Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
“Three-tower development in Kitchener expected to go ahead after settlement reached”

Paywalled but I don’t know how to get around it anymore

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ached.html

(03-23-2023, 06:34 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Paywalled but I don’t know how to get around it anymore

https://archive.is/X76Jt

Basically will go ahead unchanged, except the size of the affordable housing donation will be cut in half. I sure wish that money had gone to affordable housing and not the lawyers, thanks council.
(03-23-2023, 06:34 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: “Three-tower development in Kitchener expected to go ahead after settlement reached”

Quote:KITCHENER — A plan to build three highrise towers at Victoria and Park streets in Kitchener is expected to proceed, after a settlement was reached in an Ontario Land Tribunal appeal.

Council rejected the development proposal last year in a 6-3 vote (with two councillors declaring conflicts) despite support from city planners, prompting Toronto-based developer Dov Capital Corporation to appeal the decision to the OLT, which adjudicates planning issues.

Minutes of settlement obtained Thursday by The Record show the City of Kitchener and the Region of Waterloo reached an agreement with the developer, referred to in the documents as Innovation Developments Kitchener Limited.

The settlement still needs to be approved by the OLT; the agreement is expected to be reviewed at an OLT hearing next week.
The plan calls for a total of 1,124 units in three buildings of 25, 36 and 38 storeys, with ground-floor commercial space, 675 secure bicycle parking spots and 699 vehicle spaces.

Many of the project details originally proposed by the developer have not changed as a result of the settlement.
However, a promised donation toward affordable housing in Waterloo Region appears to be less than half what was pledged at the council meeting last year.

At that time, Dov Capital announced it would give $1.5 million toward the development of 48 new affordable housing units at the Rohr Chabad Centre for Jewish Life in Waterloo; that was in addition to a previously-promised $500,000 contribution to a local non-profit affordable housing provider.

The developer’s representatives also said there would still be a number of smaller condo units in the Kitchener project that would meet affordable housing pricing criteria.

The settlement only outlines a total of $750,000 for affordable housing — a donation of $500,000 to the Rohr Chabad Centre, and $250,000 “to support the advancement of affordable housing” in the region.

Members of council reached Thursday afternoon said they either hadn’t yet seen the settlement, or couldn’t comment until after next week’s hearing.

“The City is unable to comment on matters that are the subject of litigation with members of the public,” a spokesperson said in an email Thursday.

While resident Sheldon Atos said he expected some type of development at that intersection, he said he was disappointed about what he saw as a “total lack of meaningful public consultation prior to the development being announced.”

In an email, Atos said he fears the large project will set a precedent “for ignoring virtually all of the city’s” planning and zoning regulations.
“We’re very disappointed with the secretive manner that the city has dealt with the developer in this matter,” he said. “It was frustrating for us to be shut out of any discussion on the single largest development proposed for Victoria Street.”

The height of the buildings and increased traffic volumes were among concerns raised about the project, although other residents liked what they saw at a virtual neighbourhood meeting a year ago.

The settlement calls for the project to have at least 80 larger units — 50 two-bedroom plus den units, 13 three-bedroom units, and 17 three-bedroom units that would be made available based on demand.

The settlement also outlines a ground-floor outdoor plaza at Park and Victoria streets, and “enhanced streetscape features” along both streets.

These amenities and the larger unit breakdown were in the final plan presented to council last year.

If this is true, it's a truly embarrassing failure for city council. The project remains unchanged but the affordable housing donation is halved and lawyer fees were wasted. Every time council overrides staff recommendation is just another petulant outburst that we all end up paying for.
local cambridge weirdo
(03-23-2023, 06:47 PM)bravado Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 06:34 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: “Three-tower development in Kitchener expected to go ahead after settlement reached”

Quote:KITCHENER — A plan to build three highrise towers at Victoria and Park streets in Kitchener is expected to proceed, after a settlement was reached in an Ontario Land Tribunal appeal.

Council rejected the development proposal last year in a 6-3 vote (with two councillors declaring conflicts) despite support from city planners, prompting Toronto-based developer Dov Capital Corporation to appeal the decision to the OLT, which adjudicates planning issues.

Minutes of settlement obtained Thursday by The Record show the City of Kitchener and the Region of Waterloo reached an agreement with the developer, referred to in the documents as Innovation Developments Kitchener Limited.

The settlement still needs to be approved by the OLT; the agreement is expected to be reviewed at an OLT hearing next week.
The plan calls for a total of 1,124 units in three buildings of 25, 36 and 38 storeys, with ground-floor commercial space, 675 secure bicycle parking spots and 699 vehicle spaces.

Many of the project details originally proposed by the developer have not changed as a result of the settlement.
However, a promised donation toward affordable housing in Waterloo Region appears to be less than half what was pledged at the council meeting last year.

At that time, Dov Capital announced it would give $1.5 million toward the development of 48 new affordable housing units at the Rohr Chabad Centre for Jewish Life in Waterloo; that was in addition to a previously-promised $500,000 contribution to a local non-profit affordable housing provider.

The developer’s representatives also said there would still be a number of smaller condo units in the Kitchener project that would meet affordable housing pricing criteria.

The settlement only outlines a total of $750,000 for affordable housing — a donation of $500,000 to the Rohr Chabad Centre, and $250,000 “to support the advancement of affordable housing” in the region.

Members of council reached Thursday afternoon said they either hadn’t yet seen the settlement, or couldn’t comment until after next week’s hearing.

“The City is unable to comment on matters that are the subject of litigation with members of the public,” a spokesperson said in an email Thursday.

While resident Sheldon Atos said he expected some type of development at that intersection, he said he was disappointed about what he saw as a “total lack of meaningful public consultation prior to the development being announced.”

In an email, Atos said he fears the large project will set a precedent “for ignoring virtually all of the city’s” planning and zoning regulations.
“We’re very disappointed with the secretive manner that the city has dealt with the developer in this matter,” he said. “It was frustrating for us to be shut out of any discussion on the single largest development proposed for Victoria Street.”

The height of the buildings and increased traffic volumes were among concerns raised about the project, although other residents liked what they saw at a virtual neighbourhood meeting a year ago.

The settlement calls for the project to have at least 80 larger units — 50 two-bedroom plus den units, 13 three-bedroom units, and 17 three-bedroom units that would be made available based on demand.

The settlement also outlines a ground-floor outdoor plaza at Park and Victoria streets, and “enhanced streetscape features” along both streets.

These amenities and the larger unit breakdown were in the final plan presented to council last year.

If this is true, it's a truly embarrassing failure for city council. The project remains unchanged but the affordable housing donation is halved and lawyer fees were wasted. Every time council overrides staff recommendation is just another petulant outburst that we all end up paying for.
Anyone else planning on emailing Debbie and congratulate her on her waste of tax payers money? Joking aside, I am happy this project will get the go ahead. This will be a huge improvement to the area, it might also show local developers how to design a podium.
Everyone expects Debbie to vote no; she's a proud defender of abandoned corner stores and heritage parking lots. This one was weird because even Mayor Berry voted no. Was the whole charade just for the sake of getting re-elected? Shame!!!
(03-24-2023, 08:17 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Everyone expects Debbie to vote no; she's a proud defender of abandoned corner stores and heritage parking lots. This one was weird because even Mayor Berry voted no. Was the whole charade just for the sake of getting re-elected? Shame!!!

Not defending the mayor, but i believe the vote was already lost when it got to him. So he probably took it as a chance to appease the NIMBY demo without actually changing any outcomes
Man, if I lost my employer 3/4 of a million dollars I'd get fired.

(03-24-2023, 09:07 AM)Chris Wrote: Man, if I lost my employer 3/4 of a million dollars I'd get fired.

Unfortunately, it is up the people in her riding to keep her accountable for actions. This was a complete farce, this vote never should have taken place 3 months before an election. Half the councillors that voted against staff recommendations it probably did so just to to appease the NIMBY vote and in turn cost the city over a million dollars.
How is it possible to reach a settlement in a Land Tribunal appeal without the Councillors knowing what it provides for? Who is running this show?
(03-24-2023, 01:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: How is it possible to reach a settlement in a Land Tribunal appeal without the Councillors knowing what it provides for?  Who is running this show?

I think it's that staff have reached a settlement, which needs to be approved by council at the next council meeting. Councillors will know before they vote on approving, but may not know yet (councillor is still a part time job here).
(03-24-2023, 08:24 AM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 08:17 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Everyone expects Debbie to vote no; she's a proud defender of abandoned corner stores and heritage parking lots. This one was weird because even Mayor Berry voted no. Was the whole charade just for the sake of getting re-elected? Shame!!!

Not defending the mayor, but i believe the vote was already lost when it got to him. So he probably took it as a chance to appease the NIMBY demo without actually changing any outcomes

100%. That this was voted on around election time was a slap in the face.
(03-23-2023, 06:41 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 06:34 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Paywalled but I don’t know how to get around it anymore

Basically will go ahead unchanged, except the size of the affordable housing donation will be cut in half. I sure wish that money had gone to affordable housing and not the lawyers, thanks council.

You can thank Debbie Chapman for that. She cares little about the city or its expenses, just her job and how she can maintain it. Expect something similar next election.
(03-24-2023, 02:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 01:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: How is it possible to reach a settlement in a Land Tribunal appeal without the Councillors knowing what it provides for?  Who is running this show?

I think it's that staff have reached a settlement, which needs to be approved by council at the next council meeting. Councillors will know before they vote on approving, but may not know yet (councillor is still a part time job here).

Overpaid job though - limited to 840 hours per year, about 17 hours per week, and earn $65,000, or $77/hour per hour. This is 4.5x the living wage, yet at the same time, they treat their PT workers like complete shit.

My take as towards the settlement - the city knows it will lose, and fighting further will only cost us more, and reduce any benefit. We already lost a huge chunk of affordable housing component (the donation) because council and the mayor have no backbone and wanted to ensure re-election.

(03-24-2023, 02:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

Council voted at the February 27th council meeting to settle. I think they are just waiting for final OLT approval. https://twitter.com/m2bowman/status/1630...23968?s=20
Based on the going rate to develop affordable housing units, $2 million wasn't going to go far anyways (and might only represent the gross sale price of 2-3 units sold in this development).  I would be more upset if the original proposal had promised 200 affordable housing units on site (out of the proposed 1,124) and that number was going to be reduced.  

As an aside, the Rohr Chabad Centre for Jewish Life is currently at 251 Albert St, Waterloo, just north of University.  I wonder if they have plans to build their 48 units of housing on that site, or have some other site in mind.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »