCH, C-GFEH, C-GBZS, C-FYJD, C-FWGH, C-FTUN, C-FTOH, C-FJVE, C-FIUM, C-FPRP AND C-FFPH.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »