Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Ever wondered about those blue lights at the top corners of the ION LRVs?  Wonder no more:

Marshall's Musings: The story of Toronto’s streetcar “bull’s eyes”

With thanks to Chris Drew (at_chrisjamesdrew on Twitter) for the tweet/reblog that brought this article to my attention.

(03-29-2019, 01:39 PM)KevinT Wrote: Ever wondered about those blue lights at the top corners of the ION LRVs?  Wonder no more:

With thanks to Chris Drew (at_chrisjamesdrew on Twitter) for the tweet/reblog that brought this article to my attention.

That's pretty cool. I always liked the blue lights on the TTC buses, and something that I missed from my time in Toronto and was happy to see it come to our LRT. Now we know the rest of the story!
(03-29-2019, 02:23 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: The French Ambassador was in the Region today touring the ION OMSF

If anyone's asking 'why France', Keolis (the operating branch of GrandLinq) is part owned by the French national railway.
Seems a bit random to me.

(03-29-2019, 03:16 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 03:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Why?

Beats me. But launch is imminent so I'd expect more of these types of visits.

(03-29-2019, 03:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems a bit random to me.

It's not random at all. France has an invested interest in a lot of the transportation systems they influence or operate around the world. It's their industry, and Keolis is a French company - they are the ones that will operate our LRT for a few decades at least. Yes, France will operate ION.
Ahhh, the penny drops! Thanks.
(03-29-2019, 01:39 PM)KevinT Wrote: Ever wondered about those blue lights at the top corners of the ION LRVs?  Wonder no more:

Very interesting!

To be honest, I had considered the blue lights on the new streetcars unnecessary — all the new streetcars are accessible, so there is no longer a need to mark them off as such. Similarly, once all buses are accessible, new buses could omit the feature.

But I hadn’t considered them as a visibility marker. If they make it easier for people to see transit approaching I can see that as being valuable. Although arguably they should be off when the vehicle is out of service.
I like it when little harmless quirks like those lights are retained.
(03-29-2019, 03:47 PM)urbd Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 03:16 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Beats me. But launch is imminent so I'd expect more of these types of visits.

(03-29-2019, 03:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems a bit random to me.

It's not random at all. France has an invested interest in a lot of the transportation systems they influence or operate around the world. It's their industry, and Keolis is a French company - they are the ones that will operate our LRT for a few decades at least. Yes, France will operate ION.

Oui! C'est poutine! Viva la France! Moi français pas très bien!
(03-29-2019, 08:33 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 03:47 PM)urbd Wrote: It's not random at all. France has an invested interest in a lot of the transportation systems they influence or operate around the world. It's their industry, and Keolis is a French company - they are the ones that will operate our LRT for a few decades at least. Yes, France will operate ION.

Oui! C'est poutine! Viva la France! Moi français pas très bien!

Poutine is not French, it's Québecois! LRT is not Québecois, it's French!

(03-29-2019, 10:38 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 08:33 PM)jeffster Wrote: Oui! C'est poutine! Viva la France! Moi français pas très bien!

Poutine is not French, it's Québecois! LRT is not Québecois, it's French!

但电子产品是在中国制造的。
(03-30-2019, 09:30 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 10:38 PM)plam Wrote: Poutine is not French, it's Québecois! LRT is not Québecois, it's French!

但电子产品是在中国制造的。

Fair enough. I'll have to order a poutine here in Mont-Joli.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »