Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
387-397 King St E and 6 Madison Ave | 2 & 8 fl | U/C
There are a few piles in the ground now.

Big step in the right direction for this project
A little progress here. Drewlo in the background. 

I imagine this will be completed before Drewlo !!
Sorry for the poor photos, but the taller building is above ground. Shorter building is still just a giant pit.

[Image: THjyWUU.jpg][Image: cxhY1l1.jpg]
from yesterday

[Image: jAUTO8M.jpg]
The commercial building is now framed to the full two floors -- steel-frame construction, unlike the condo building -- and Ben Thanh supermarket is now confirmed for the building, as was rumoured a long time ago but never confirmed.

Condo building? A rental project, isn’t it?
(07-01-2022, 03:45 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Condo building?  A rental project, isn’t it?

It's very much unclear. The signage at least used to say condominiums, although the lack of pre-sales would support the rental hypothesis.
It's an ugly building but at least it'll be infill for this area. Now if the city could only whip Drewlo into speeding the hell up on their work... This area is an eyesore with their incomplete project.
I'm excited about B&T moving and really hope they have wider aisles in the new building. My visit today reminded me why I usually avoid going there on Saturdays.
(07-02-2022, 06:22 AM)ac3r Wrote: It's an ugly building but at least it'll be infill for this area.

Yes. Empty for at least 45 years (Panamaniac might know the actual number). Drewlo's property was decrepit at that time already as well, though not actually empty.
Has it really been empty that long? Yikes.

There's a few locations downtown that have stood empty for so long. It's a shame, though I know the city was struggling for a long time. I'd love to see the one beside Kinkaku Izakaya get developed. Maybe fit a nice skinny skyscraper there. Though, if if I remember right, that parcel of land is technically 2 or 3 seperate properties. It's been empty for decades - ever since Zappers burned down in the late 90s.

(07-02-2022, 03:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 06:22 AM)ac3r Wrote: It's an ugly building but at least it'll be infill for this area.

Yes. Empty for at least 45 years (Panamaniac might know the actual number). Drewlo's property was decrepit at that time already as well, though not actually empty.

I think it was cleared out back in the 1970s.  I do recall an ambitious development proposal (offices, iirc) in the 1980s or 1990s, but obviously that never happened.

I'll be interested to see what happens to the old BT site - I still think the City should have been acquiring properties in that block for a new urban square.  Probably far too expensive now.
I now just assume anything becomes available along this stretch of King E will end up owned by Vive. 

In the last year or two both properties between Market Flats and Madison (Biba Boutique and a store/hair stylist) have also been listed for sale. Not sure if they sold or not though. 

(07-02-2022, 06:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I'll be interested to see what happens to the old BT site - I still think the City should have been acquiring properties in that block for a new urban square.  Probably far too expensive now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »