Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(01-11-2017, 11:45 PM)embe Wrote: I'm just trying to understand is it a Condo thing where people don't want parking?  Other than walking (which is good), there are a lot of people that rely on a car to go beyond walking distance to their Job, visit family and friends, travel outside of town etc. 

Why not designated parking spots?  No car, you save the monthly parking spot fee. You have two cars? You pay twice the parking fee as the guy that has no cars, and those two spots are up to you

Just not seeing how a LACK of a parking spot at a residence can be considered a plus.

^ This! Thisthisthisthisthis.

I get the distinct impression that there are a lot of people here who don't have a car, never leave Waterloo Region, and are happy with that. And I keep feeling like it's a lifestyle that's getting shoved down my throat - "It's good enough for me, so it should be good enough for you, too! You're a bad person, because you're an entitled car driver who makes my pedestrian lifestyle feel hostile."

Some of us go on road trips. Some of us like to drive! It's fun. Some people have kids who play soccer and hockey. Are we expected to bike the kids somehow to Soccer and Hockey?

When we lived at the Kaufman Lofts, we only had one parking spot with our unit. But, my husband and I have 2 cars. So, one car sat for 2 years, unused, in my parent's garage in rural Ontario. When we finally moved into a house in KW, phew - I could pull our "fun" car out of storage, work on it in the driveway, and get it back on the road. I would never consider going back to a Condo, with fewer than 2 spots (and, now, without a charging port - looking at swapping one of the cars for an EV).

I get that we want Waterloo Region to be like Amsterdam, Tokyo or Paris. I really do. I love those cities. And they're incredible that you can get everywhere without a car (I wouldn't want to drive in any of them). But we're not there. We're a mostly-rural Ontario town that's growing, and it's just not practical at this point to expect that everyone give up their cars, and never leave the Region.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 181 King St S - by Spokes - 10-01-2014, 10:46 PM
RE: 181 King St S - by The85 - 02-14-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: 181 King St S: Brick Brewing Redevelopment - by Canard - 01-12-2017, 01:42 PM