Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-16-2022, 06:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: What I think should happen is that every driver who does this gets ticketed. Leaving aside a more serious (as in, not a joke, the way our licensing currently is) enforcement scheme, they could probably ticket 2-3 dangerous drivers a day, at that rate, we'd have a real enforcement mechanism on our hands...

Makes sense. They have video of the offence, so ticketing the vehicle owner shouldn’t be a problem.

And I am utterly uninterested in the whole “but who was driving?” argument. OK, either report that the vehicle was stolen at the time, or recover the fine from the driver. Vehicle owners have to be responsible for the authorized operation of their vehicles. Same comment applies to red-light cameras, speed cameras, and any other automated enforcement mechanism.

One strange thing I noticed: the footage in the video is of very low quality. Yet run-of-the-mill surveillance cameras provide HD colour footage. Did they deliberately reduce the quality for some reason? I can see why they might blur license plates or other identifying marks, but reducing the quality of the entire clip seems like a strange decision.

(09-17-2022, 08:09 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-16-2022, 06:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: What I think should happen is that every driver who does this gets ticketed. Leaving aside a more serious (as in, not a joke, the way our licensing currently is) enforcement scheme, they could probably ticket 2-3 dangerous drivers a day, at that rate, we'd have a real enforcement mechanism on our hands...

Makes sense. They have video of the offence, so ticketing the vehicle owner shouldn’t be a problem.

And I am utterly uninterested in the whole “but who was driving?” argument. OK, either report that the vehicle was stolen at the time, or recover the fine from the driver. Vehicle owners have to be responsible for the authorized operation of their vehicles. Same comment applies to red-light cameras, speed cameras, and any other automated enforcement mechanism.

One strange thing I noticed: the footage in the video is of very low quality. Yet run-of-the-mill surveillance cameras provide HD colour footage. Did they deliberately reduce the quality for some reason? I can see why they might blur license plates or other identifying marks, but reducing the quality of the entire clip seems like a strange decision.

I agree (and in the UK they can fine the owner if the driver refuses to identify the owner), but it would take a change to provincial law in order to hold owners responsible in the manner you identify. Red-light cameras (and speed cameras, and parking tickets) are an explicit carve-out rather than a broadly permissive law. I don't even think the carveout is broad enough to ticket illegal turns only red light violations.

But given that it's something the province must do I understand that GRT/Region/etc. cannot do themselves. But there is nothing to stop WRPS from contacting the driver and requesting that they identify who was driving at the time, nothing besides WRPS disinterest in enforcing the rules of the road.

Yeah, I also noticed the quality is very low. I expect this is nothing more than bureaucratic bullshit leading to garbage cameras being used. There is no motivation to spring for better cameras. It is a shame because WRPS could more easily hold people accountable for their dangerous driving...oh, here's a picture of the registered vehicle owner, and here's a high quality HD image of the driver who cut off the LRT, compare the two.

FWIW....dash cams in general are pretty trash. A base model GO Pro will capture a significantly better image for around the same cost as a mid-range dash cam, but have none of the "dashcam" features. It's nothing short of a failure of capitalism causing this--there's like two manufacturers of dashcam chips and sensors and rolling your own camera is difficult, so every dashcam just grabs one of these off the shelf components, and they're both trash.
(09-17-2022, 10:10 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: FWIW....dash cams in general are pretty trash. A base model GO Pro will capture a significantly better image for around the same cost as a mid-range dash cam, but have none of the "dashcam" features. It's nothing short of a failure of capitalism causing this--there's like two manufacturers of dashcam chips and sensors and rolling your own camera is difficult, so every dashcam just grabs one of these off the shelf components, and they're both trash.

I mean, I know nothing about the dashcam industry like you seem to, but I think I disagree with your conclusion. I have watched thousands of dashcam videos (bit of a hobby I guess), and these days I would say the average camera in a car qualifies as "good". Especially in the last few years, the average quality has greatly increased.

This footage is like pre-2010 Russian dashcam quality. The only real excuse for this quality is if they are cheaping on storage/retention costs with what looks like a ton of compression, though I would still disagree with that decision. If all of their platform and bus footage is the same quality, then that is probably the reason.
(09-17-2022, 08:35 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(09-17-2022, 10:10 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: FWIW....dash cams in general are pretty trash. A base model GO Pro will capture a significantly better image for around the same cost as a mid-range dash cam, but have none of the "dashcam" features. It's nothing short of a failure of capitalism causing this--there's like two manufacturers of dashcam chips and sensors and rolling your own camera is difficult, so every dashcam just grabs one of these off the shelf components, and they're both trash.

I mean, I know nothing about the dashcam industry like you seem to, but I think I disagree with your conclusion. I have watched thousands of dashcam videos (bit of a hobby I guess), and these days I would say the average camera in a car qualifies as "good". Especially in the last few years, the average quality has greatly increased.

This footage is like pre-2010 Russian dashcam quality. The only real excuse for this quality is if they are cheaping on storage/retention costs with what looks like a ton of compression, though I would still disagree with that decision. If all of their platform and bus footage is the same quality, then that is probably the reason.

I mean...everything is relative, pre-2010 dashcams and LRT cameras are clearly much worse than the HD video you get from a modern midrange dashcam.

But if you compare it with the video you get from even the base model GO Pro (about the same price point)...you can see it's actually quite bad, especially with weak lighting and motion. I'm not an expert in the field but this is a pretty good summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnyhHl3...usTechTips

Storage is cheap, even when using dedicated IPTV recording hardware and storage. The problem is they probably aren't doing this. They are probably using a custom built solution, one that has probably been in use for more than a decade (because you have to amortise the investment in a custom solution).
Does anybody remember what the reason given was why we only got trams every 10 minutes at peak instead of 8 minutes?
Originally it was to allow for vehicles to be taken out of service to repair the welding issues. Probably now, because there’s always a few damaged from drivers.
It's more than just the ION which has seen pre-pandemic service cancelled.

Honestly, the damage done to transit is insane...even though ridership has returned, investment has not.

(09-25-2022, 12:59 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's more than just the ION which has seen pre-pandemic service cancelled.

Honestly, the damage done to transit is insane...even though ridership has returned, investment has not.

Politicians see it as a one-time budget expense, not an ongoing investment. What a short-sighted mess.
local cambridge weirdo
(09-25-2022, 12:18 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Originally it was to allow for vehicles to be taken out of service to repair the welding issues.

We had a loaner for that, which eventually became wholly ours after the court settlement

(09-25-2022, 12:18 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Probably now, because there’s always a few damaged from drivers.

Except for the one that was recently hit by a cement truck, replacing a fibreglass panel only takes a day or two mostly dependent upon scheduling of the mechanics rather than how long it takes to do.

Also, the 10 minute service plan only needs 10 trams on the tracks at one time. Minus 515 subbing in for whichever one is currently getting rewelded, that's still 4 free trams at any one time.

The original 8 minute service plan only need 12 of the 14 on the tracks at any one time.
Ah hah! Googling has finally turned up a reason Article from April 2020 https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html

It was apparently due to issues with the trams, and Peter Zinck said there was no timeline but thought it would be "months" before the issues were corrected.

I've emailed the interim transit commissioner, Neil Malcom and a few Regional Council members asking for an update on this and how soon we can expect 8 minute frequencies since 2-3 years should have been enough time to solve an issue only needing months.
(09-25-2022, 01:32 PM)bravado Wrote:
(09-25-2022, 12:59 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's more than just the ION which has seen pre-pandemic service cancelled.

Politicians see it as a one-time budget expense, not an ongoing investment. What a short-sighted mess.

To be fair, the same applies to the road network: if we properly maintained it, it would be even more unreasonably expensive than it already is.
(09-25-2022, 08:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-25-2022, 01:32 PM)bravado Wrote: Politicians see it as a one-time budget expense, not an ongoing investment. What a short-sighted mess.

To be fair, the same applies to the road network: if we properly maintained it, it would be even more unreasonably expensive than it already is.

Oh man that's my dream... imagine if the average voter heard about how expensive the roads are as often as they heard about how expensive the LRT is.
local cambridge weirdo
(09-25-2022, 08:08 PM)bravado Wrote:
(09-25-2022, 08:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: To be fair, the same applies to the road network: if we properly maintained it, it would be even more unreasonably expensive than it already is.

Oh man that's my dream... imagine if the average voter heard about how expensive the roads are as often as they heard about how expensive the LRT is.

I tried with comparing that short section of Highland getting an expansion being equal or greater cost than the whole downtown cycling grid network. Doesn't work.

(09-29-2022, 09:15 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(09-25-2022, 08:08 PM)bravado Wrote: Oh man that's my dream... imagine if the average voter heard about how expensive the roads are as often as they heard about how expensive the LRT is.

I tried with comparing that short section of Highland getting an expansion being equal or greater cost than the whole downtown cycling grid network. Doesn't work.

It rarely works. The opposition just move the goalposts. I find that's when the idea of merit comes up as "only build it where there's enough cyclists".
(09-30-2022, 12:14 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 09:15 PM)cherrypark Wrote: I tried with comparing that short section of Highland getting an expansion being equal or greater cost than the whole downtown cycling grid network. Doesn't work.

It rarely works. The opposition just move the goalposts. I find that's when the idea of merit comes up as "only build it where there's enough cyclists".

Yeah...this is something I've come to realize. The way to convince people is not to give them facts and figures. People who are convinced by facts and figures are already convinced--or at least not in opposition because they don't have any facts and figures.

The way to convince most people is to tell stories, give a compelling narrative. It's an unfortunate realization for me because I'm much better at facts and figures than I am at storytelling.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »