Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(05-22-2015, 09:34 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-22-2015, 08:49 AM)Spokes Wrote: Me too.  I don't think the facade is original, but I too like it.  Anyone know what the plans are for the apartments?  Or what their current state is?

As for the convenience store building, I'd lose no sleep seeing it go.  Keeping the Weber Chambers building though makes it very difficult to redevelop around it.

Need some creative architecture, but I'm certain something can be done (although it would  be easier if Weber Chambers and the convenience store were included).

On the other side, is the convenience store the only property between Weber Chambers and the City Centre property?

Yes

(05-21-2015, 09:38 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(05-21-2015, 12:35 PM)realtyforward Wrote: In the spirit of demolition (pardon my sarcasm), with the Mayfair and Hymmen buildings being removed, part of me feels like the two remaining buildings should also be demolished to create the best redevelopment opportunity. ... In any event, there's an opportunity for some great density and master planning on that site under current zoning if the frontage from Young St to the Elements building was considered as a whole. Unfortunately, with multiple property owners with different timelines and agendas, that can be difficult to achieve.

I think increasing the amount of frontage belonging to a single building here tends to result in more boring buildings and less interesting streetscapes. Demolishing a good building in order to make a wider homogeneous facade is not my idea of an improvement. I think if we got rid of the requirements to provide parking within every project and the minimum frontage requirements, it would be a lot easier to build good density without a large land assembly.

I see where you are coming from, but there's great examples of new buildings with large frontages and interesting facades - anything can be created with great design. Take the Waterloo Town Square development (LCBO to Channers) for example - it's one building but has the allusion of many due to the varying facades. Anyway, my point is that larger blank slates make it easier to redevelop and limit the number of vacant pockets in the core. I can appreciate the position that Weber Chambers should stay, but there are economies of scale with larger redevelopments and the trade off might be that we see a longer period of vacant land than we might otherwise if it were gone. I do like the Weber Chambers building though - I hope it isn't structurally compromised through this demolition work.
(05-22-2015, 09:37 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(05-22-2015, 09:34 AM)tomh009 Wrote: On the other side, is the convenience store the only property between Weber Chambers and the City Centre property?

Yes

Assuming the Weber Chambers building stays, that will certainly limit the redevelopment options for the convenience store.  Although in Tokyo they will build tall (earthquake-resistant!) buildings in less than 3m of street frontage ...
(05-21-2015, 08:12 PM)Lens Wrote:
(05-21-2015, 05:31 PM)KWchick Wrote: i worked there too. til a couple years ago.

i know they wont come back.. and factory work, if there is any, is usually temp or contract now anyhow.

i guess i wouldnt mind so much if i were just starting out. then i wouldnt have only factory experience.  but it is all i have pretty well.

there are only a couple blue collar type bars i know of, and though i dont go out like we all used to after work fridays, i have gone a few times.
mostly i just stay home now, as do the rest of the old crew, i think.

well i cant say i really find much that interests me downtown..  perhaps the once a year car show or bluesfest.  but not as a regular place to go.

but i guess it is good for some ppl, as you say.

It's a bit off topic, but what interests you outside of Downtown? As far as I'm concerned the highest concentration of activity and activities to take part in happen Downtown or Uptown.

And thank you notmyfriends! I took no pleasure in photographing the demolition but it was certainly interesting to see the short bit of work that I saw.

oh, well..

as i said, it used to interest me downtown..
lots of ppl i knew were still about, so it was nice just to even go for a walk down there and see them.
and of course as i mentioned, the old bars had lots of bands to go and see, for example.
just the familiarity i suppose.

that was kind of my point.
i realize most think it is great to have all new things and i am glad many still like it.
(05-21-2015, 11:27 AM)Owen Wrote:
(05-21-2015, 10:56 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: I know nothing about demo/salvaging, but the bricks are falling to the ground (which I would assume would at least damage them partially), and at the end of the day a bulldozer just pushes everything up against the side of the building.  I'm sure there are few salvageable bricks... but then again, what do I know?

I'm not sure about those red bricks, but the yellow bricks you see around town cost $4-$5 EACH to purchase if you need to do restoration work (speaking from residential experience - so may be available cheaper in large volumes - I have no idea) - if they are worth anything, I'm sure the demolition company is salvaging them for re-sale - there's a reason that the Kieswetters operate both Kieswetter Demolition as well as Timeless Materials Wink

And indeed they are being recovered.  As you can see, the brick clean-up is all manually done, which is why they are not cheap.

[Image: eSsCSId.jpg]
Yesterday:

[Image: zLsM2Oq.jpg]

[Image: TNKRGen.jpg]

[Image: 6XVahQY.jpg]

Leave for Italy out of YKF on the weekend... so no more updates.  Sad
(05-22-2015, 09:57 AM)realtyforward Wrote: I see where you are coming from, but there's great examples of new buildings with large frontages and interesting facades - anything can be created with great design. Take the Waterloo Town Square development (LCBO to Channers) for example - it's one building but has the allusion of many due to the varying facades. Anyway, my point is that larger blank slates make it easier to redevelop and limit the number of vacant pockets in the core.

If the west side of King from William to Willis is as good as it gets, it kind of proves my point. And how easy it is to redevelop is also a bit of the problem - designing something interesting to fit the space is a challenge, one that you don't need to confront if you are not as confined by space.

It's a moot point as it relates to this block, but I think we need to have more conversation as a city on how (or whether) small-lot redevelopment can work.

(05-22-2015, 08:45 PM)mpd618 Wrote: If the west side of King from William to Willis is as good as it gets, it kind of proves my point. And how easy it is to redevelop is also a bit of the problem - designing something interesting to fit the space is a challenge, one that you don't need to confront if you are not as confined by space.

I think he was saying that that part is nice, not that it is the epitome of modern design. Having said that, I challenge you to find a continuous King street front in KW that is nicer than that, new or old. I can give plenty of examples in other cities that are nicer, again, new and old, but here the standard has generally been rather low and it generally will be rather easy to build something nicer than what is being replaced.
Just a roughed map of what's been lost since the 60's

[Image: ip4mar2.jpg]
(05-22-2015, 11:31 PM)Lens Wrote: Just a roughed map of what's been lost since the 60's

Thanks for the pictures, this is really helpful. However I take issue with the blanket use of the word "lost".

For example, the new Kitchener City Hall block was unremarkable. So was was the previous structure on the government of Canada building on Duke St. You can add the consolidated court house structures to that. Those are clear gains.

On the loss side, we have, for example the old City Hall structures, which are sorely missed.
I agree, I simply want to illustrate what older structures had been lost, regardless of their particular value.

Two buildings that I think aren't talked about much are the 6 storey Dunker/Medical Arts building and the bank building where the BMO branch now stands.

[Image: 16700416812_3a74189f0a_b.jpg]The Mayfair Hotel by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 17992291021_56da8cbdc4_b.jpg]Mayfair Hotel Demolition - Gone by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 17803326070_0957692eb1_b.jpg]Mayfair Hotel Demolition - Last Grace on the Skyline by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 17803205020_76bfbb2839_b.jpg]Mayfair Hotel Demolition - Monochrome Mayhem by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 17987312202_e27eab7039_b.jpg]Mayfair Hotel Demolition - Exposed by Matt, on Flickr
(05-22-2015, 11:31 PM)Lens Wrote: Just a roughed map of what's been lost since the 60's

[Image: ip4mar2.jpg]

thats just sad.
What building was inside the red circle? It looks to be quite large. What is the reason it is gone?

[Image: ip4mar2_zpsxkfxadgk.jpg]

(05-24-2015, 01:45 PM)Drake Wrote: What building was inside the red circle? It looks to be quite large. What is the reason it is gone?

I don't remember the building, but it was torn down to make space for King Centre.
That was the Dunker Building, was it not?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »