Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(11-13-2022, 07:43 PM)nms Wrote:
(11-11-2022, 12:08 AM)ac3r Wrote: The GO Transit union has reached a desk with Metrolinx to the end the strike: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/g...-1.6648745

I guess getting to a desk together is the first step to a solution. ;-)

When I am elected dictator for life, my first act will to decree that everyone on the Internet must run a grammar checker.

(11-13-2022, 10:05 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(11-13-2022, 07:43 PM)nms Wrote: I guess getting to a desk together is the first step to a solution. ;-)

When I am elected dictator for life, my first act will to decree that everyone on the Internet must run a grammar checker.

Or at least ban autocorrect ...
Oops, lol. Yeah that was probably autocorrect!
So Apparently Phil Verster, CEO of Metrolinx has received a ~700% raise in 5 years since DoFo has taken power.

In return we've seen delays, cancellations, and other mediocre performance.

Honestly...it's real easy to get super cynical when you see this bullshit happen constantly.

https://twitter.com/jennyleeshee/status/...9421384704
(01-15-2023, 09:09 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: So Apparently Phil Verster, CEO of Metrolinx has received a ~700% raise in 5 years since DoFo has taken power.

Obviously misinterpreting data to come up with a hyperbolic summary (700%) doesn't help your point. The 2018 line must be a partial year or similar, there's no way CEO of Metrolinx has ever been a $100k job, nor should it be.

It's quite possible he's overpaid, and the jump since 2020 is quite dramatic on its own without resorting to exaggeration.
(01-15-2023, 01:23 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(01-15-2023, 09:09 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: So Apparently Phil Verster, CEO of Metrolinx has received a ~700% raise in 5 years since DoFo has taken power.

Obviously misinterpreting data to come up with a hyperbolic summary (700%) doesn't help your point. The 2018 line must be a partial year or similar, there's no way CEO of Metrolinx has ever been a $100k job, nor should it be.

It's quite possible he's overpaid, and the jump since 2020 is quite dramatic on its own without resorting to exaggeration.

Yes, apparently the ~100k year is a partial for 2017 when he was hired (good job Ontario sunshine list data).

But yes, I find the ~50% pay raise kinda of offensive. No way anyone else at Metrolinx got those raises, and I feel like most of them did more to improve the company than he did.
(01-15-2023, 01:23 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

Yeah, something is off about that table. Verster was appointed president & CEO October 1st, 2017, so that 2018 salary has to be an error or only partial compensation.

Any idea how that compensation might compare with other similarly sized and publicly owned/operated transit agencies (or other similar sized Crown corporations) makes? Did the previous CEOs have similar jumps in pay, perhaps tied to performance factors that the public isn't privy to?
Thanks to the person that already archived this Record article.

How close is two-way, all-day GO train service between Kitchener and Toronto?

Work continues incrementally on infrastructure to provide service that previous Liberal government promised would be running by 2024

https://archive.ph/aadUm
(01-17-2023, 10:21 AM)Chris Wrote: Thanks to the person that already archived this Record article.

Work continues incrementally on infrastructure to provide service that previous Liberal government promised would be running by 2024

"Regional spokesperson Lynsey Slupeiks said the region provide an update on the hub in a report is released, possibly as early as February."

Grammar aside, this quote gives me some optimism that some progress is still being made on the new central terminal.
(01-17-2023, 10:21 AM)Chris Wrote: Thanks to the person that already archived this Record article.

They still need to add extra tracks to the bottleneck owned by CN between Bramalea and Georgetown, but in the past 5 years since binning the rail bypass there has been no word from the Ford Government on any new tracks being added through there. Ford & Co. also said in 2018 that they would get #2WADGO to Kitchener done "sooner" than what the Liberals had promised.
Some interesting regulatory complications have been revealed by the 2019 Lancaster incident.

A GO train seriously injured an adult and child in Kitchener in 2019. Now a safety board says Ontario does not effectively monitor and address safety of provincial railways
I'm of two minds about that article. It would not surprise me at all that there are regulatory gaps in the system, but it seems that the sheer neglect/stupidity on display by the child's guardian is now being completely overlooked.

(02-10-2023, 12:34 PM)KevinT Wrote: I'm of two minds about that article. It would not surprise me at all that there are regulatory gaps in the system, but it seems that the sheer neglect/stupidity on display by the child's guardian is now being completely overlooked.

Right, I would go so far as to say that just because somebody was injured and/or killed, it doesn’t necessarily indicate a problem with whatever system is under discussion. If the proximate cause of the incident was sufficiently unusual and irresponsible behaviour, then it’s just a natural consequence.
The CTV article has illustrations of the incident. Railway safety highlighted after 2019 incident where woman and child were hit by Go train
The lack of a train whistle meant that the pedestrians were unaware of the second train.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »