Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
[Image: Jb6nip0.jpg]

No picture, but today they are building the temp crane that will take down the existing tower crane.
[Image: 7hHkQfe.jpg]
Seems like other than Drewlo there will soon be almost zero cranes downtown. The next wave of projects really needs to get started!
The next wave will be going much higher !! Lets hope for higher standards too...
If the coming economic crunch doesn't put the kibosh on things.

Re this project, I think they missed an opportunity by not including a pedestrian arcade from King St to the courtyard facing Duke. Would have been nice.
(06-16-2022, 11:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: If the coming economic crunch doesn't put the kibosh on things.

Re this project, I think they missed an opportunity by not including a pedestrian arcade from King St to the courtyard facing Duke.  Would have been nice.

Am also wondering how this will play into all the current proposals in the pipeline…

(06-16-2022, 11:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: If the coming economic crunch doesn't put the kibosh on things.

Re this project, I think they missed an opportunity by not including a pedestrian arcade from King St to the courtyard facing Duke.  Would have been nice.

Why would you need a pedestrian arcade when Young St. is 50 feet away, running parallel to this proposed arcade? What would be the draw at Duke Street to attract all these hordes of pedestrians to this arcade?
At my architecture firm we're predicting this upcoming economic crash may stall a lot of projects and slow down new proposals for years all across the country. So many economists and investors are predicting we're about to head into one of the worst economic crashes in recent history with the stock markets in particular falling into an abyss. With inflation and rising interest rates as well, that's going to impact individuals to a heavy degree and make the ability to purchase homes or invest in them a lot more challenging. I'd be curious to see if the real estate market also doesn't fall apart, which would throw a wrench into the projects proposed in Waterloo Region.
(06-16-2022, 12:19 PM)CedarHillAlum Wrote:

Why would you need a pedestrian arcade when Young St. is 50 feet away, running parallel to this proposed arcade? What would be the draw at Duke Street to attract all these hordes of pedestrians to this arcade?

Yeah Duke Street is dead. There's nothing there to draw people there anymore. The whole "food block" failed and the only thing left is some cheap burger place and a sushi place.
(06-16-2022, 11:33 AM)CP42 Wrote:

Am also wondering how this will play into all the current proposals in the pipeline…

In my perfect world, the economic crunch gives incentives to cheaper medium density projects and disincentivizes costly high-density projects. But then again, medium density is where NIMBYs and councillors have the most power to interfere.
local cambridge weirdo
(06-16-2022, 12:19 PM)CedarHillAlum Wrote:

The sidewalk on Young St. is narrow and stuck between the building and the street. Having a mid-block connection is rarely if ever a bad thing. You could even imagine it lined with shops on both sides. Although good luck getting that started here. Sometimes I feel like retail has to be visible from motor vehicles in order to succeed.
I think it's time for another photo as this project is wrapping up. In spite of the wide tower, I think it's a nice addition to downtown -- I particularly like the street wall on King St (not shown in this photo).

It's a good addition but I feel underwhelmed given the importance of this block
It's a little busy imo, but overall decent.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »