Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
A new members club has opened in Waterloo Region.  La La Social House is associated with The Laundry Rooms which seems to be an short-term stay operator next in condo building locations in Waterloo, Hamilton, Cambridge and Kitchener.

The website is fairly sparse, but CTV reports that the monthly membership fee is $79. CTV reports that club members will get, everything from "music performances by Canadian and international artists to tech talks and different themed nights" which will "give guests what they can't get at other local bars."

(06-11-2023, 10:03 PM)nms Wrote: A new members club has opened in Waterloo Region.  La La Social House is associated with The Laundry Rooms which seems to be an short-term stay operator next in condo building locations in Waterloo, Hamilton, Cambridge and Kitchener.

The website is fairly sparse, but CTV reports that the monthly membership fee is $79. CTV reports that club members will get, everything from "music performances by Canadian and international artists to tech talks and different themed nights" which will "give guests what they can't get at other local bars."

Sooooooo.....tech talks then?

Themed nights, live music, all available at local bars...not sure I want tech talks at a bar...
I heard about this a few weeks ago. The concept seemed very odd to me, but I was thinking that it was more a restaurant than a club.
(06-11-2023, 10:03 PM)nms Wrote: A new members club has opened in Waterloo Region.  La La Social House is associated with The Laundry Rooms which seems to be an short-term stay operator next in condo building locations in Waterloo, Hamilton, Cambridge and Kitchener.

It might work out. I had a membership in the Jazz Room for its first two years and was there for two nights almost every weekend during the season.
Waterloo did have "The Waterloo Club" for the best part of a century before it relocated to downtown Kitchener (Duke & Victoria?)and rebranded it to something else. Since I can't recall the new name, I don't know whether it is still active. On a side note, given that they were around that long, and that they sold their Waterloo property, I wonder where the assets ended up?
The former crêperie at Charles and Benton (in the parking garage building) will have a new tenant! Signs are up for an LLBO application for Casa Toro, including indor and outdoor service. Hopefully this will be more successful in the space, especially as the DTK population has increased significantly since the crêperie closed.
Glad to see that spot reopen. The College students should be enough to keep it busy. The old creperie was actually quite nice, but ahead of its time.

Nice to see that get used again. I don't think it ever had more than that first tenant and they pulled out pretty quickly, leaving it dormant for years. Did anyone ever move into the second commercial space nearest Halls Lane? Edit...it would appear a place called R'Chyees Frozen Yogourt was there in 2015 and then promptly disappeared.

But outdoor service? Weird decision considering it's a major downtown intersection with 4 lanes all funneling into the intersection, numerous bus stops, the LRT going by every 10 minutes and the constant presence of junkies since they regularly shoot up in and outside that parking garage. Doesn't exactly have a nice vibe with all the traffic, noise and sketchy people that are regularly doing the zombie stance from xylazine laced street opiates...but I suppose that's the DTK brand.
(06-17-2023, 04:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Glad to see that spot reopen.  The College students should be enough to keep it busy.  The old creperie was actually quite nice, but ahead of its time.

Good crêpes, but not enough customers!
(06-17-2023, 05:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: But outdoor service? Weird decision considering it's a major downtown intersection with 4 lanes all funneling into the intersection, numerous bus stops, the LRT going by every 10 minutes and the constant presence of junkies since they regularly shoot up in and outside that parking garage.

Fewer homeless people at that corner than a block away at King St. And the traffic is not particularly heavy or noisy. The patio area will give them more capacity as the interior is quite small.
Once the parkette across the street is refurbished, the area will be a bit nicer.
(06-17-2023, 08:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-17-2023, 05:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: But outdoor service? Weird decision considering it's a major downtown intersection with 4 lanes all funneling into the intersection, numerous bus stops, the LRT going by every 10 minutes and the constant presence of junkies since they regularly shoot up in and outside that parking garage.

Fewer homeless people at that corner than a block away at King St. And the traffic is not particularly heavy or noisy. The patio area will give them more capacity as the interior is quite small.

Speakers corner has way more, but I've actually had someone clearly very high hanging out outside the garage come up and try to open my friends car door while we were waiting at the intersection - twice. I've only eaten at downtown patios I think three times in recent years, and two of those times I was made to feel very uncomfortable (one bordering on unsafe). I decided it wasn't worth it to eat at one again. Clearly others feel different though, since the patio program is fairly successful, so it's no reason not to build one (though I would note, I've seen many online do feel the same as I do).

I think the built environment of that intersection is quite unpleasant though. It doesn't carry as much traffic as it seems designed for, but it's unpleasant nonetheless. But that's more of a lack of enticement to me, than an active deterrence at least, and is a distant second concern regardless.

And personally the LRT could go through every minute without bothering me, so long as it's not squealing.
A new brewery launched this weekend in Kitchener with a take out bottle shop. Interesting retail location. Iolder Kitchener Suburbs must allow much more in the way of mixed use. https://www.twasnowbrewing.ca/

I had to look up "pico-brewery" and I still don't quite know what it is.
Meanwhile in Waterloo...

Dispute forces closure of popular Waterloo [Marble Slab Creamery] ice cream shop 

Quote:[The franchise owner] believes [Marble Slab corporate] locking her out is in response to her starting an association of franchise owners. “Prior to this, I have received numerous best operator awards. Since I started advocating on behalf of other franchisees, they have responded in an adversarial manner toward me," Schlegel-Parsons said.

Quote:On Thursday, Cam Inglis, the president of Marble Slab Creamery, told CTV News Kitchner via email the corporation plans to reopen the Waterloo location in the coming weeks.

"Unfortunately, circumstances out of our control have led us to the difficult decision to transfer ownership of the store to maintain the high operating standards we hold our locations to. We plan to reopen in the coming weeks and will offer all Waterloo employees the option to retain their positions," Inglis said.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »