Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours
The 1500-1800 units is based on their conceptual plan, over 9-10 years. There is no committed site plan or number or type of units.

So looks like there are x2 MZO’s in this area. Redevelopment of the former Lens Mill, max 140 units. AND now, to the West of this Lammer Developments is proposing 1,500-1,800 units spread across condo towers, senior living and townhouses. So one smaller development, and one massive one right next door. I will definitely want to take a look at this second proposals traffic study.

I do agree all these MZO’s seem strange.
Two projects then, one is adaptive reuse and the other is a new build.
The second is the big one at SmartCentres Cambridge at Hespeler/Pinebush. 41 buildings, a few of them being as high as 35 floors: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1501
Developer withdraws proposal to seek MZO for high-density project in Hespeler
(04-27-2021, 09:52 PM)Acitta Wrote: Developer withdraws proposal to seek MZO for high-density project in Hespeler

I think the link above was cut short.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...%20evening

Coke
(04-28-2021, 10:49 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 09:52 PM)Acitta Wrote: Developer withdraws proposal to seek MZO for high-density project in Hespeler

I think the link above was cut short.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...%20evening

Coke
Fixed.

'I will miss the view, but as a city we need this growth': Resident says Cambridge development will be boon for business (cambridgetimes.ca)

A 28-storey, 146-suite hotel and 37-storey, 253-unit condominium project has been proposed on Water Street North. It's been named Cambridge Mill Hotel and Condominium. | Urban Solutions rendering

image https://media2.zuza.com/8/2/8256547e-ccb...20Mill.JPG
While I highly doubt this will be approved because Cambridge hates itself and seems to make its goal to fail every chance has, it's nice to see a NIMBY be somewhat reasonable. His only issue is the size of the buildings which is fair. All the other complaints are minor - i.e. shadows and traffic but he is clearly overestimating how bad such things would be.

Despite the height, they still look okay along the river and will indeed liven up the area as the person admits. They'd have no impact on birds which is good. Cambridge residents will need to come to terms that this part of the region is going to become heavily developed due to how nice the location is. The sooner people can accept that tall buildings are not destructive, the better this part of the city can become. I mean, what is preferable? A half dead downtown that has junkies all over the place since they have nowhere to go, or an economically and socially progressive downtown that will benefit all of the citizens? I don't think anyone but racist white boomers (which tend to be the ones complaining about new ideas) would prefer the former. Build it.
If it looks like the rendering, it will be a nice addition to Downtown Cambridge.
(05-04-2021, 06:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: While I highly doubt this will be approved because Cambridge hates itself and seems to make its goal to fail every chance has, it's nice to see a NIMBY be somewhat reasonable. His only issue is the size of the buildings which is fair. All the other complaints are minor - i.e. shadows and traffic but he is clearly overestimating how bad such things would be.

Despite the height, they still look okay along the river and will indeed liven up the area as the person admits. They'd have no impact on birds which is good. Cambridge residents will need to come to terms that this part of the region is going to become heavily developed due to how nice the location is. The sooner people can accept that tall buildings are not destructive, the better this part of the city can become. I mean, what is preferable? A half dead downtown that has junkies all over the place since they have nowhere to go, or an economically and socially progressive downtown that will benefit all of the citizens? I don't think anyone but racist white boomers (which tend to be the ones complaining about new ideas) would prefer the former. Build it.
Wow!
(05-04-2021, 02:52 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: 'I will miss the view, but as a city we need this growth': Resident says Cambridge development will be boon for business (cambridgetimes.ca)

A 28-storey, 146-suite hotel and 37-storey, 253-unit condominium project has been proposed on Water Street North. It's been named Cambridge Mill Hotel and Condominium. | Urban Solutions rendering

image https://media2.zuza.com/8/2/8256547e-ccb...20Mill.JPG
Look like a couple of well designed towers to me. If Cambridge doesn't want them Kitchener will take them. Nice to see a hotel proposed in the region that is not a "holiday inn" beside the highway. Galt definitely has a lot of potential to become a main driver of development in the region. Easily the nicest downtown in the region. Just hasn't received the loved that uptown or downtown has received in the last couple decades.  Hopefully its own residents don't stand it the way of progress and allow Galt to continue its transformation. Based on the limited people I know living in Galt there is a good chance the people on top of the hill are rallying against this development (Which is not unique to Cambridge). Hopefully the feel heard, but are not powerful enough to stop a development like this.
(05-04-2021, 06:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: While I highly doubt this will be approved because Cambridge hates itself and seems to make its goal to fail every chance has, it's nice to see a NIMBY be somewhat reasonable. His only issue is the size of the buildings which is fair. All the other complaints are minor - i.e. shadows and traffic but he is clearly overestimating how bad such things would be.

This project will probably be approved, just at a greatly reduced height after going through a number of neighborhood meetings (The 2 towers proposed for Shade and Kerr streets have been reduced from 24 and 30 stories to 18 stories). It's not that Cambridge hates itself, the problem is that there is too much of a small town mentality that is holding this city back. People see the old limestone buildings and church spires and want nothing else. Or if there is something modern being built, it can't be visible or block the view of the old buildings and church spires.

Yeah basically. They'd rather have businesses with boarded up windows or old newspaper covering up store fronts. Instead of tourists and citizens walking the street, it seems they'd prefer to have junkies and riff raff digging through recycling bins for change to get their next fix. Downtown Cambridge could be the nicest downtown in the region but old white people seem to prefer to watch it die, especially when you read their so called objections to the LRT. Yet at the end of the day, they'll blame us nothing ever happens there.

Time to wake up boomers, it's 2021.
I can appreciate keeping the heritage in cambridge and juxtaposing it with modern towers. both the shade street proposal and this one (can that and this get their own threads btw pls) are in great locations for intensification. I can understand people wanting things a little height reduction on the shade st proposal (cambridge really has no tall buildings, think how long it took kitchener to get a 30 story building. It took till last year w Charlie west) 24 and 20 would've been perfect for the shade st proposal imo. 

I think the height here is excellent and I'd like to see it, but I do think these denser developments should be more along the edges of downtown like this and shade st are. I'd be hesitant to build this right in the dead center of galt.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »