Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
CBC reports that Imbibe will not be looking to re-open in a new location.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3008805

(03-25-2015, 12:28 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(03-25-2015, 09:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The Record notes today that Rise and Shine Bagels in Waterloo will be closing later this spring.

Unfortunately that has been in the cards ever since Brian had his hip surgery and had to close his business temporarily. 

His are by far the best bagels in the region--much better than City Cafe's. Too bad they couldn't find a way to work together. (I have no idea if they even had discussions about that but it seems obvious that they should have at least tried.)

Speaking of City Café, I sort of like them but their croissants took last place in a taste test that we organized. (Ambrosia was pretty universally chosen first). City Café's croissants even scored below supermarket croissants.
(03-25-2015, 05:07 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-25-2015, 12:28 PM)ookpik Wrote: Unfortunately that has been in the cards ever since Brian had his hip surgery and had to close his business temporarily. 

His are by far the best bagels in the region--much better than City Cafe's. Too bad they couldn't find a way to work together. (I have no idea if they even had discussions about that but it seems obvious that they should have at least tried.)

Speaking of City Café, I sort of like them but their croissants took last place in a taste test that we organized. (Ambrosia was pretty universally chosen first). City Café's croissants even scored below supermarket croissants.

That's odd.  They are vastly better than any supermarket "bagels" I've ever encountered.   Re croissants, I'm still devotee of Golden Hearth but I'm always open to persuasion.  Where does one find Ambrosia croissants?  The only thing I ever tried from them were some macarons that I'm afraid I found inedible.
Best bagels in the region = Wood Fire Bagels on Kingsway Drive
I most definitely agree with Wood Fire. I hit Vincenzos first thing every Saturday morning to get my weekend treat. Great Montreal Style Bagels.
Woodfire

Taco Farm has opened a stand in the lower market at the Kitchener Market.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(03-28-2015, 09:05 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Taco Farm has opened a stand in the lower market at the Kitchener Market.

When I saw their sign up last week, I thought that it didn't seem a good fit for the main floor of the Market.  Passing by today, however, I see that they are selling lots of products like Mexican/Central American-style cheeses, salsas, dulce de leche, etc so it actually is a good addition to the Market selection.  Their hot food smells really good too!

By the way, another good newer vendor at the Market is "Soup Surreal".  They sell frozen portions of a variety of freshly-made soups and the ones I've tried are delicious.  The containers ($8) are large enough to feed two, so the price is quite attractive as well.
A second local South St Burger Co. location looks like it will be opening in the Sunrise Shopping Centre in the same strip as Quiznos, Starbucks and Payless.
Why can't we get a good burger joint like Smashburger or Five Guys Sad
Well since Five Guys now have at least a dozen locations in the Golden Horseshoe area there's hope for Waterloo region.
Every so often I run into businesses with the weirdest hours. Two that come to mind right now are

1) Nougat in Uptown which closes at 6pm on weekdays, right about the time when people start arriving at the mall after work and/or dinner, and

2) The Belmont in Belmont Village, which closes at 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Every time I've been there for dinner I've seen them turn away several groups of customers arriving at that time.

What gives?

I chalk it up to small town sensibilities/lifestyles. If they're small businesses run by a single family it can be hard to have extended hours.
Where can you go out to dinner in K-W after 9pm? Seriously, I want to know. Having to dine at 5pm because you're going to CITS or whatever is a drag, and embarrassing when you have company from out of town.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »