Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
I noticed that The Record's article on 200 Victoria St S ( https://archive.ph/lgOSi ) included this tidbit.

Quote:Responding to concerns that tower heights proposed here and in other developments along Victoria Street are increasing further away from downtown, Dumart said there are about 10 taller buildings in approval or construction in the downtown.

Seeing as 200 Victoria St S is 42fl I'm pretty sure that's referencing some buildings we don't know about.

Here are the 6 I can think of so far:
  • Tek Tower (the only one under construction)
  • Station Park tower 5
  • 2x unnamed Van Mar projects (Ziggys and 10 Duke)
  • 2x unnamed In8 Projects (on Queen and Charles)
Maybe tower 3 or 4 at Station Park has been revised to be over 42fl? Also one could be counting the 44fl by Mill Station, but that wouldn't really make sense for the context of the quote (Mill St is much further from downtown than 200 Victoria St S). I suspect there's 3-5 towers over 42fl in DTK that we haven't found out about yet.

I was thinking that myself. I bet there are some in pre-consultation we don’t know about yet. I also count 7 in the pipeline with Mill St.

Possibly Vic and Park resubmission now that the ZBA was approved? Who knows!
It seems that London ontario is trying to compete with us for the tallest tower in west of the GTA. They have a tower on King street in london that will be 53 floors.
(05-01-2023, 07:47 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: It seems that London ontario is trying to compete with us for the tallest tower in west of the GTA. They have a tower on King street in london that will be 53 floors.

I think the final Station Park tower will remain higher in actual height, rather than floor count, due to the commercial and office sections of the building. It's 50 floors and 175 meters. The one in London is 50 floors as well, but appears much shorter.

London will regret building this, though. zedd architecture makes the worst SRM Architects building look good lmao. Just look at their portfolio: https://www.zeddarchitecture.com/our-work
Change out the white for blue and the yellow one at 91 King St in London could be a nice homage to the Ziggy's building... :-)
I don’t know the implications of this but I’m hoping it means she’s out lmao

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/another-kit...-1.6381538
(05-03-2023, 10:00 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I don’t know the implications of this but I’m hoping it means she’s out lmao

Best case scenario, she gets the NDP nomination and she loses the election.

(05-04-2023, 08:21 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(05-03-2023, 10:00 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I don’t know the implications of this but I’m hoping it means she’s out lmao

Best case scenario, she gets the NDP nomination and she loses the election.

Why is that best case?

I'd say best case, the NDP gets a clue and stops supporting these fake progressive candidates and instead selects someone we can get behind.
(05-04-2023, 08:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 08:21 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Best case scenario, she gets the NDP nomination and she loses the election.

Why is that best case?

I'd say best case, the NDP gets a clue and stops supporting these fake progressive candidates and instead selects someone we can get behind.

Then the city of kitchener is stuck with a councillor that has time and time again shown she is not interested in bettering the City. her clear goal is to do as little as possible while gaining as much power as possible.  This is a by-election that will not affect how Doug Ford runs this province. Unfortunately that ship sailed last year when the people of Ontario didn't show up to vote. Personally I hope we elect a green MPP to sit beside Mike Schreiner, but if we end up with a Conservative MPP for 2.5 years who cares. It might actually make Doug pay attention to the Region.  Giving us some much needed funding for major projects we have planned like our train station, as he would see it as a key strategic seat in the 2026 election.
(05-04-2023, 10:56 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 08:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Why is that best case?

Then the city of kitchener is stuck with a councillor that has time and time again shown she is not interested in bettering the City. her clear goal is to do as little as possible while gaining as much power as possible.  This is a by-election that will not affect how Doug Ford runs this province. Unfortunately that ship sailed last year when the people of Ontario didn't show up to vote. Personally I hope we elect a green MPP to sit beside Mike Schreiner, but if we end up with a Conservative MPP for 2.5 years who cares. It might actually make Doug pay attention to the Region.  Giving us some much needed funding for major projects we have planned like our train station, as he would see it as a key strategic seat in the 2026 election.

"Who cares"...I mean, some of the people who will be explicitly anti-represented by another conservative government representative would probably care.

But  I don't know that Chapman would vacate her council seat if she ran and lost.
(05-04-2023, 11:07 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: "Who cares"...I mean, some of the people who will be explicitly anti-represented by another conservative government representative would probably care.

But  I don't know that Chapman would vacate her council seat if she ran and lost.

It’s tough out there on a professor and part time councillor salary! The rents are high for some reason and you can’t just go quitting your job willy nilly!
local cambridge weirdo
(05-04-2023, 11:14 AM)bravado Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 11:07 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: "Who cares"...I mean, some of the people who will be explicitly anti-represented by another conservative government representative would probably care.

It’s tough out there on a professor and part time councillor salary! The rents are high for some reason and you can’t just go quitting your job willy nilly!

🔥
The usual process for this kind of candidacy is to withdraw from the current office for the duration of the official election campaign; if they lose, they resume their post, and if they win they resign. So Chapman would remain in some public office, either MPP or returning as councillor.

(05-04-2023, 05:23 PM)KevinL Wrote: The usual process for this kind of candidacy is to withdraw from the current office for the duration of the official election campaign; if they lose, they resume their post, and if they win they resign. So Chapman would remain in some public office, either MPP or returning as councillor.

Thanks for the information. I would have thought they would resign from municipal office then run for provincial or federal. This is disappointing as either way the city of kitchener is stuck with Chapman as a representative.
A cool article about growth/investment KW - it also mentions they are planning to convert the office at 22 Fredrick to residential

https://renx.ca/heavy-kitchener-waterloo...o-re-forum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »