Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
345 King St W | 6 fl | Complete
IMO the building is really nice in person. The 'overhang' doesn't come too far out. I'm not even entirely sure if it covers most or part of the sidewalk technically.

It's a welcome addition to a downtown that is attracting a lot of professionals. I would love to see 4 - 5+ more 'grade A' office buildings in DTK over the next 5 or so years.

I know there are mixed reviews, but I really like it. It's coming together nicely
(11-19-2019, 05:33 PM)Momo26 Wrote: IMO the building is really nice in person. The 'overhang' doesn't come too far out. I'm not even entirely sure if it covers most or part of the sidewalk technically.

It's a welcome addition to a downtown that is attracting a lot of professionals. I would love to see 4 - 5+ more 'grade A' office buildings in DTK over the next 5 or so years.

The overhang is flush to the property line, no?  It's the inward angle of the ground floor that creates the "overhang".  Although I assume that the area will be part of an extended sidewalk.
(11-19-2019, 08:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 05:33 PM)Momo26 Wrote: IMO the building is really nice in person. The 'overhang' doesn't come too far out. I'm not even entirely sure if it covers most or part of the sidewalk technically.

The overhang is flush to the property line, no?  It's the inward angle of the ground floor that creates the "overhang".  Although I assume that the area will be part of an extended sidewalk.

This is what I figured and as such, I don't count that as part of the public "sidewalk". Technically it would be private property no? 

In any event that's cool as hell. Reminds of something you'd find in a metropolitan city or Europe.
(11-19-2019, 11:20 PM)Momo26 Wrote: This is what I figured and as such, I don't count that as part of the public "sidewalk". Technically it would be private property no? 

In any event that's cool as hell. Reminds of something you'd find in a metropolitan city or Europe.

This city needs way more of that sort of thing. If it were routine, you could walk all over downtown without getting rained on except when crossing the street. It’s a great compromise between fully enclosed bridges or tunnels and having a completely disconnected city. Any medium rise area should have roofed walkways like this.
I agree, plus it looks great !
Would have been amazing if the city had something like the Path you find in Toronto or even Jackson Square in Hamilton where there is shopping under that block of office buildings.

(11-20-2019, 09:30 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 11:20 PM)Momo26 Wrote: This is what I figured and as such, I don't count that as part of the public "sidewalk". Technically it would be private property no? 

This city needs way more of that sort of thing. If it were routine, you could walk all over downtown without getting rained on except when crossing the street. It’s a great compromise between fully enclosed bridges or tunnels and having a completely disconnected city. Any medium rise area should have roofed walkways like this.

As noted previously, it used to be routine thanks in part to canopies, until the 1970s.  I think they disappeared about the same time the City obliged all businesses to have their signs flush to the building.
Ottawa has a few buildings like that and it's a great design feature
The crane is coming down right now.
Another fallen crane Sad
(11-25-2019, 11:07 AM)jwilliamson Wrote: The crane is coming down right now.

Maybe it can go to the Development at King and Cameron.  So many cranes going down, yet they can't get one up, lol
(11-25-2019, 02:26 PM)Square Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:07 AM)jwilliamson Wrote: The crane is coming down right now.

Maybe it can go to the Development at King and Cameron.  So many cranes going down, yet they can't get one up, lol
I can confirm that is not happening.

My heart is breaking
The crane may be gone, but we've got a beautiful new office building in return.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »