Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10 Duke St W | 45 fl | Proposed
I wish someone in town doing these facade preservations would do a little more to bring that design into the podium a bit more, but I guess this rates as inoffensive if done as designed, so I'll take that over DTK down the street.

Wow now 45 stories for this one. Site Plan Application submitted June 6th. No documents yet but will post when they come out. I have a feeling this will break the 150m mark given the 6 storeys of commercial at the podium.

“Proposing an adaptive reuse project by incorporating the historical façades from the existing heritage building with a contemporary 45-storey mixed use building containing commercial and office space and 499 residential units.”
(06-07-2022, 09:04 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Wow now 45 stories for this one. Site Plan Application submitted June 6th. No documents yet but will post when they come out. I have a feeling this will break the 150m mark given the 6 storeys of commercial at the podium.

“Proposing an adaptive reuse project by incorporating the historical façades from the existing heritage building with a contemporary 45-storey  mixed use building containing commercial and office space and 499 residential units.”

If anyone wants to email the City for the docs be my guest! I think they just ignore me at this point haha
[Image: cvF2e4u.png][Image: TnpaxWq.png]
Here's the rendering of the building alone if anyone wants it:

[Image: wvDqTF9.jpg]
Is that building non-rectangular or did they completely fail at rendering a realistic perspective?
The balconies are slanted if that's what you mean, but no, the floor plan itself is rectangular

Yeah, it's a rectangular tower that matches the shape of the existing building.
It's a shame that they couldn't match more of the brick finish on the ground floor level.
I actually like it. This has a very Torontoesque Style to it as it has an old building incorporated into the podium with a modern tower on top. This isn't groundbreaking but its clean and simple.
Just going off this rendering I don't think it's the worst thing. I don't like the massing as I dislike rectangular buildings in most cases but it is what it is. I'd want to see more detailed plans on things like the materials used to the actual section drawings of things as that gives you a better idea of what it'll look like based on what they're using. But this is a fairly generic looking skyscraper so it's fine IMO.
It’s also 45 floors now. Not sure why Kirkor used an old rendering. Also this hasn’t been approved but has been with staff since June, taking a long time
It looks like the roofline is trapezoidal in the render due to how perspective gets played with on a building this tall. It's still rectangular.

(12-20-2022, 03:07 PM)KevinL Wrote: It looks like the roofline is trapezoidal in the render due to how perspective gets played with on a building this tall. It's still rectangular.

What sort of perspective draws farther away, less interesting features larger than nearer, more interesting ones? They should have used an isometric projection if they didn't want it to get smaller.
(12-20-2022, 04:22 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: What sort of perspective draws farther away, less interesting features larger than nearer, more interesting ones? They should have used an isometric projection if they didn't want it to get smaller.

I think the building rendering is isometric, but it's on top of a photo that's not. The combination of two different perspectives in a single image creates the impression of getting wider towards the top. It's pretty common in architectural renderings, this conversation has happened on this forum before for other buildings.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »