Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
22 Weber Street West | 15 fl | Proposed
Personally think this one might have gone differently were it not 2 months out from an election. Will probably get through the OLT anyways.

I do think as far as efforts to be less easy to criticize go, this developer probably could have done a bit more to give the councillors a reason to see a middle ground (though what that would be for "heritage" I don't know). I don't think there is a problem with 19 floors on our largest road in DTK but I am always left wondering if something a bit less could have passed while still being a viable business case for the developer.

(08-24-2022, 12:00 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Let's just hope the encampments spill into these neighborhoods as more of us get renovicted/displaced/gentrified.

They did (may still be). I remember one guy in the news who lived there. People would harass him and someone tried to poison his dog if I recall.
(08-24-2022, 12:31 PM)cherrypark Wrote: I don't think there is a problem with 19 floors on our largest road in DTK but I am always left wondering if something a bit less could have passed while still being a viable business case for the developer.

I'm totally fine with 19 floors as well. Hell I'd welcome 59 floors or 69 (heh) floors downtown on Weber, though maybe not exactly here. But this makes me wonder if they'll be opposing the little project nearby on Young Street: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...#pid100757
BANANAs
(08-24-2022, 10:22 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Do developers have to wait for council to reject a proposal before taking it to the OLT? I feel like council should have to make a yes or no decision on a proposal within a reasonable timeframe. It was pretty obvious that council was going to continue to allow the NIMBY's of this city to dictate the urban fabric of DTK.

(08-24-2022, 02:40 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 12:31 PM)cherrypark Wrote: I don't think there is a problem with 19 floors on our largest road in DTK but I am always left wondering if something a bit less could have passed while still being a viable business case for the developer.

I'm totally fine with 19 floors as well. Hell I'd welcome 59 floors or 69 (heh) floors downtown on Weber, though maybe not exactly here. But this makes me wonder if they'll be opposing the little project nearby on Young Street: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...#pid100757

I wonder where things are at with that proposal?  I don't recall hearing any community comment on it (yet?).
(08-24-2022, 02:07 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 12:00 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Let's just hope the encampments spill into these neighborhoods as more of us get renovicted/displaced/gentrified.

They did (may still be). I remember one guy in the news who lived there. People would harass him and someone tried to poison his dog if I recall.

Truly disgusting. Did the police investigate that with as much vigour as the tire-flattening we had recently?
(08-24-2022, 04:45 PM)neonjoe Wrote: BANANAs

True.

I wish The Record wasn't absolute rubbish these days. I used to occasionally write for them about topics like this, so it would be nice to write a long form article about development but they took a somewhat anti-progress slant (or at least some of their regular contributors have). The public needs to hear voices like ours that speak in favour of progress. As a region developing so fast, a lot of people just aren't used to it yet and would benefit from better understanding as to how we need to direct the evolution of Waterloo Region. We're a big place now (9th largest metro area in Canada I think?). We're not a small city/region anymore and are now at a crossroads as to how we evolve. Making mistakes like this and Victoria and Park should make us feel embarrassed and ashamed. Instead we've got idiotic council members and small groups of NIMBYs that handicap our potential for their own selfish reasons.

I am really trying to understand what the joke here is. Is it because homosexuality is bad? That democrats are gay? Because it sure reads homophobic to me.
(08-25-2022, 01:50 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 10:09 AM)ac3r Wrote:

I am really trying to understand what the joke here is. Is it because homosexuality is bad? That democrats are gay? Because it sure reads homophobic to me.

It is homophobic
Guys, things can't be patrolled 24/7, to expect it to be would be unrealistic. Yes, it was a bad post. It's been deleted. I've talked to the user. Sorry I didn't deal with it the second it happened.
Omg ... Spokes, don't worry...this is a volunteer site... I know what it is to volunteer..your doing a great job... all good.
Apologies, my bad. Be assured it isn't a homophobic statement. The page - dank.lloyd.wright - is an incredibly liberal and diversive account with articles published in highly esteemed academic journals such as e-flux and the admin has given talks at events such as the London Festival of Architecture organized by the architectural trade union UVW-SAW. It is an account dedicated to advancing inclusion and architectural/urban progress through humour - though often crude, at times, as you can see.

It was in bad taste to post it here as I can understand people misinterpreting it as being homophobic although it is not intended to be. It is merely satire based on the faux tattoo and hypocrisy of left wing governments contributing to NIMBYism. The individual in the actual photograph had no problem with the photograph being memed and did not personally interpret it as being a homophobic statement.

(Spokes has also recieved this message to hopefully clear it up.)
(08-25-2022, 06:46 PM)Spokes Wrote: Guys, things can't be patrolled 24/7, to expect it to be would be unrealistic. Yes, it was a bad post. It's been deleted. I've talked to the user. Sorry I didn't deal with it the second it happened.

Yep, get irritated with the people who dislike seeing content that can very reasonably be interpreted as homophobic outside of context, and not the person who posted it, or has historically posted ableist and agist content that sits on the site for days. Totally directing your frustration at the right people.

Quote:No sexist, racist or offensive language of any kind will be allowed. Postings of a sexual nature are also prohibited. Waterloo Region Connected will immediately remove all posts that violate the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and any and all posts deemed to be offensive or discriminatory.

Can't imagine why people would be expecting timely - or "immediate" - action. It's only a code of conduct after all, not anything important.

(08-26-2022, 09:01 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 06:46 PM)Spokes Wrote: Guys, things can't be patrolled 24/7, to expect it to be would be unrealistic. Yes, it was a bad post. It's been deleted. I've talked to the user. Sorry I didn't deal with it the second it happened.

Yep, get irritated with the people who dislike seeing content that can very reasonably be interpreted as homophobic outside of context, and not the person who posted it, or has historically posted ableist and agist content that sits on the site for days. Totally directing your frustration at the right people.

Quote:No sexist, racist or offensive language of any kind will be allowed. Postings of a sexual nature are also prohibited. Waterloo Region Connected will immediately remove all posts that violate the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and any and all posts deemed to be offensive or discriminatory.

Can't imagine why people would be expecting timely - or "immediate" - action. It's only a code of conduct after all, not anything important.

Huh

If I understand correctly, Spokes runs this site for free as a volunteer effort. How you think they are supposed to do anything “immediately” is beyond me.

If you want the site scanned for questionable content in real time, do it yourself.

(the fact that the code of conduct says it will be removed “immediately” is obviously meant to convey emphasis, and also suggest that action will be taken as soon as a need to take action is known; it does not indicate that things that need to be removed will be removed as soon as they are posted)

We should all be grateful to Spokes and other creators who do positive things for the community. It is highly damaging to the community to hold those people to any grossly unreasonable standard.
(08-26-2022, 01:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: We should all be grateful to Spokes and other creators who do positive things for the community. It is highly damaging to the community to hold those people to any grossly unreasonable standard.

I am grateful to Spokes, and to Tom. And to Ac3r, whose content is very largely fantastic, and occasionally peppered with prejudice which can also harmful to a community.

Being grateful to someone does not free them of criticism.

Creating a community like this is a lot of work, and it carries with it a lot of responsibility. The post was up for over 24 hours at the time of my comment. Even with your interpretation of immediate, that is a lot of time.

A Code of Conduct is a very important promise from those responsible for a community to the members of it. This was a failure to uphold a commitment that the administration of this site made to all its users. You are welcome to think of me what you like, but I will not apologize for holding them to the standard they set.

Edited to add: The way to make things obvious is to use words in a way that is supported by their dictionary definition.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »