Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schneiders
While I hope that this thread can be moved to the "Urban Developments" section in the future, for now the story is economic - and sad, sad, sad.  I can't think of anything in Kitchener's long history of industrial evolution that matches the emotional impact of Schneiders' looming closure.

This from today's Record:

First layoffs loom at Schneiders

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/483 ... chneiders/

Yes, that's a very sad thing indeed. I remember taking a Plant tour when I was in school. They fed us hot dogs during the presentation BEFORE the tour started - probably because you wouldn't want to eat them after the tour finished! Wink

I know someone who lives across the street from the plant and he tells me the Neighbourhood joke is they'll be building the "Wiener Lofts" in that location after Schneiders is closed.

Has there actually been any "real" announcement about what that land will be used for, yet?
I believe that a committee was formed last year after the news of the closure came out, but I have seen nothing about any plans, which is not surprising at this early stage. The site has some interesting elements, like the creek running underneath it that could be renaturalized, and the possibility of a link under the tracks to the new townhouse development off Mill St, or perhaps an extension of Borden Parkway along the creek. I hope that there are some older bits of the complex that can be saved in any redevelopment, although the site has been added to so many times that I don't know whether anything "original" still exists.

"Wiener Lofts" would certainly have a unique cachet! Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »