Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
(11-19-2021, 06:03 PM)KevinL Wrote: I presume VIA will be prepared to dispose of the property once service moves on. The question then is who would take it over; it's a listed heritage structure with limits on how it can be modified, which would further complicate that.

One assumes that the station will eventually be incorporated into a larger development.

That's my hope. Keep both buildings...the original and the modernist addition next door.
(11-19-2021, 09:30 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Did you read the whole article ?

The closure won’t affect bike traffic or walkers. Maintaining convenient pedestrian and cycling access between the Breithaupt neighbourhood and downtown is “critical,” officials say, and the transit hub’s design will include a bike and pedestrian corridor, with direct access to the train platforms.

I'll bet they block pedestrian access along Duke for more than a year between now and completion of the hub.
(11-19-2021, 08:02 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(11-19-2021, 09:30 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Did you read the whole article ?

The closure won’t affect bike traffic or walkers. Maintaining convenient pedestrian and cycling access between the Breithaupt neighbourhood and downtown is “critical,” officials say, and the transit hub’s design will include a bike and pedestrian corridor, with direct access to the train platforms.

I'll bet they block pedestrian access along Duke for more than a year between now and completion of the hub.

Lol, should we start a pot?
This article indicates work could begin as soon as then fall, though unclear.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-fall.html

https://archive.ph/0LHy1
(04-25-2022, 02:02 PM)CP42 Wrote: This article indicates work could begin as soon as then fall, though unclear.

I have heard rumblings of significant price increases since the project was originally proposed in 2020. Like we could have almost built 1.5 train stations if we started in 2020. I have a bad feeling like we may see a mediocre bare bones value engineered train station built, unless the region can somehow secure more funding. Should be interesting to see how this progresses. I don't love the current proposed station, but it is at least a unique structure.
(04-25-2022, 03:56 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 02:02 PM)CP42 Wrote: This article indicates work could begin as soon as then fall, though unclear.

I have heard rumblings of significant price increases since the project was originally proposed in 2020. Like we could have almost built 1.5 train stations if we started in 2020. I have a bad feeling like we may see a mediocre bare bones value engineered train station built, unless the region can somehow secure more funding. Should be interesting to see how this progresses. I don't love the current proposed station, but it is at least a unique structure.

Chances are you'll be correct. Prices have gone up significantly in the construction industry. It's dire and might start to slow down new construction across the board. Considering the region has already been worried about being able to afford this project, there could be a good chance this gets redesigned yet again and shrunken in size just to get something built. Or, maybe it'll end up being built in phases...hard to say. My hope is that they can start soon and build what they've proposed (though like the article says, it'll depend on Metrolinx...and we know how fast they work). It's going to be expensive, but we need a new train station and if we don't go all out now, we're just going to end up with mediocrity.

(04-25-2022, 05:40 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 03:56 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I have heard rumblings of significant price increases since the project was originally proposed in 2020. Like we could have almost built 1.5 train stations if we started in 2020. I have a bad feeling like we may see a mediocre bare bones value engineered train station built, unless the region can somehow secure more funding. Should be interesting to see how this progresses. I don't love the current proposed station, but it is at least a unique structure.

Chances are you'll be correct. Prices have gone up significantly in the construction industry. It's dire and might start to slow down new construction across the board. Considering the region has already been worried about being able to afford this project, there could be a good chance this gets redesigned yet again and shrunken in size just to get something built. Or, maybe it'll end up being built in phases...hard to say. My hope is that they can start soon and build what they've proposed (though like the article says, it'll depend on Metrolinx...and we know how fast they work). It's going to be expensive, but we need a new train station and if we don't go all out now, we're just going to end up with mediocrity.

Of course, the airport is already been completed, and now we're begging the feds not to close the only airline frequently serving our airport because its' breaking the law.

FFS....our priorities are so messed up.
Construction fencing is up from Rumple Felt to the empty lot at King and Victoria.
(05-26-2022, 04:34 PM)Chris Wrote: Construction fencing is up from Rumple Felt to the empty lot at King and Victoria.

Is this in anticipation of construction or is this to keep people off the property?
(05-26-2022, 06:40 PM)LesPio Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 04:34 PM)Chris Wrote: Construction fencing is up from Rumple Felt to the empty lot at King and Victoria.

Is this in anticipation of construction or is this to keep people off the property?

I saw this today and also had the same thought.

The fencing being right up to the existing buildings makes me believe construction?
Could be to keep people off the property as they are forcing the homeless citizens off their other Victoria Street camp: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...y-now.html

I think if construction was starting we would have heard news from the region an Metrolinx. As far as I know they don't even have enough of the money for this project yet.
Maybe Get Doug Ford It Done will make an announcement at the Kitchener Rally tonight?

(05-27-2022, 08:58 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Maybe Get Doug Ford It Done will make an announcement at the Kitchener Rally tonight?

I just saw a picture of his tour bus on The Record. That is a really bad design and now I totally understand your comment Smile
What's the status/next steps on this? They seem to be a decade behind schedule.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »