Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
At least it's all primed white for when actual colours are back in style...

(10-24-2022, 02:36 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 01:16 PM)Chris Wrote: Updated photo with the flashing installed above the store fronts taken today at lunch.

(09-20-2022, 02:34 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: That looks soooo much worse. I really hate this monochrome white/grey/black fad that's happening right now.

Just to make things worse, today I encountered a repaint of a repaint. This is 294 Chandler Dr, which faces Ottawa at Westmount. From Street View, its paint job from about 2012:

(Ottawa & Westmount building -- old paint job)

And after a repaint sometime in the last year:

(Ottawa & Westmount building -- new paint job)

Not going to lie, I thought I was losing my mind when I drove by the building a few weeks ago, and saw the paint job. I was 100% sure it looked different, thus confirming that there is a glitch in the matrix. Turns out it was actually repainted...LOL.
New to the Application Status Report

“ Proposing a 34 storey 323 unit multiple residential building with 312 m2 ground floor commercial area and associated structured parking”

1200 Fischer Hallman road
(11-09-2022, 10:10 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: New to the Application Status Report

“ Proposing a 34 storey  323 unit multiple residential building with 312 m2 ground floor commercial area  and associated structured parking”

As someone who used to live in Williamsburg and currently in Rosenberg I'm all for this. Density will bring more amenities. I'm going to guess that there will be a ton of Nimby's for this one, its right beside a farm house and everyone in my neighbourhood is really frustrated by the slow widening of Fisher Hallman. We will hear about traffic traffic traffic for this application.
Its a good area, walking distance to the 201, 22, 33 and 12 so definitely not a transit desert!
(11-09-2022, 11:27 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 10:10 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: New to the Application Status Report

“ Proposing a 34 storey  323 unit multiple residential building with 312 m2 ground floor commercial area  and associated structured parking”

As someone who used to live in Williamsburg and currently in Rosenberg I'm all for this. Density will bring more amenities. I'm going to guess that there will be a ton of Nimby's for this one, its right beside a farm house and everyone in my neighbourhood is really frustrated by the slow widening of Fisher Hallman. We will hear about traffic traffic traffic for this application.
Its a good area, walking distance to the 201, 22, 33 and 12 so definitely not a transit desert!

I live in the neighbourhood around this and this is going to get an insane amount of NIMBY's going out in fully force against it, there are a ton of people in the neighbourhood who are opposed to the widening of Bleams so a 34 floor building is going to get ridiculous pushback. I solely really upon public transit so I can attest to the fact it isn't a transit desert. For the last 6 months or so they've been doing what could be considered preliminary work as they have cut down all the trees and ploughed the entire property. Once they ploughed it they put flags throughout where they turned up pieces of metal and ceramic so it seems like they were doing some archeological assesments. 1274 Bleams has had all this happen to it so maybe 1274 Bleams would be a phase 2? It definitely is an odd place for a tower this tall so far from the core and in a area with a lot of SFH's but I'm all for it.
I think the lot that was cleared is owned by Activa and is planned to have stacked towns. From what I can tell the tower is planned for the corner right by the roundabout.
i went digging to see what else the consultant company who put in the application has done and they've done or been significantly involved in projects like 1425 Blockline Road (12 and 8 floor building), 1430 Highland Road (one of the large developments by Ira Needles that includes stacked townhouses a 8 floor and 12 floor building), 10 college street (22 floor building Approved in Principle), 1 Young (Mayfair Hotel), as well as multiple commerical plazas and smaller projects. It makes it seem that it might actual happen if the NIMBY's don't get their way.

That's a Bernie Nimmer/vive project. Don't expect anything good.
Vide has just refurbished an Apartment building at Ottawa and Heritage and now doing the building beside. I think theyndis a good job from what incan see. They did a gut inside and out amd these look to be nice rentals now. I think Vibe has found a good niche in supporting mid level rentals.
None of Vive's stuff is necessarily award winning but it is at least decent when compared to other projects that have been built. Ophelia and Market Flats are both buildings by Vive and they do look pretty good not award winning but definitely better than something like Duke Tower. The property also isn't that large being the same size as the Duke Tower property so they can't build a massive slab tower on it which tend to look worse so I doubt anything by Vive could be that bad on this property.
If built it will definitely be the tallest building off of the CTC....
(11-11-2022, 03:06 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Vide has just refurbished an Apartment building at Ottawa and Heritage and now doing the building beside. I think theyndis a good job from what incan see. They did a gut inside and out amd these look to be nice rentals now. I think Vibe has found a good niche in supporting mid level rentals.

I don't consider one of the region's biggest/most notorious reno-viction company's to be "supporting mid level rentals" but that's just me.
(11-12-2022, 01:46 PM)Lens Wrote:
(11-11-2022, 03:06 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Vide has just refurbished an Apartment building at Ottawa and Heritage and now doing the building beside.  I think theyndis a good job from what incan see.  They did a gut inside and out amd these look to be nice rentals now.  I think Vibe has found a good niche in supporting mid level rentals.

I don't consider one of the region's biggest/most notorious reno-viction company's to be "supporting mid level rentals" but that's just me.

Glad someone is saying that! They have done hundreds of renovictions and take advantage of the market by charging insane rents (at least equal to condos) in inferior buildings

More drilling in the Ziggy's parking lot today. They did some in drilling around mid-summer and they are back this morning drilling near the entrance on King St.

Edit: Is it too early to add a rumoured or speculation thread for this property? We've talked about this a lot on here but it's spread across a few different treads as it has been developing.
IMO I'd wait until we at least know what's going in there and create a thread accordingly (listing address, building height and proposal) once it's announced. Problem with starting a thread early is that you get pages of speculation, then a project is announced and buried in the middle of the thread since it's not often the OP post gets updated. It makes things confusing to find for people.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »