Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(04-19-2021, 04:44 PM)ktmbtsmrt Wrote:
(04-19-2021, 08:16 AM)mastermind Wrote: The owner of the Pho Dau Bo building should buy it, along with the skinny lot on the other side (297?), then knock the Pho Dau Bo building down and put a big building up all the way from Charles to King.
I would be down for some kind of gallery so it's multiple small units with a central covered walkway - a modern take on something like that in Brussels (Royal Gallery) or Milan (Galleria Vittorio).

I personally don't like buildings that take large footprints like that, but I can see why it would be easier to redevelop a site like that

I know what you mean, the larger buildings can tend to lose their souls and often don't interact well with the street.  It can be done right though.

The Pho Dau Bo building is still perfectly good, so I wouldn't agree with razing it for something new. It's in a great location right across the street from the market. Give it some technical upgrades (insulation, solar, rainwater reclamation, better lighting on the stairs etc), a refreshing of the façade and it would still be perfectly useful. As for the rest of the block, the parking lot and empty lots could easily be redeveloped into some missing middle structures holding some retail/residential - precisely like in the image DK519 posted. Personally, I'd love to see the Market District (or whatever it's called) evolve into some sort of Kensington Market kind of area: a market, bakeries, restaurants, art galleries, music stores and venues etc. Something really vibrant with an interesting vibe you can feel as you walk around.

It's important to remember just how much of an environmental impact the demolition of an entire building and then construction of a new one costs in an era of drastic climate change. If a building already exists and it's perfectly useful, use it.
(04-19-2021, 05:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: The Pho Dau Bo building is still perfectly good, so I wouldn't agree with razing it for something new. It's in a great location right across the street from the market. Give it some technical upgrades (insulation, solar, rainwater reclamation, better lighting on the stairs etc), a refreshing of the façade and it would still be perfectly useful. As for the rest of the block, the parking lot and empty lots could easily be redeveloped into some missing middle structures holding some retail/residential - precisely like in the image DK519 posted. Personally, I'd love to see the Market District (or whatever it's called) evolve into some sort of Kensington Market kind of area: a market, bakeries, restaurants, art galleries, music stores and venues etc. Something really vibrant with an interesting vibe you can feel as you walk around.

It's important to remember just how much of an environmental impact the demolition of an entire building and then construction of a new one costs in an era of drastic climate change. If a building already exists and it's perfectly useful, use it.
I think those are strong ideas, and I like the idea of retrofitting it. It could use some accessibility improvements. I wonder if adding a floor or two would also help?

I think the Kensington Market vibes should be firstly be directed towards Market lane and Duke, and spill out over to the other side of King and Cedar. I feel the environment and street structure is more suited to it, like how Kensington isn't directly on Spadina, but is rather 'bound' by it, Dundas and College. Agreed with the general vibe as a 'vision' for the area though
Is 325 King St E the development that was proposed last year(?) or was that one on the small lot on the other side of the Pho Dau Bo building?
(04-19-2021, 08:37 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Is 325 King St E the development that was proposed last year(?) or was that one on the small lot on the other side of the Pho Dau Bo building?

The one last year is on the other side next to the pizza place. It still has a for-sale sign up as well.
(04-19-2021, 08:51 PM)DK519 Wrote:
(04-19-2021, 08:37 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Is 325 King St E the development that was proposed last year(?) or was that one on the small lot on the other side of the Pho Dau Bo building?

The one last year is on the other side next to the pizza place. It still has a for-sale sign up as well.

Thanks! There have been so many proposals for the King East area over the last few years, that I can't keep track of them all anymore.
I noticed 160 Strange St. and either 291 Park St. or 295 Park St. are both demolished. I can't find any information on Google or the Kitchener Website.

(04-21-2021, 11:22 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I noticed 160 Strange St. and either 291 Park St. or 295 Park St. are both demolished. I can't find any information on Google or the Kitchener Website.

160 Strange St has a building permit for the construction of a new single-family dwelling.
(04-21-2021, 12:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 11:22 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I noticed 160 Strange St. and either 291 Park St. or 295 Park St. are both demolished. I can't find any information on Google or the Kitchener Website.

160 Strange St has a building permit for the construction of a new single-family dwelling.
Interesting Thanks for finding the info.
Does anyone know anything about a 10-storey development on King E. between Dane and Borden?

Buddy of mine said there was a Zoom withy the city about it the other day and seems to think it was approved already.
I haven't heard anything and I don't see any building applications on the City of Kitchener website for those streets. Maybe someone else knows. I wouldn't be surprised if something goes up here - particularly in that old car sales lot - since they want to heavily redevelop around Borden Station.
There's an upcoming public meeting about the affordable housing units at 276 King Street East on that tiny lot beside the market. As I mentioned here it's probably best if we can get more people speaking in favour of approving new developments - especially if they are affordable rentals - so we don't have NIMBYs or pro-car people cancel them. Today is the last day to register if you're interested in speaking in the meeting to support or oppose it. Someone posted some information about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme..._heard_on/

Best avoid the replies in that thread unless you want to get annoyed by pro-car people complaining about parking in a building they'd probably scoff at living in...
Kitchener’s Lot42 event space is sold, A Better Tent City has to move

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-move.html

Perimeter Development Corp. acquires part of long-dormant Budd industrial site

https://www.therecord.com/business/2021/...-site.html
(04-26-2021, 09:59 AM)ac3r Wrote: I haven't heard anything and I don't see any building applications on the City of Kitchener website for those streets. Maybe someone else knows. I wouldn't be surprised if something goes up here - particularly in that old car sales lot - since they want to heavily redevelop around Borden Station.
I reached out to Vive directly and they replied with a few details. They've had one community meeting and apparently they're working through the site plan application process. Sounds like it will be a "single-loaded corridor" with all units facing King E.

If what my buddy said is true, it will be around 10 storeys. I asked to be added to their list for the next community meeting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »