Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(05-11-2016, 06:15 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-11-2016, 11:40 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I agree with the notion that six stories of parking is excessive...but I think the solution is to reduce the amount of parking while maintaining the number of units... I would imagine there will be households here who can exist without owning a car, given access to transit and the amenities within walking distance.

Depending on the target demographic, the demand could well be for two parking spaces for many of the condos, not for no parking spaces.  One would like to be in that world, but we in K-W aren't there yet.

Are we at a point where every development should have very few parking spaces? Probably not. But if we were to look at the neighbouring condos (Red/Bauer/144/155), I think we'd find they have ample parking. If we look at the condo-like living that older students are going for in Waterloo (towers on King between University and Columbia, similar build types), we'd find that even with less than a spot/unit, their parking is anything but full. I think we're ready to have a building with zero parking, or at the very least a condo with fewer parking spots than units. One, in the core of a region of more than half a million, next to the entryways to the busiest cycling and transit corridors, should not be too extreme for our region.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 181 King St S - by Spokes - 10-01-2014, 10:46 PM
RE: 181 King St S - by The85 - 02-14-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: 181 King St S: Brick Brewing Redevelopment - by Viewfromthe42 - 05-12-2016, 07:43 AM