Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-29-2018, 07:20 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(10-29-2018, 06:37 PM)Square Wrote: We got some evening train movements!  Still no sign of all the vehicles that should have the specialized equipment here(not counting 511)  Sad

The more you try to debug at once the harder it is. As disheartening as it feels to us, the smart thing is for them to debug the trackside communications systems and software with just 511's equipment, then roll out the rest when there's no more bugs to be found with it.

This... You really don't want 6 trains disabled by the equipment all at the same time.

Thank you for the replies. Just the longer it takes, I get sad that the December start is in jeopardy. They will still have to equip 5 more vehicles here (505-509)
More night testing footage. So shiny!

(10-30-2018, 12:09 AM)KevinT Wrote: More night testing footage.  So shiny!

I was wondering how long it would take before they did their night training. This new step forward opens a whole lot of time for them to do testing Smile

Edit: maybe too shiny. Perhaps we should have gone with a matte finish instead lest we blind those with astigmatism (like myself) with all that shiny.
Watching it head north from Waterloo Town Square, it seems that the timing for the gates to go up is pretty good there. It seemed they were popping up pretty much immediately after the LRV passed by. It wasn't clear to me how long they were down prior to that point, though.
Love those night time vids!!

(10-30-2018, 12:09 AM)KevinT Wrote: More night testing footage.  So shiny!

At 0:49 et seq - I think that might have been a church bell rather than the glockenspiel.
(10-30-2018, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote: At 0:49 et seq - I think that might have been a church bell rather than the glockenspiel.

Not sure if the glockenspiel and bells were linked or independent (some clock towers play a melody before chiming the time or vice versa), but there was both.

I'm just impressed that it was quiet enough for me to _hear_ the bells! The 507 Saturday Testing video I got on this corner back in May was much louder, I had actually turned the audio from my phone down in that video to make it less annoying, whereas this time I used the audio as-is.
(10-30-2018, 10:35 AM)KevinT Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote: At 0:49 et seq - I think that might have been a church bell rather than the glockenspiel.

Not sure if the glockenspiel and bells were linked or independent (some clock towers play a melody before chiming the time or vice versa), but there was both.

I'm just impressed that it was quiet enough for me to _hear_ the bells!  The 507 Saturday Testing video I got on this corner back in May was much louder, I had actually turned the audio from my phone down in that video to make it less annoying, whereas this time I used the audio as-is.

Off topic, but Kitchener was once known for its church bells, many, many years ago.  I think only one or two of the Downtown churches still ring them regularly (St Peters and St Marys, I think).
(10-30-2018, 10:40 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Off topic, but Kitchener was once known for its church bells, many, many years ago.  I think only one or two of the Downtown churches still ring them regularly (St Peters and St Marys, I think).

A fellow on reddit just posted "FYI That's St John the Evangelist Church bells you're hearing at the 1 minute mark. Not glockenspiel. (It's the church I work at, so I know those bells all too well)." My recollection remains that I heard multiple notes in a musical fashion like a glockenspiel, followed by a monotone bell.
I'll point out (since I've had to on twitter several times now) that the audio thing works like this:

When there's lots of ambient city noise, the LRV's sound quiet.
When there is no other noise at all, and the LRV is the only thing making any noise... they sound loud.

The reason is that your phone (or any camera) will automatically adjust the recording volume based on input. If the input is small, it scales it up, so it sounds loud. Your brain also automatically does this, to some extent.
As someone that hasn't been fortunate enough to see one in person yet (seriously, what the heck?!?), do they seem loud in person?

(10-30-2018, 01:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: As someone that hasn't been fortunate enough to see one in person yet (seriously, what the heck?!?), do they seem loud in person?

The few times I have, they seem far quieter than a bus or truck, maybe the same as a quiet sedan.
(10-30-2018, 01:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 01:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: As someone that hasn't been fortunate enough to see one in person yet (seriously, what the heck?!?), do they seem loud in person?

The few times I have, they seem far quieter than a bus or truck, maybe the same as a quiet sedan.

Totally depends on how lubricated the tracks are! the LRV itself is very very quiet, but the tracks sometimes are not.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »