Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Catpoles in place almost completely along Charles now! All that are missing are a few in front of Cameron Heights. On Borden, catpoles are ALMOST there — maybe 5 more to go on the way up to Charles.

On the corner of Charles / Stirling, blocks have been delivered for the retaining wall here. It's about time, because I'm fairly sure this hill was dug up before most others, but is the last to receive a retaining wall.

I would hazard to guess Charles will be completely repaved (not counting Francis – Victoria / Benton – Queen) by mid November.

(10-16-2015, 10:48 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-16-2015, 07:32 PM)numberguy Wrote: I hope Grand Linq has stronger penalty clauses and contingencies in place.

Well, the train purchase was negotiated by the Region, well before Grandlinq was selected, so it's their need for strong protections.

But given how 'off the shelf' the Flexity Freedom (our unit) is, I have fewer worries
Did we not get in on Toronto's purchase to qualify for some kind of bulk discount? Are we not getting the same trains?

FLEXITY Freedom = 182 (Metrolinx) Eglinton Crosstown + 14 ion standard North-Amerocan spec LFLRV's
Roger that. Thanks for the clarification Canard.

Here are some photos from this morning.  Gauntlet Tracks at University of Waterloo:

R&T Park still as it has been for the past month or so:

Work at the Connestoga Mall station:

Work along Northfield, note the retaining wall on the North Side:

Saw someone with a quadcopter equipped with a camera at the Caroline and erb site last week. Perhaps new videos of progress soon?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(10-17-2015, 10:05 AM)Drake Wrote: Roger that. Thanks for the clarification Canard.

Here is a link to my posts outlining the differences:

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...21#pid2021

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...12#pid5212
Work continues at Benton/Charles.  Note the arrival of coral-green steel ties for embedded rack here.  The signage in the area says the intersection is re-opening in November sometime, so they'll really have to put the heat on to finish this off in the next few weeks. Note the restraining rail is now affixed to the interior of the curves.

Embedded track marches along Borden, almost at Courtland, now.  I wonder when the intersection of Borden/Courtland will close, to permit the crossing to be installed.  Rebar mats are now in place on the far side, so I wouldn't think it would be long now before they'll want to get the tracks in here.  The folks who live on this section who's driveways are affected will surely want to see this get completed as fast as possible, as they'll lose access to them for the duration of this work (and probably have lost it now, due to the rebar mats).

Article from the record: Kitchener considers offering free parking during LRT construction

Certainly seems like a very small gesture that could have a very positive impact. I hope they follow through and even make all lots free entirely (not just after 5pm) until construction is finished.
(10-18-2015, 09:00 PM)Canard Wrote: Article from the record:  Kitchener considers offering free parking during LRT construction

Certainly seems like a very small gesture that could have a very positive impact.  I hope they follow through and even make all lots free entirely (not just after 5pm) until construction is finished.

Making all those lots free at all times would be terrible. It would result in every surface lot being full of 9-5 office employees who don't want to pay the $90/month a parking pass in a garage costs, completely blocking out the customers that are supposed to be in those lots.

I can agree with the evenings and weekends though. Parking demand isn't high enough at those times, and free parking would match supply with demand. It also doesn't make sense that the more desirable on-street spaces are free when lots aren't.
To be clear, the proposed change is to start free weekday parking one hour earlier at 5pm instead of 6pm, and to make Saturday free entirely.

I like it for the consistency on the weekend.
Given that Kitchener is trying to get downtown to be about more than 9-5 offices, free parking on evenings and weekends makes a lot of sense while the demand is so imbalanced. They should extend that to the parking garages.

(10-18-2015, 11:51 PM)Markster Wrote: To be clear, the proposed change is to start free weekday parking one hour earlier at 5pm instead of 6pm, and to make Saturday free entirely.

I like it for the consistency on the weekend.

It is ridiculous to pay $12.75 on Saturday's when demand just isn't there. This shouldn't be a temporary change while construction is going on, should be permanent until demand is back in place.
An interesting note: when you look at the Gauntlet at R&T stop, you can see the one side of the track affixed on the outside of one rail, and the other on the inside of the adjacent rail. This, of course, allows for the train to shift safely. Looking at the R&T stop, the rail that shifts in between the normal rails has a gap in it, to allow for standard passage by heavy freight without need for an actual operational Gauntlet switch.

However, when looking at the UW stop, the Gauntlet portion that shifts in between the standard gauge does not have a gap for pass-through. Were heavy rail to use it, it would seem that it would break the rail due to a missing gap. Am I seeing this wrong?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »