Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 municipal election publicity
She's been in this game a long time. A "good" politician knows what to say whilst actually doing nothing. It's all about conning people.

The Mount Hope Breithaupt Park Neighbourhood Association has posted the Ward 10 candidate meeting they recorded this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqnBWCR...CUEj6lg_qA

Original source http://www.mhbpna.org/2022/10/04/video-r...s-meeting/
(10-05-2022, 10:28 AM)ac3r Wrote: She's been in this game a long time. A "good" politician knows what to say whilst actually doing nothing. It's all about conning people.

Nah...she believes what she says.

She's just wrong. Unfortunately her wrongness is incredibly harmful to our city.
“We can work together to create 15 min communities”

Proceeds to oppose every application within a stones throw of a downtown LRT station.
There are three more debates planned for some of the underappreciated races. They are all to be held at the Victoria Hills Community Centre. The organizer is Shirley from the Cherry Park neighbourhood association, and they could probably use some help in recording these debates and posting them online. (That is not a demand on Bytor -- there are other people who might be interested too.)

Sat, Oct 15, 1:00pm: WRDSB Public School Trustee Debate, Victoria Hills Community Centre, 10 Chopin Drive, Kitchener, ON

Sun, Oct 16, 1:00pm: WCDSB Catholic School Trustee Debate, Victoria Hills Community Centre, 10 Chopin Drive, Kitchener, ON

Sun, Oct 23, 1:00pm: Regional Councillors Debate (Kitchener), Victoria Hills Community Centre, 10 Chopin Drive, Kitchener, ON

(Yes, the timing of that last one is awkward. Oh well.)

I also saw Dan Brotherston's post on the CTV coverage of KW wards. I have tracked down all articles except: Kitchener Ward 5, Waterloo wards 1, 3, 8. If anybody can find these that would be great.
The KW Chamber of Commerce recorded some much-needed debates, including one for the Kitchener candidates for Regional Council. https://greaterkwchamber.com/municipal-e...te-forums/
There are at least two websites that I have found pushing anti-gay, anti-trans agendas and telling people which "anti-woke" candidates to chose for school board trustees.

"Know Your WRDSB Trustees" and "Vote Against Woke"

Because they are telling people to vote for specific candidates, that makes it political advertising, and that means they must register with the municipalities they are doing this for and must, on their websites, post contact information and sources of funding.

They websites are not doing that, which means they are breaking the law.

This lack of transparency is ironic because the local group say one of the things they want is to "Increase transparency in the instruction that students receive and in the activities of the board" but they don;t hold themselves to that same standard.

I made a TikTok about this: https://www.tiktok.com/@bytor1970/video/...3746987270

(10-14-2022, 04:53 PM)Bytor Wrote: There are at least two websites that I have found pushing anti-gay, anti-trans agendas and telling people which "anti-woke" candidates to chose for school board trustees.

"Know Your WRDSB Trustees" and "Vote Against Woke"

Because they are telling people to vote for specific candidates, that makes it political advertising, and that means they must register with the municipalities they are doing this for and must, on their websites, post contact information and sources of funding.

They websites are not doing that, which means they are breaking the law.

This lack of transparency is ironic because the local group say one of the things they want is to "Increase transparency in the instruction that students receive and in the activities of the board" but they don;t hold themselves to that same standard.

I made a TikTok about this: https://www.tiktok.com/@bytor1970/video/...3746987270

Yeah, this came up on twitter.

The registrant for these domains is unspecified (very common, to avoid spam) but the DNS points towards WIX and Tucows is the registrar, both companies must collect payment information for their services.

This is a criminal act, and should be investigated. The investigation is pretty trivial, it just requires those with the proper authority to request the records from WIX and Tucows.

If we don't enforce our laws, we no longer have a society. Source: See USA-Jan 2021, See Ottawa-Jan 2022.
Once again, I am going to ask whether anybody here would be willing to record the school trustee debates Saturday and/or Sunday. (Saturday is more important.) The debates are 1-3pm at Victoria Hills Community Centre, 10 Chopin Drive. I feel that this would be an important contribution to the election, but I can't do it myself.
OK, so who are the WRDSB candidates best positioned to defeat these bigots? I don't have any real agenda for schools but these people should not be on the school board.
WRDSB all-candidates got recorded: https://archive.org/details/2022-10-15-w...er-meeting

We are still looking for somebody to help with Sunday's meeting. (I definitely will not be able to do that one.)
(10-15-2022, 10:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK, so who are the WRDSB candidates best positioned to defeat these bigots? I don't have any real agenda for schools but these people should not be on the school board.

I'm in Kitchener, my picks are: Laurie Tremble, Joanne Weston, Maedith Radlein, Meena Waseem
(10-16-2022, 11:22 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-15-2022, 10:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK, so who are the WRDSB candidates best positioned to defeat these bigots? I don't have any real agenda for schools but these people should not be on the school board.

I'm in Kitchener, my picks are: Laurie Tremble, Joanne Weston, Maedith Radlein, Meena Waseem

Those are my picks as well.

John Oliver has a fantastic segment on trans rights. Obviously given it's his show it is US focused, but the parallels with Canada and specifically our election here are right on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8NvPPH...eekTonight

And....if I may grab my soap box for a moment...I am so tired of Canada and Canadians resting on our own laurels, pointing at the US and saying, boy aren't we glad we're not them, while simultaneously blindly barrelling towards the same damn place. Today, it's trustee elections. But we've already seen this hate make inroads into federal and provincial politics.

I disagree with your assessment. I’m voting for them
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »