Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Uptown] Erb/Bridgeport/Caroline/Albert Reconstruction
(05-30-2016, 09:31 PM)MidTowner Wrote: [quote pid='22229' dateline='1464648360']
Why would Erb have its lights synchronized eastbound as a two-way street?

And what makes you think (maybe some data? maybe?) that traffic on Erb West are "going mostly to Weber or the highway"? I wouldn't assume that. I would assume that some are going to Uptown or taking King to some other destination, some are going to destinations on or near Bridgeport/Erb, and some are taking Weber. A poster pointed out earlier that, sufficiently far west on Erb, and it makes much more sense to head south on Fischer-Hallman to the Expressway, rather than cutting through the heart of Waterloo (which we don't probably want cars to be doing).

[/quote]

In answer to your first question: because that's what the proponents here of the two way streetsuggested would happen to keep the arterial nature of the street. And I agree with them. Not synchronizing the streets Erb and Bridgeport in each direction would make this proposal even more ridiculous. Without that it would be a guaranteed traffic jam.

In answer to your second question. I drive that street all the time at all times of the day since I lived on it or next to it for over nine years. The majority of the traffic on Erb and Caroline (where the constriction to one lane has happened in the past) stays together with two major exit points: Weber and the highway. Comparatively few people turn on King, Regina, Moore or Margaret. That is why I'm so familiar with the traffic jam whenever the street was constrained down to one line.

To your third point about reaching the highway I already addressed it earlier. It doesn't make more sense to drive down Fischer-Hallman, as I posted before. Since I lived on it, I had it timed to a tee. West of Amos you take FH, East of Amos you take Erb St E. Incidentally that is what taxi drivers/airport drivers do, and what google maps and GPS suggest.

Lastly it is not my duty to produce data. It's the people proposing this change who need to back it up. So far they haven't outside of "generally two way streets are nice", which is true, but these are not streets. They are arterial roads.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Uptown] Erb/Bridgeport/Caroline/Albert Reconstruction - by BuildingScout - 05-31-2016, 09:24 AM