Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Victoria Park
How welcoming and charming, I sure love what cars do to our built environment  Heart
local cambridge weirdo

That really is a shame and I’d agree unnecessary. I have seen cars drive through the park but never on the island. The bollard could have been a policy, but replacing it with concrete blocks suggests this is a response to a specific incident.
Maybe the old bridge isn't able to support the loads of heavy vehicles anymore and they want to make sure no one drives a truck on it.
(02-20-2023, 08:50 AM)clasher Wrote: Maybe the old bridge isn't able to support the loads of heavy vehicles anymore and they want to make sure no one drives a truck on it.

Maybe, but if that was the case, I suspect they'd be needing to replace it then, given that the bridge is used for park service vehicles.
(02-20-2023, 12:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 08:50 AM)clasher Wrote: Maybe the old bridge isn't able to support the loads of heavy vehicles anymore and they want to make sure no one drives a truck on it.

Maybe, but if that was the case, I suspect they'd be needing to replace it then, given that the bridge is used for park service vehicles.

I'd guess keeping the 3 ton work trucks off the bridge will extend the life of the bridge. They can still drive the gators over to the island. Also it's a fairly unique historical bridge that merits conservation rather than just replacing it so trucks can drive over.
(02-20-2023, 01:00 PM)clasher Wrote:
(02-20-2023, 12:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Maybe, but if that was the case, I suspect they'd be needing to replace it then, given that the bridge is used for park service vehicles.

I'd guess keeping the 3 ton work trucks off the bridge will extend the life of the bridge. They can still drive the gators over to the island. Also it's a fairly unique historical bridge that merits conservation rather than just replacing it so trucks can drive over.

I mean, I agree, but I also expect the city to put operational requirements well in front of heritage conservation.

FWIW...like I said, I expect that it's in response to an incident.

And frankly, the snow tractors aren't light either.
I believe they used to have solid removable bollards at some point in the past (eg 20-30 years ago). I guess the new standard is these flexible ones, but they may not have stood up to abuse.

The bridge is closed for repairs. The concrete blocks were probably to ensure nothing too heavy went over it

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/victoria-pa...-1.6335675
(03-30-2023, 01:07 PM)neonjoe Wrote: The bridge is closed for repairs. The concrete blocks were probably to ensure nothing too heavy went over it

Didn't they replace the deck timber less than 10 years ago?
(03-30-2023, 02:34 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(03-30-2023, 01:07 PM)neonjoe Wrote: The bridge is closed for repairs. The concrete blocks were probably to ensure nothing too heavy went over it

Didn't they replace the deck timber less than 10 years ago?

They've done progressive repairs on it for a while, every year a few boards get replaced. I do recall another extended closure a few years back.

What really bugs me is that they consistently do not bother to schedule this outside of peak park season.
To be fair, it doesn't sound like the kind of repairs that can be done in the winter. April is probably the earliest that they can schedule anything.
I never understood why parks have roads through them. They're for people to enjoy, not drive through. Personally I would like to see the closure of Jubilee street from David Street to Water Street. There is seemingly no reason to keep this section open. The only business is the boathouse which doesn't have any parking that would need to be accessed (when it opens).
Parks have roads primarily for maintenance vehicles to utilize. Having large trucks drive over grass isn't ideal.

(06-10-2023, 06:20 PM)prisecaru0 Wrote: I never understood why parks have roads through them. They're for people to enjoy, not drive through. Personally I would like to see the closure of Jubilee street from David Street to Water Street. There is seemingly no reason to keep this section open. The only business is the boathouse which doesn't have any parking that would need to be accessed (when it opens).

You're absolutely right...it's a travesty.

It's probably the most acute case of the effect where you are made to feel insane by society, because if you ask 9 of 10 of the average citizens, they'd call you crazy for suggesting the road should be closed. It's why NJBs and his community frame the whole thing as getting "orange pilled" because people literally do not see the world...most of the time, having 9 of 10 people tell you you're crazy is a strong indication that you are...this is the exception.
(10-16-2023, 01:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: Parks have roads primarily for maintenance vehicles to utilize. Having large trucks drive over grass isn't ideal.

But that doesn't mean the roads need to be public access. You could have a narrow road for maintenance to use run through the necessary parts of the park, and gates at the road entrances to keep the park otherwise closed to vehicles.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »