Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(11-22-2023, 11:33 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(11-22-2023, 01:04 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Hilariously, their site says “Dear customers, due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to close the restaurant temporarily.”

https://www.chezcora.com/en/breakfast-lu...-waterloo/

It then gives “Opening hours”, indicating it is closed all 7 days of the week.

Still hiring tho...haha.

Failed a health inspection?

(11-22-2023, 11:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-22-2023, 11:33 AM)ac3r Wrote: Still hiring tho...haha.

Failed a health inspection?

No — that’s the point, they are closed because their landlord locked them out for non-payment of rent (it works differently for commercial vs. residential). In other words, it was within their control to at least some extent.
(11-23-2023, 10:13 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-22-2023, 11:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Failed a health inspection?

No — that’s the point, they are closed because their landlord locked them out for non-payment of rent (it works differently for commercial vs. residential). In other words, it was within their control to at least some extent.

The health inspection would be posted on the Waterloo Region website I'd think. But, if they somehow ran out of money, then at some point it's no longer within their control. Or the landlord went and tried to increase the rent and they just wouldn't pay. I dunno.
McCabe’s pub in Kitchener closed for business

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/12/18...-business/
If it doesn't turn into an Indian restaurant or something, I could see that reopening up under a new name. Or at least another Irish style pub opening elsewhere since they're a fairly common feature anywhere.
(12-18-2023, 09:22 PM)ac3r Wrote: If it doesn't turn into an Indian restaurant or something, I could see that reopening up under a new name. Or at least another Irish style pub opening elsewhere since they're a fairly common feature anywhere.

I can't see another Irish pub happening. I think the article is very poor, mostly consisting of the opinions of a random guy, but he isn't entirely wrong. The new population of downtown Kitchener (people like myself) are just not as interested in mediocre pub food or even drinking. The McCabe's owner also owns the building and doesn't typically sell his properties, so if they choose to lease it any new restaurant will have a larger overhead to overcome in making it profitable. They also own Bobby O'Briens which serves a similar audience, but with less emphasis on the now missing lunchtime office workers.

I believe they are pretty close to opening their new billiards place above Slices, so maybe a refresh/reimagining/rebuild of the McCabes unit will be next up?
La Lola Tapas Bar opened up in the Benton Street garage.

(12-30-2023, 05:32 PM)ac3r Wrote: La Lola Tapas Bar opened up in the Benton Street garage.

Several months ago, no?
Has it been open that long? I know that Mexican place opened up in the one location not that long ago but I wasn't aware of La Lola being opened. Maybe I just never noticed.
(12-30-2023, 10:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 05:32 PM)ac3r Wrote: La Lola Tapas Bar opened up in the Benton Street garage.

Several months ago, no?

I don't think so. It was not open just before christmas.
(01-01-2024, 05:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 10:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Several months ago, no?

I don't think so. It was not open just before christmas.

It's been open since late October. You can see the announcement on their Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy1jO3AAH9O/
(01-01-2024, 06:25 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(01-01-2024, 05:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think so. It was not open just before christmas.

It's been open since late October. You can see the announcement on their Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy1jO3AAH9O/

Well ... it's been well disguised from the street, if it has been open! Casa Toro 88 has great street presence and engagement, this one apparently prefers to fly below the radar.
I wonder if they only just to a sign installed recently or something? Because I often wait for the bus at the intersection of this garage and I can't recall ever seeing signage installed. Super low key in any case.

Anyway I'll have to check it out, along with the neighbouring place.

(01-01-2024, 10:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: I wonder if they only just to a sign installed recently or something?

I agree the signage could be a little more prominent, but it has been there since Sept/Oct.

(01-01-2024, 10:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: Anyway I'll have to check it out, along with the neighbouring place.

Both are excellent and worth the visit.
A Onnuri location is opening up in One Hundred Victoria.

https://www.onnuritoronto.com/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »