Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
Trains before Lanes

https://www.therecord.com/opinion/2021/1...hange.html

As an unfortunate homeowner down the Lancaster end of Wellington St...I have to hope they are once again bluffing and it is just election posturing.
Highway 7 left off list of provincial priorities ruffles feathers at local chamber of commerce

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/local-news...ce-5091309
I mean, this isn't a surprise...why would they fast track highway 7, it's a relatively uncontroversial project with little opposition, there is no need to try and get too much money invested in it before an election in order to prevent it from being cancelled.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that's what's happening...

God our province is fucked.
(02-24-2022, 01:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: God our province is fucked.
Yup.
(02-24-2022, 01:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean, this isn't a surprise...why would they fast track highway 7, it's a relatively uncontroversial project with little opposition, there is no need to try and get too much money invested in it before an election in order to prevent it from being cancelled.

Can you expand a bit? About the middle paragraph, I mean — I think you’re saying this slow-walking is a political calculation but I’m not clear on what the overall scam is.

I don’t think the last paragraph in exactly those terms, but unfortunately you’re probably right. We’re still massively overinvesting in projects which will ultimately make things worse while underinvesting in what we really need.
(02-24-2022, 02:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 01:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean, this isn't a surprise...why would they fast track highway 7, it's a relatively uncontroversial project with little opposition, there is no need to try and get too much money invested in it before an election in order to prevent it from being cancelled.

Can you expand a bit? About the middle paragraph, I mean — I think you’re saying this slow-walking is a political calculation but I’m not clear on what the overall scam is.

I don’t think the last paragraph in exactly those terms, but unfortunately you’re probably right. We’re still massively overinvesting in projects which will ultimately make things worse while underinvesting in what we really need.

My main thesis was that the Liberals (or NDP for that matter) have zero interest in cancelling highway 7. Even if the OPC loses the next election highway 7 will eventually proceed (regardless of whether that is a good or bad thing).  But the other more controversial highways could possibly be cancelled, so they are trying to move them as far along as possible to make cancelling them much more expensive.

Now, I didn't explain exactly why it's happening, but basically I'm suggesting that the OPC is working for exactly ONE group of people in Ontario, and that is sprawl oriented realestate developers. Ford doesn't care one iota about the climate or congestion or any person in Ontario, he cares if Mattamy homes gets to build in the greenbelt because they're the ones who are funding his career.

Obviously that's an oversimplification, but fundamentally, that's what I believe is happening here.

(02-24-2022, 04:45 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Now, I didn't explain exactly why it's happening, but basically I'm suggesting that the OPC is working for exactly ONE group of people in Ontario, and that is sprawl oriented realestate developers. Ford doesn't care one iota about the climate or congestion or any person in Ontario, he cares if Mattamy homes gets to build in the greenbelt because they're the ones who are funding his career.

OK, I think I understand better what you’re saying. You’re probably right.

I think politically-driven highway construction timelines are a longstanding feature in Ontario politics. I remember my parents commenting on highway improvement projects (mostly straightening) on the roads leading to our cottage when I was a kid. Every election they would work on a few more kilometres.
D'Amato has an opinion piece about Hwy 7, where she calls it "essential for the economy" but then says we should build affordable housing and run buses instead. I'm left...a little confused but maybe also in agreement?
That's a strange article for D'Amato...she's just all over the place these days.

FWIW...I agree we should have transit (like, should have had transit 10 years ago), and I agree that it's pure BS spewing out of DoFo's lackeys about Highway 7.

I think the one thing she doesn't bother to elucidate that really SHOULD be made clear.

This "economic necessity" is not about the ROAD, it's about TRANSPORTATION. It is the fault of our leadership, business interests, and media which means that we are by and large unable to differentiate those things, but they are in fact, different.
I interpreted "essential" as hyperbole. Obviously the economy isn't going to collapse without the new highway.

Her argument then is basically that given the choice between devoting resources to pretending the highway is going to get built or making the best of a world in which it isn't, we should do the latter.
I keep hoping that someone will go splits on a couple DMU trainsets and work with Metrolinx to run a service between Kitchener and Guelph, slotted in between the GO train service. Put a passing track around Breslau, perhaps near the bridge or where the Breslau GO station is planned, and in time figure out a way to double track the whole thing. If things go really well, stretch the service west to Stratford, and east towards Georgetown, but stop just before that tricky piece of track that CN still owns. But no one is likely to put me in charge so I am stuck with dreaming.
(03-10-2022, 09:36 PM)nms Wrote: I keep hoping that someone will go splits on a couple DMU trainsets and work with Metrolinx to run a service between Kitchener and Guelph, slotted in between the GO train service.  Put a passing track around Breslau, perhaps near the bridge or where the Breslau GO station is planned, and in time figure out a way to double track the whole thing.  If things go really well, stretch the service west to Stratford, and east towards Georgetown, but stop just before that tricky piece of track that CN still owns.  But no one is likely to put me in charge so I am stuck with dreaming.

It's a decent plan. I'd add a branch from Guelph to Hespeler, put a stop there and another by the Pinebush stop on Ion phase 2.

Or, run it from Guelph down through Campbellville/Waterdown to Hamilton.
(03-14-2022, 08:36 AM)jamincan Wrote: Or, run it from Guelph down through Campbellville/Waterdown to Hamilton.

Yes please. The lack of GKW to Hamilton link by any of GO modes continues to baffle me. Unless I'm missing something on demand, I can't see why people wouldn't have a potential benefit to commute between those hubs via transit. Especially with airports at both ends.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »