Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(03-24-2023, 05:46 PM)ac3r Wrote: Hopefully prior to signing on the dotted line for your condo you did in fact accept that living literally right beside a) one of the Canadian National mainlines b) a Metrolinx train yard c) a train station would indeed be a loud place to live.

Metrolinx may say they won't idle trains longer than they need but obviously that changes. As mentioned above, diesel locomotives are not an easy thing to cold start so they really don't like to shut them down, particularly in the winter months. It's just the nature of the technology and location, so it isn't that "ridiculous" as someone said. Annoying I'm sure, but probably something you'll have to get used to if you plan on living there long term.

Funny actually I signed the purchase agreement in fall of 2019 and got an additional amendment in fall of 2022 regarding train noise… but at that point it’s too late to do anything about it as all of your deposits are paid and your financing is lined up. 
I’ve got no problem with trains going by. It just seems a little silly to have them running 24/7 if they don’t need to be.

(03-24-2023, 05:46 PM)ac3r Wrote: Hopefully prior to signing on the dotted line for your condo you did in fact accept that living literally right beside a) one of the Canadian National mainlines b) a Metrolinx train yard c) a train station would indeed be a loud place to live.

Metrolinx may say they won't idle trains longer than they need but obviously that changes. As mentioned above, diesel locomotives are not an easy thing to cold start so they really don't like to shut them down, particularly in the winter months. It's just the nature of the technology and location, so it isn't that "ridiculous" as someone said. Annoying I'm sure, but probably something you'll have to get used to if you plan on living there long term.
Reminds me of Breslau …
(03-24-2023, 05:58 PM)CP42 Wrote: Funny actually I signed the purchase agreement in fall of 2019 and got an additional amendment in fall of 2022 regarding train noise… but at that point it’s too late to do anything about it as all of your deposits are paid and your financing is lined up. 
I’ve got no problem with trains going by. It just seems a little silly to have them running 24/7 if they don’t need to be.

It's probably something you'll hear more of in the winter months. Warmer months it's less likely, since it's much easier to cold start a diesel engine in those temperatures.

Interestingly, most diesel engines do in fact have things similar to modern cars where they'll turn off on their own as a way to preserve fuel (though paradoxically, it still uses a ton of it to start up again...go figure environmental nonsense makes no sense). So come summer, chances are you usually won't hear them idling unless there is a necessary reason. But this time of year it's not at all surprising and just something you'll have to accept living so close to an important piece of rail infrastructure.

At least it's just a couple idling trains. I am sure when the new train station opens and all day GO service starts, you'll be hearing a lot more than that: the sound of GO/VIA/CN/the local shortlines train engines, horns and announcements basically non-stop.
At least it's not a freight yard!

As someone who lives beside a freight yard, and knew so when signing on the dotted line, I don't think it's controversial to wish for improvements. I truly don't expect anything to ever change, but I also know that my quality of life would improve if I wasn't smelling diesel fumes every day or being kept awake by the constant screeching and clanging from the train yard. It's similar to people who move near the Boardwalk and complain of the smell - obviously they should have done their diligence before moving in, but it would still improve their lives to eliminate it. At least the idling train problem is a much quicker and easier fix.

To the original complaint about the trains running overnight, my understanding is that shore power facilities are supposed to prevent this. It's hard on the engines to run 24/7, not to mention the huge amounts of wasted fuel while idling (an no, they aren't saving fuel by idling all night instead of having to re-start in the morning). Considering KW is proposing to have thousands of people move within earshot of this area, I think it would be in their best interest to convince Metrolinx to install shore power receptacles. It seems like a pretty simple way to win a lot of votes in the area, at least.
Metrolinx had long term plans for a yard in Baden.
(03-25-2023, 11:14 AM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:

As someone who lives beside a freight yard, and knew so when signing on the dotted line, I don't think it's controversial to wish for improvements. I truly don't expect anything to ever change, but I also know that my quality of life would improve if I wasn't smelling diesel fumes every day or being kept awake by the constant screeching and clanging from the train yard. It's similar to people who move near the Boardwalk and complain of the smell - obviously they should have done their diligence before moving in, but it would still improve their lives to eliminate it. At least the idling train problem is a much quicker and easier fix.

To the original complaint about the trains running overnight, my understanding is that shore power facilities are supposed to prevent this. It's hard on the engines to run 24/7, not to mention the huge amounts of wasted fuel while idling (an no, they aren't saving fuel by idling all night instead of having to re-start in the morning). Considering KW is proposing to have thousands of people move within earshot of this area, I think it would be in their best interest to convince Metrolinx to install shore power receptacles. It seems like a pretty simple way to win a lot of votes in the area, at least.

This is on point.

There's a difference between "I live near a noisy freight yard"...and "Metrolinx is needlessly idling its trains overnight for no reason and noise pollution is only one of the many harms this causes".

They should proceed with building a staging yard in the west end like they had mentioned before. They could have a proper facility for maintenance and maybe even a platform at the West end of Kitchener before the trains would go park. Also, the work is proceeding well at doubling the tracks in Breslau. They have moved a lot of earth.
An update on this since I’ve started paying more attention to it: they do plug into shore power on Friday evenings/weekends. I guess they find. It’s easier to idle on weeknights rather than shutting them down in the evening and starting them back up in the morning… which I feel like could be an easy improvement to make.
(03-25-2023, 12:35 PM)CP42 Wrote: An update on this since I’ve started paying more attention to it: they do plug into shore power on Friday evenings/weekends. I guess they find. It’s easier to idle on weeknights rather than shutting them down in the evening and starting them back up in the morning… which I feel like could be an easy improvement to make.

Plugging in power cords is difficult! Personally, I usually eat dinner cold — much easier than plugging in the microwave!

OK, I’m sure there is more involved with plugging in a train, but still.
(03-25-2023, 03:05 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 12:35 PM)CP42 Wrote: An update on this since I’ve started paying more attention to it: they do plug into shore power on Friday evenings/weekends. I guess they find. It’s easier to idle on weeknights rather than shutting them down in the evening and starting them back up in the morning… which I feel like could be an easy improvement to make.

Plugging in power cords is difficult! Personally, I usually eat dinner cold — much easier than plugging in the microwave!

I am completely speculating here, but I don't think it's the "plugging in" that's hard, but the startup in the morning. The locos probably have to be warmed up for a long time in the morning, and if they are left idling the train crews don't have to get up as early in the morning to get things started.

But there's no excuse, they shouldn't be left idling.
(03-25-2023, 03:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 03:05 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Plugging in power cords is difficult! Personally, I usually eat dinner cold — much easier than plugging in the microwave!

I am completely speculating here, but I don't think it's the "plugging in" that's hard, but the startup in the morning. The locos probably have to be warmed up for a long time in the morning, and if they are left idling the train crews don't have to get up as early in the morning to get things started.

But there's no excuse, they shouldn't be left idling.

You’re probably right. But that being said, it’s still not a reason. In the present era, the proper way for this to work is that the yard system knows when the locomotive is required and automatically starts the warm-up process at the appropriate time. Any task that just involves flipping a few switches on a schedule should not require people. If there is a more involved checklist required, that can be done closer to the locomotive entering service.

Also, depending on what is meant by “warming up”, that can be done by electrical power supplied by the cable. Even road vehicles have this in cold climates in the form of block heaters.
(03-24-2023, 11:19 AM)SF22 Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 05:19 PM)LesPio Wrote: Items from today's Ontario Budget that mention "Kitchener"

Building Highways, Transit and Infrastructure Projects
We are building new highways, roads, schools, hospitals, long‐term care homes and transit.
From Uxbridge to Kitchener‐Waterloo, we are building and redeveloping hospitals, and from
Pickering to Ottawa to Atikokan to Windsor, we are building new schools.

Building the New Highway 7
The next phase of construction for the new Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph will provide
relief to the gridlocked Highway 401 and connect the fast‐growing urban centres of Kitchener,
Waterloo and Guelph. Design of the Frederick Street bridge replacement is well underway with
utility work targeted to begin in 2023.

Building GO Transit
Kitchener GO Rail Extension: Following its
contract award in May 2022, Metrolinx has
begun work on Guelph Central GO Station to
construct a second platform, a new storage track for maintenance vehicles and a passing track

Building Hospitals
As part of its plan to build a more connected and convenient health care system, the government is
implementing the most ambitious plan for hospital expansion in Ontario’s history, investing over
$48 billion over the next 10 years in hospital infrastructure, including over $32 billion in hospital
capital grants. This includes supporting more than 50 hospital projects that would add 3,000 new
beds over 10 years to increase access to reliable, quality care. Recent milestones include:
 Grand River Hospital and St. Mary’s General Hospital Joint Redevelopment Project:
The 2022 Budget announced the planning of the Grand River Hospital and St. Mary’s General
Hospital Joint Redevelopment Project to construct a new, joint acute care facility and expand
existing facilities in the Kitchener‐Waterloo region.

Implementation and construction of a multi-use trail to
connect residents from the Iron Horse Trail with the
future Transit hub in Kitchener and Waterloo.

I wonder if the MUT connection to the Iron Horse Trail is just regarding the spot where it needs to cross the train tracks. I think the rest of the connection (from the hub to Joseph St, and then Stewart St through to the IHT) is complete or under construction. I know that the tracks are outside of the city's/region's purview.

Glad to see progress continues on the GO expansion, even if it is Slow As Heck.

I do wonder where a new hospital facility will be built. Seems like it should be somewhere along the LRT line for accessibility reasons; I hope they find a good space that isn't on the outskirts of town. The empty lot on Northfield across from the Northfield Station might be alright, or even on Wes Graham Way directly across from the R&T stop.

The empty parking lot that Sunlife owns beside Grand River Hospital at King & Union would work well. As mentioned, a site on Wes Graham Way would work well too, possibly an integrated Medical School or Nursing campus would be great.

(07-12-2022, 07:56 PM)CP42 Wrote: Does this new trail at central station connect to the Iron Horse trail via Cherry Street?
[Image: g2f2VfN.jpg]

Is there still talk of a pedestrian bridge across King connecting the trail and the future transit hub?
The bridge was in the latest hub designs made public, at least.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »