Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
This project has been approved by Waterloo City Council, at 19 stories.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/705925...ewing-site

Deets:
Quote:On Monday, Waterloo councillors approved the 19-storey project, which includes 188 condos with 214 bedrooms, 520 square metres of commercial space and 159 parking spaces.

The approved proposal is a slight decrease from the original proposal for 20 storeys with 194 residential units, 304 bedrooms and 223 parking spaces.
So the biggest thing the city of Waterloo did was to cut down on bedrooms, taking an average of 1.57 bedrooms per unit to now 1.14. That's very, very sad in my mind.
What are the chances that there will be any two-floor units? Love those... guessing not if they have changed it to mostly 1-bedroom units. Sad

Need more 2-floor units with open-to-below's!
(01-10-2017, 07:00 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: So the biggest thing the city of Waterloo did was to cut down on bedrooms, taking an average of 1.57 bedrooms per unit to now 1.14. That's very, very sad in my mind.

I agree completely. I think this is a case of certain vocal opponents speaking out against the project, instead of offering reasonable critique and suggestions for improvement, with the end result that the development is changed in a way that works against the interests of the existing community.

What do we want in "established neighbourhoods"? If we understand that change is inevitable, I think what we want is a diversity of housing choices, so that different types of people and families can move in. I know that's what I want for my established, central, family-oriented neighbourhood. But in pushing for less floors, less lot coverage, on and on, we guarantee that we get smaller units less accessible to more types of households...the folks who are doing that don't realize that they should be working with the developer and the City to get developments with two- and three-bedroom units suitable for families (along with other types), instead of pushing for fewer stories, less lot coverage, and other concessions that force the developer to build smaller units accessible to fewer different types of people.
On the other hand, they substantially reduced parking!
And increased the commercial (retail?) space.

(01-10-2017, 09:10 PM)Canard Wrote: What are the chances that there will be any two-floor units?  Love those... guessing not if they have changed it to mostly 1-bedroom units. Sad

Need more 2-floor units with open-to-below's!

There are still a few available at Arrow Lofts.  Not cheap, mind you ...
(01-10-2017, 11:35 PM)mpd618 Wrote: On the other hand, they substantially reduced parking!

0.846 spaces per unit, down from 1.15
0.743 spaces per bed, up from 0.733
Aside from whether the change was bad, the council approval concedes the idea that near uptown, it is acceptable for people to purchase a brand new condo without parking. You could build a whole 55-unit condo with just those no-parking buyers from this building. (At what point can we dispense with this charade of minimum parking requirements?)
(01-10-2017, 11:35 PM)mpd618 Wrote: On the other hand, they substantially reduced parking!

Horray...? Huh

I guess that jives with all the single-bedroom units? Making the assumption that this building is no longer for families, and just for singles/young couples who are just starting out, and who live/work downtown (UpTown).
(01-11-2017, 07:18 AM)Canard Wrote:

Horray...?  Huh

I guess that jives with all the single-bedroom units? Making the assumption that this building is no longer for families, and just for singles/young couples who are just starting out, and who live/work downtown (UpTown).

That seems to be the general assumption among most condos in Waterloo Region thus far.  Rightly or wrongly.
(01-11-2017, 02:25 AM)mpd618 Wrote: Aside from whether the change was bad, the council approval concedes the idea that near uptown, it is acceptable for people to purchase a brand new condo without parking. You could build a whole 55-unit condo with just those no-parking buyers from this building. (At what point can we dispense with this charade of minimum parking requirements?)

That's a very optimistic outlook- thanks for that. Yes, it's a good thing if we start building units without parking, and where better in the Region than here?

I just read an article the other day that Buffalo was getting rid of parking minimums. It claimed that it was the first city in the U.S. to do so city-wide (as opposed to just in specific districts). We should follow suit- at least for specific districts, but preferably everywhere. We don't need the distortions parking minimums create.

(01-11-2017, 09:23 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(01-11-2017, 07:18 AM)Canard Wrote: I guess that jives with all the single-bedroom units? Making the assumption that this building is no longer for families, and just for singles/young couples who are just starting out, and who live/work downtown (UpTown).

That seems to be the general assumption among most condos in Waterloo Region thus far.  Rightly or wrongly.

A related assumption is that only singles/young couples who are just starting out would want to avoid paying for a parking spot they may or may not use. What about families who would like a two- or three-bedroom unit, whose wage-earners work somewhere accessible by transit, and whose children will attend school nearby?
(01-10-2017, 07:00 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: So the biggest thing the city of Waterloo did was to cut down on bedrooms, taking an average of 1.57 bedrooms per unit to now 1.14. That's very, very sad in my mind.

Agreed. The time is now to start giving families options in core area condos. Townhouses and detached homes are skyrocketing in price and will drive many to looking at different possibilities. There's economic incentive for families to start locating centrally in high density developments.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »