Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regional Official Plan
(04-29-2022, 09:36 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 08:43 AM)jamincan Wrote: I think part of the problem with the 4-6 story range is accessibility requirements for elevators. Once developers are installing elevators, they might as well build even higher.

Ding Ding Ding. This is the big this answer to why we don't have 3-4 story walkups in new developments like we do in the older neighbourhoods. The way developers get around this now is to build stacked townhouses, which are more complex to build (Increased cost = more expensive units)  and I rarely see them as rental units. My neighbourhood is from the 40's, it is full of single detached homes but also has a decent amount of 3-4 storey walkups or triplexes mixed in. As soon as elevator is required it does not make economic sense to build a 3-6 story building. I think accessibility is an important issues, but sweeping requirements for every new build to be accessible has increased cost and deterred builders from building what some consider a more human scaled building. Looking at google streetview of Vincennes, I would hazard a guess that maybe 25% of those buildings have an elevator? I wish we could build dense neighbourhoods like paris, but that built form was probably built in the 1700/1800's, I think we should look more to Copenhagen's new suburbs for inspiration. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vestam...6005?hl=en

If the region was truly forward think we would be planning a new phase of the LRT into Bridgeport or Breslau with a master planned dense development at the end of the line. People can't complain about 10 storey building if the whole neighbourhood has been planned with 10 storey buildings. 

The Copenhagen suburb you've linked has nice buildings, pretty good cycling infra, but the rest of the built environment still feels a little... depressing to me. Maybe it just needs time to grow some greenery, but most of it already looks paved over.

And completely contrary to the points of density being made here, does anyone know what this place across the train tracks is? Cottages, campground, eco living? Looks idyllic to me:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.6233411,...6656?hl=en

(04-29-2022, 12:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Contrary to popular opinion, European cities (at least the ones I've been to) do have towers, 10-16 stories is totally common. Yes, there is also a lot of midrise, but there aren't zero towers.

Also, it isn't just about elevators...I've been in a half dozen (4-6 stories) buildings in the past month, most of them have elevators. Yes, there are also lots of 3 story walkups, but it is totally feasible to put elevators in smaller buildings (we do this in Canada as well).

FWIW...there are ways to make elevators more economical, for example, some buildings I've seen are connected by walkways to a central staircase with a single elevator bank shared between buildings.

There's also the tiny-Parisian-elevator (1-2 person capacity) thing that I've never seen here. Guessing it's illegal.
(04-29-2022, 08:00 PM)plam Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 12:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Contrary to popular opinion, European cities (at least the ones I've been to) do have towers, 10-16 stories is totally common. Yes, there is also a lot of midrise, but there aren't zero towers.

Also, it isn't just about elevators...I've been in a half dozen (4-6 stories) buildings in the past month, most of them have elevators. Yes, there are also lots of 3 story walkups, but it is totally feasible to put elevators in smaller buildings (we do this in Canada as well).

FWIW...there are ways to make elevators more economical, for example, some buildings I've seen are connected by walkways to a central staircase with a single elevator bank shared between buildings.

There's also the tiny-Parisian-elevator (1-2 person capacity) thing that I've never seen here. Guessing it's illegal.

I have seen similar in Canada, but they're definitely non-standard.

FWIW the elevators they have here are usually quite small (not 1-2 person) but are maybe half the width of a NA elevator...I am curious how they are going to move our furniture in one of those elevators.
(04-30-2022, 12:50 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am curious how they are going to move our furniture in one of those elevators.

Might be done with a hoist like these through the windows.
Indeed, many of the moves in Amsterdam, at least are done through the windows.
The province is overriding the Region, permitting development in a number of areas. Seems everything within the countryside line (which is being maintained) is fair game. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...egion.html
(04-12-2023, 06:13 PM)KevinL Wrote: The province is overriding the Region, permitting development in a number of areas. Seems everything within the countryside line (which is being maintained) is fair game. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...egion.html

I can't see how this means much. The land has to be service with utilities first before any construction can begin, and no doubt the municipalities will have priorities as to what gets serviced first. Indeed, I bet that such priorities for what greenfield to open up first are going to be no different that what they before this move by the Minister.

If there is any silver lining to this garbage, the city can't make more unprofitable sprawl as easily as they used to without easy access to development fees.
local cambridge weirdo
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »