Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homer Watson and Ottawa Three Lane Roundabouts
It seems like off ramps are only labelled with a direction if there is one direction of travel.

As an example, heading northbound on 85 at University Avenue, one exit says "University Avenue EAST" and the other says "University Avenue WEST". Both exits go to University Avenue East. But it is true that the WEST exit will eventually get you to University Avenue West. The southbound sign just says University Avenue.

On the other hand, King Street has only one exit which can go north or south. So the sign on the highway says only "King Street".

I believe the exit on 85 northbound at Northfield now only says "Northfield Drive EAST", although you can go west if you make a U-turn at Colby. And I think the southbound sign says "Northfield Drive WEST", but you can go east by making a U-turn at Parkside.

On the other hand, Lancaster is blowing my mind. Southbound 85 at Lancaster says "Lancaster Street WEST". And it is true that the exit goes to Lancaster Street West, but your direction of travel will be almost due south, so it probably could have been labelled "SOUTH". And it heads towards Lancaster Street East, so one could make a case for labelling it "EAST". I never realized that while most of the "east" and "west" streets in Kitchener do actually run roughly east to west near Queen Street, Lancaster does not, and runs pretty much as close to north/south as you can get in Kitchener. In fact, the part of Lancaster Street that is "east" is actually slightly west of the part that is "west".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Homer Watson and Ottawa Three Lane Roundabouts - by timc - 10-26-2017, 02:55 PM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by timc - 05-29-2017, 10:02 AM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by timc - 05-29-2017, 11:17 AM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by embe - 08-09-2017, 08:39 PM