Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(01-12-2017, 02:11 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: A lack of a parking spot can be considered a plus because I don't have to pay for it. As has been said, at 30-50K for an underground spot, I would much rather see a developer charging that much for each spot, so that I can choose to not pay it and get what I want. Currently, anyone wanting to live in downtown areas can very easily find places with sufficient parking, or where it can be acquired. However, it is very nearly impossible to find a condo anywhere in the region where you can get a unit with parking for $X, but a unit without parking for $X-50,000. I'm not even being offered the choice, whereas everything is required, seemingly, to be designed and built to drivers' needs. I'm fine with plenty being built to drivers' needs, but I'd like at least a single option in this region of ~600,000 to be built to my needs. I wouldn't think that this would be so hard to offer.

What you are describing is pretty common in larger centres like Toronto, is it not?  It would be interesting to know what the developer's response might be to a prospective purchaser seeking a price adjustment based on not taking a parking space with the unit.  Not having a parking space could be a limiting factor at resale time, but I'm not sure there'd be much of a downside for the developer, especially if it opened the opportunity to make an additional space available for sale to another purchaser/owner.

Given that this isn't available at the moment, there is the option of renting out your spot. I know people in my building who rent out their spot as they don't own a car.
Interesting perspective, learned something different. Hadn't really considered living in a Condo which is why I was curious. That being said, even if I were to move into a Condo and a parking spot was an extra ~$25-40K (let's say 10% of the Condo price) I'd probably spring for it anyway from an investment point of view. 5-10 years down the road (lol) I'd have to think it would be a more marketable commodity when selling. If real estate hadn't increased more than 10% during that time there would be bigger problems to worry about.
(01-12-2017, 08:44 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 07:18 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Let’s talk about bread.

I went to the bakery and they were all out! We should have a government regulation that requires them to bake enough bread! Furthermore, the bread is too expensive. The regulation should require them to bake enough that the price is lower. In fact, while we’re at it, let’s require them to bake so much bread that the price drops to 0!

Seriously though, if we switch the discussion back to only large grocery stores (let’s suppose actual bakeries and small stores were exempt), a “minimum bread production” regulation would probably be less damaging than our parking minima. So large grocery stores would be sources of free bread on their dime. In the context of operating a Zehr’s, that’s probably just a small impact. Whereas parking minima frequently prevent good developments from happening at all.

The problem with this analogy is that if the parking supply isn't provided appropriately by the developer, public space ends up being used to supply the development with parking instead. If a grocery store doesn't make enough bread, it's not like we see illegal bread making operations spill over onto public space.

That’s what enforcement is for. It’s simply absurd to say that because people who can’t find a place to park at the store built with little parking might spill over onto the street, therefore we have to require the store to provide parking.

The only situation where I have any sympathy at all is the one where a neighbourhood has long had sufficient parking for guests to park near residents’ houses, and now a new development moves in and starts using the free on-street spaces. But even there, what is happening is that something provided for free by the City now has higher demand, such that the market clearing price is no longer free (at least at some time periods). To at least some extent, residents should be thankful they had free parking for a period of time rather than resentful that the gift is coming to an end.
(01-12-2017, 09:47 PM)embe Wrote: Interesting perspective, learned something different.  Hadn't really considered living in a Condo which is why I was curious.  That being said, even if I were to move into a Condo and a parking spot was an extra ~$25-40K (let's say 10% of the Condo price) I'd probably spring for it anyway from an investment point of view.  5-10 years down the road (lol) I'd have to think it would be a more marketable commodity when selling.  If real estate hadn't increased more than 10% during that time there would be bigger problems to worry about.

Unless car ownership continues to decline.  It might be the only part of your purchase that depreciates.
(01-12-2017, 10:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 09:47 PM)embe Wrote: Interesting perspective, learned something different.  Hadn't really considered living in a Condo which is why I was curious.  That being said, even if I were to move into a Condo and a parking spot was an extra ~$25-40K (let's say 10% of the Condo price) I'd probably spring for it anyway from an investment point of view.  5-10 years down the road (lol) I'd have to think it would be a more marketable commodity when selling.  If real estate hadn't increased more than 10% during that time there would be bigger problems to worry about.

Unless car ownership continues to decline.  It might be the only part of your purchase that depreciates.

Maybe?  I'd wager people that can afford one of these Condo's in the next 5-10 years can also afford a car and want a spot to park it.  Or by then, these coveted parking spots can become bike racks and everything would also be fine
One thing I find frequently missed in these conversations - not just by laypeople but also by city planners - is that if some buildings undersupply parking relative to their residents' demands, other nearby buildings can provide commercially-available parking to satisfy that demand. City planners seem to forget that commercial parking is an important land use to allow in order to enable other buildings to take more risks.

(01-11-2017, 11:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: 181 King S is a bit far to be prime student rental space, though.

How do you figure? As it is now it is probably only 15min to Laurier or 20min to UW by transit, similar to Northdale travel times, but with more amenities nearby. When Ion is up and running you could probably be at either university in <10min.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Speaking of parking and this building in particular...was there any hint of whether all of the parking would be below ground, or would it be in a podium with parking possibly inside the existing brewery building? It's somewhat hard to tell from the render.
From the render, clearly most of the podium is parking (not enough windows for anything else).  Looks like commercial within the existing brewery building, and possibly condo units at the back.

[Image: 181king_updated_0.png]
The existing building windows almost look like we're seeing car headlights through the windows.
(01-13-2017, 01:13 AM)mpd618 Wrote: One thing I find frequently missed in these conversations - not just by laypeople but also by city planners - is that if some buildings undersupply parking relative to their residents' demands, other nearby buildings can provide commercially-available parking to satisfy that demand. City planners seem to forget that commercial parking is an important land use to allow in order to enable other buildings to take more risks.

When one is fixated on the idea that there is only enough parking if there is always available free parking, the concept of a commercial parking garage makes no sense. Imagine if grocery stores had to provide sufficient bread that it was free — the idea of a standalone bakery wouldn’t make sense! How can you sell something that is free?

So yeah, you’re absolutely right.
(01-13-2017, 02:00 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The existing building windows almost look like we're seeing car headlights through the windows.

That's what it looks like to me as well, at least the 2nd and 3rd floors

Very cool update from exchange magazine on this project, the Brick Brewery is planning to open a brew pub and restaurant here.

Also the project is going to have a lot of smart technologies built in as well as greater flexibility for unit purchasers who don't want a parking stall.

Construction expected to start in late 2017 or early 2018.

http://www.exchangemagazine.com/currenti...l34No4.pdf
All great stuff. Very exciting about a potential Brick restaurant. It specifically says that 30% of units will have no dedicated parking- wonderful.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »