Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
If it's still there, here's where it is exactly:  https://goo.gl/maps/EUJDqAHacj32

Good luck, and if you go, let us know if you find it! Smile

(and a friendly reminder, be safe - best to stick to the side of the road here and off rail property, since it is an active freight yard with lots of movements.)

(02-22-2017, 04:51 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: @ Coke6pk

That was exactly my point. That's why I didn't understand the condescension in the first reply to my initial post about writing Loblaws and no longer patronising their stores.

I have read a number of posts here over the years that I did not agree with but I did not feel it proper to respond with smugness or denigration. I have every right not to visit a business if I feel their values or goals are in sufficient contrast to my own. I don't understand why a couple of people here find my position so ridiculous as to warrant their non-constructive criticism.

If this was aimed my way, I owe you an apology for my attempted humor and making light of a situation I don't clearly understand. 

To me, it seems comparable to writing a letter to Company-x because they made an insurance claim for a loss.  But...hey, I use the same Insurance Firm,and you better believe I pay premiums too! (well, maybe a small fraction of what Company-x has paid over the years but, small details).  Doesn't matter, I'm still going to write my letter and boycott Company-x since I don't agree with how my Insurance Firm settled their claim. 

So I apologize, didn't mean to offend or distract from the main topic.

Can't wait for the train to get here!!
@ embe

Apology accepted.

Bring on them trains!!!
The LRV is in the CP yard bordered by Block Line, Courtland and Hayward! Too dark for a photo, but it's on the track closest to Courtland. Once the sun comes up, it should be easily visible!
Are train movements along the GEXR Waterloo spur line restricted because of construction at the moment that would limit the delivery to the OMSF to the over-night period? I always see those stop and derail clamps along the rails during the day.

The two different fixture types through uptown:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(02-23-2017, 08:52 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Are train movements along the GEXR Waterloo spur line restricted because of construction at the moment that would limit the delivery to the OMSF to the over-night period? I always see those stop and derail clamps along the rails during the day.

Having the delivery restricted is ironic.

As for the fixtures, does anyone know why they've been placed in the sidewalk instead of in the utility zone next to the road?  It is unfortunate they have such enormous bases.
(02-23-2017, 09:01 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 08:52 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Are train movements along the GEXR Waterloo spur line restricted because of construction at the moment that would limit the delivery to the OMSF to the over-night period? I always see those stop and derail clamps along the rails during the day.

Having the delivery restricted is ironic.

As for the fixtures, does anyone know why they've been placed in the sidewalk instead of in the utility zone next to the road?  It is unfortunate they have such enormous bases.

I think they always put the OCS poles as far from general traffic as possible. Everywhere I’ve looked they are never on the road lane side of the tracks. This would help keep them away from being affected by wayward drivers, although I can’t say for sure that this is the reason for the placement.

(02-23-2017, 10:12 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 09:01 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Having the delivery restricted is ironic.

I think they always put the OCS poles as far from general traffic as possible. Everywhere I’ve looked they are never on the road lane side of the tracks. This would help keep them away from being affected by wayward drivers, although I can’t say for sure that this is the reason for the placement.

I don't mean the OCS poles, they're actually relatively close to the road.  I meant the street light poles in the picture, and also the ones outside the Bauer building, they seem to be unnecessarily in the way.
(02-23-2017, 09:01 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Having the delivery restricted is ironic.

Grandlinq could coordinate with GEXR for a daytime delivery if they wanted to. it's likely they'll do that once the rest of the vehicles start rolling in.
It just rolled through the Queen intersection near the IHT (Huron spur?).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Colleagues just posted a photo of it going over the rail bridge at the north end of Victoria Park, so it's probably to the next transfer point by now.
Frederick/Benton Update: Forms are coming off the platform, and this morning when I drove by they were unloading a new staircase for the overpass bridge.
(02-23-2017, 01:58 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Colleagues just posted a photo of it going over the rail bridge at the north end of Victoria Park, so it's probably to the next transfer point by now.

Crossing Waterloo St. If it doesn't get taken straight up to the yard, presumably it will be hanging out beside Lancaster for the day.

(02-23-2017, 10:28 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 10:12 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think they always put the OCS poles as far from general traffic as possible. Everywhere I’ve looked they are never on the road lane side of the tracks. This would help keep them away from being affected by wayward drivers, although I can’t say for sure that this is the reason for the placement.

I don't mean the OCS poles, they're actually relatively close to the road.  I meant the street light poles in the picture, and also the ones outside the Bauer building, they seem to be unnecessarily in the way.

Sorry, I didn’t understand. Yes, I agree the street light poles would be better where they don’t take up sidewalk space, whenever possible.

On the plus side, at least they are using the OCS poles where possible — there is also lots of traffic signalling equipment supported on them. I agree the colour mismatch isn’t ideal but I think it’s better than having yet more poles. I was worried the ION people wouldn’t coordinate with the other people who need stuff supported by poles. I thought I heard about this being a problem in Toronto sometimes.
why isn't this thread exploding right now with updates about the imminent arrival of the lrv to the maintenance facility?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »