Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
The original Mr. Grocer space was subdivided to include the (now vacated) Marks Work Wear space, plus the three or four other mall tenants who were shifted out of the interior space when Clarica bought the property. I wonder if there is going to be pressure to move some tenants around, especially since TD moved out.

Preliminary site plan was submitted for a T&T at 50 Westmount Rd N
(10-27-2016, 04:41 PM)GrizzledPaw Wrote: Preliminary site plan was submitted for a T&T at 50 Westmount Rd N

Great news for those in the area; this location should do very well.
(10-27-2016, 04:41 PM)GrizzledPaw Wrote: Preliminary site plan was submitted for a T&T at 50 Westmount Rd N

Where did you hear? Does the City have something on their website?
(10-27-2016, 09:51 PM)The85 Wrote:

Where did you hear? Does the City have something on their website?

I have a contact with the city, no BPs yet from this person and the website query.
I think T&T should do quite well at this location.
(10-28-2016, 10:57 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think T&T should do quite well at this location.

And take a substantial bite out of New City Supermarket's business, I'd imagine.

Farm Boy on Fairway is the only Waterloo Region grocer to get one of the new wine-sale licences.
(10-28-2016, 11:03 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-28-2016, 10:57 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think T&T should do quite well at this location.

And take a substantial bite out of New City Supermarket's business, I'd imagine.

I think there is plenty of room for both.  They are not physically close to each other, and T&T is much closer to a "normal" supermarket than New City.  Also, T&T will be able to pick up a lot of business from the UW student population, who are currently unlikely to hike it all the way to New City.
(10-28-2016, 11:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-28-2016, 11:03 AM)panamaniac Wrote: And take a substantial bite out of New City Supermarket's business, I'd imagine.

I think there is plenty of room for both.  They are not physically close to each other, and T&T is much closer to a "normal" supermarket than New City.  Also, T&T will be able to pick up a lot of business from the UW student population, who are currently unlikely to hike it all the way to New City.

That clientele currently hit New City in droves every Saturday, do they not?
Yep- there are plenty of students who get down to New City, at all times of the week. I bet your initial assessment is right that T&T will poach a lot of New City's business.
Although I do agree that there is plenty of business to go around.
(10-28-2016, 11:21 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Yep- there are plenty of students who get down to New City, at all times of the week. I bet your initial assessment is right that T&T will poach a lot of New City's business.

I think that's still a quite small percentage of the Asian student population ...

T&T isn't going to ruin New City.
It's going to ruin Waterloo Central Supermarket.
That might well be true...

But it's still a substantial raw number, and no doubt at least some of these would go to T&T at a closer location when given the option.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »