Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Tesla discloses lobbying effort for new factory in Canada

https://electrek.co/2022/08/08/tesla-dis...ry-canada/

So somewhere Ontario?

Excellent news, if it happens. The change to the new U.S. rules for electric vehicle subsidies should be good for Ontario's auto sector.
(08-10-2022, 07:37 PM)LesPio Wrote: Tesla discloses lobbying effort for new factory in Canada

So somewhere Ontario?

Are those actually good jobs though? In the US their pay scale goes all the way down to $10. UAW/CAW jobs they are not.
(08-10-2022, 10:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 07:37 PM)LesPio Wrote: Tesla discloses lobbying effort for new factory in Canada

So somewhere Ontario?

Are those actually good jobs though? In the US their pay scale goes all the way down to $10. UAW/CAW jobs they are not.

My understanding is basically all employees also receive equity compensation, which in a public company is largely equivalent to cash.

It's not like we currently have UAW factories in the region. If built here I suspect the total comp would be similar to Toyota just out of necessity, which isn't terrible for factory labour.
(08-11-2022, 12:46 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 10:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Are those actually good jobs though? In the US their pay scale goes all the way down to $10. UAW/CAW jobs they are not.

My understanding is basically all employees also receive equity compensation, which in a public company is largely equivalent to cash.

It's not like we currently have UAW factories in the region. If built here I suspect the total comp would be similar to Toyota just out of necessity, which isn't terrible for factory labour.

I hear Tesla is... not great... for health and safety of workers. At least if their total comp is good, that's helpful.
(08-09-2022, 07:43 AM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 08:43 PM)Lens Wrote: Any info on this render for College and Weber?

[Image: College-st-project-the-aerial-view.jpg]

The design was done just as a density visualization to aid the sale of the property. An offer was accepted a few weeks ago, but the buyer will likely bring in their own design team and rework it. I would imagine the height/density is close to what will be proposed

Does the zoning allow for something like that?
(08-11-2022, 07:57 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 07:43 AM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote: The design was done just as a density visualization to aid the sale of the property. An offer was accepted a few weeks ago, but the buyer will likely bring in their own design team and rework it. I would imagine the height/density is close to what will be proposed

Does the zoning allow for something like that?

It is zoned D-4 https://app2.kitchener.ca/appdocs/Zoneby...0(D-4).pdf
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/development-...bylaw.aspx

8/20/22 Update of the Club Abstract site (RIP)

It's a pretty big space!

(08-22-2022, 11:15 AM)Votemac Wrote: 8/20/22 Update of the Club Abstract site (RIP)

It's a pretty big space!

Developer = HIP aka its a 15-23 storey precast rectangle
Other cities are currently seeing a large influx of proposals right now due to the developers trying to get the proposal in before the Sept 18 inclusionary zoning change for affordable housing. I’m a bit surprised Kitchener hasn’t been getting any recently
The new build at Weber and Louisa has reached the third floor. I still find the 'lego' build fascinating. I keep missing the concrete pour though, I think it would be neat to see them fill the walls.

Engage Kitchener: Belmont Village Urban Corridor Study

"We are doing a study on the Belmont Village Urban Corridor to review existing planning policies and guidelines. The study will identify what we might need to better align with the vision for Belmont Avenue West and its role as an "urban corridor" within the city. If necessary, we might make changes to our zoning by-laws and urban design guidelines."
DTK Ziggys (417 King Street West), sold to VanMar Developments for $17,500,000

^ doesn’t get anymore downtown than that. Let’s go for 50 lol
Fret not! :')
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »