Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(06-08-2020, 08:57 PM)REnerd Wrote: Looks like every other HIP project.  Look at this and then look at the render for the project uptown at the old post office.  Imagine how that will end up.

Hope the city steps up and demands better design.

Waterloo doesn't have a good track record for this.

Perhaps we should all reserve judgment on this building until it is actually complete.

I had a tour inside, as they are now leasing some units.

https://circa1877.ca/suites2

I think the units and the amenities are really well done.
The paint just is definitely not finished yet. I have spoken with Melloul-Blamey at another project and he was under the impression that the all of the concrete will be painted.  Personally I think this building is going to turnout quite nicely. The parking portion is a bit brutalistic not in a good way, but luckily that will be covered up when the adult recreation centre is redeveloped.
Out of curiousity, does anyone know how long the finish lasts on painted concrete? Does it fade over time?
Too me it is like putting lipstick on a pigs lips...
(06-10-2020, 09:58 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Out of curiousity, does anyone know how long the finish lasts on painted concrete?  Does it fade over time?

If Galaxy/Cineplex theatres are any indication, not well. Curious to see how the old City Hall holds up with it's new grey pants on the brick.
(06-09-2020, 10:38 PM)Momo26 Wrote: It'll be tolerable to decent with the black paint. As good as pre cast can be. Pre cast has a kind of thinner flatness feel to it.

Precast really is just concrete, it can look flat or not. This is precast, too, and surely not a more expensive building:

(06-10-2020, 09:39 AM)JeffH Wrote: Perhaps we should all reserve judgment on this building until it is actually complete.

I had a tour inside, as they are now leasing some units.

https://circa1877.ca/suites2

I think the units and the amenities are really well done.

Agreed. I think this will look pretty good when it's complete.  Also, word on the street is that the restaurant proposed for the King St. side of Circa is going to be a show-stopper.  Keep in mind, they were somewhat limited by the size and shape of the lot.  I'm sure their first preference was not to put up a slab shaped building.  I do agree though that using pre-coloured pre-cast brick would have looked better than painted concrete.
All stock photos so far - when are those ready for occupation?
(06-10-2020, 04:19 PM)Momo26 Wrote: All stock photos so far - when are those ready for occupation?

I don't think they're stock photos. They match the floor plan, and you can see the Bauer Lofts out the window in one of them.
(06-10-2020, 10:17 AM)Chris Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 09:58 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Out of curiousity, does anyone know how long the finish lasts on painted concrete?  Does it fade over time?

If Galaxy/Cineplex theatres are any indication, not well. Curious to see how the old City Hall holds up with it's new grey pants on the brick.
You’d think they could tint precast concrete, but I guess it could be a challenge to get a uniform result.
(06-10-2020, 10:17 AM)Chris Wrote:

See Also: 1 Columbia. Or is that not concrete?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4817373,...312!8i6656
Drove past today and there were moving trucks there. Also a sign saying units available for lease

(06-10-2020, 05:18 PM)timc Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 10:17 AM)Chris Wrote: If Galaxy/Cineplex theatres are any indication, not well. Curious to see how the old City Hall holds up with it's new grey pants on the brick.

See Also: 1 Columbia. Or is that not concrete?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4817373,...312!8i6656
I am not a 100% sure how long painted precast last, but I would guess 20ish years with a bit of fading to be expected. 

Both of these examples are not precast concrete. They are cheap EIFS panels with probably the cheapest finish coat the developers could find. Painted 40 year old brick is not comparable either. 

I do agree that it might have looked nicer if they had used a brick pattern stamped on concrete panel to add a little texture.
In that link I ONLY see the rendered stock photos...I did not click every single listing but which has actual pictures?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »