Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
Possibly once it was put out to tender it was too expensive. There is a lot of material there, it's almost like a heat sink with tons of surface area. If that's all steel or aluminum it would be very expensive.

I'm holding out hope - though very little at this point - that the current facade creates a more detailed version of the lighted design feature behind the fins, and that the fins will still be installed.
(06-01-2020, 07:42 AM)mastermind Wrote: Possibly once it was put out to tender it was too expensive.  There is a lot of material there, it's almost like a heat sink with tons of surface area.  If that's all steel or aluminum it would be very expensive.

Change "too expensive" to "more than the developer was willing to spend" and I agree with you.
I'm not sure how the original concept would really have worked. The lighted street map behind the fins looks great -- but the parking garage interior lights would destroy the effect, unless there were a solid (concrete?) wall behind the map. Even with the current small perforations, the parking garage lights are highly visible at night.
(06-01-2020, 09:48 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I'm not sure how the original concept would really have worked. The lighted street map behind the fins looks great -- but the parking garage interior lights would destroy the effect, unless there were a solid (concrete?) wall behind the map. Even with the current small perforations, the parking garage lights are highly visible at night.

Isn't the intention of the final version that the light from the parking garage is what will illuminate the map from behind?
(06-01-2020, 10:04 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 09:48 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I'm not sure how the original concept would really have worked. The lighted street map behind the fins looks great -- but the parking garage interior lights would destroy the effect, unless there were a solid (concrete?) wall behind the map. Even with the current small perforations, the parking garage lights are highly visible at night.

Isn't the intention of the final version that the light from the parking garage is what will illuminate the map from behind?

Maybe yes. But I think they would need to add frosted glass or something, otherwise the individual light fixtures are what shows through.
(06-01-2020, 08:08 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm holding out hope - though very little at this point - that the current facade creates a more detailed version of the lighted design feature behind the fins, and that the fins will still be installed.

Was thinking the same. Still a possibility this isn't the final product but hoping for more might be too much for reality vs. render.

(06-01-2020, 10:04 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

Thats how I understood it.
View from the crane:

https://www.facebook.com/kyle.neverfaile...680302226/

*(BLM rally.  Not my FB page)

Coke
(06-04-2020, 10:46 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: View from the crane:

https://www.facebook.com/kyle.neverfaile...680302226/

*(BLM rally.  Not my FB page)

Coke
That is an excellent view! Crazy to think were getting towers of the height too. 

This building was looking good in a lot of the stories I saw too. 

It's also crazy how much the city has changed and how different it looks in that video compared to what it would've been 10 years ago. I was going to link one of the photos I saw, but it didnt showcase any building in particular, I was just struck by how urban and big city kitchener looked in it.
It looks like they are raising the crane again today.

Thank you for the update. Yes, I did see 3 pieces on Halls Lane when I walked by last Monday.
How many floors up is this now?

(06-08-2020, 07:03 AM)Spokes Wrote: How many floors up is this now?
If I can count correctly 16 so about halfway
(05-26-2020, 09:38 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Looking at the cladding again, it's very clear, even to a casual observer, that there is a pattern to the holes. What the pattern means or represents is not obvious -- but that could actually be intentional, to get people to look and think.
 I wonder if they will backlight the cladding? Different view at night. ? ? ?
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »